Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 02:34 PM

27 posts, read 54,217 times

Advertisements

Was looking to buy a home in Chandler or Mesa but now liking Surprise. Would you say that Surprise would be just as diverse as Chandler or Mesa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 02:52 PM

19,469 posts, read 28,029,055 times
I would say Chandler is considerably more diverse than Mesa and Surprise. If diversity were my primary goal, I'd be looking at Phoenix, Scottsdale, Chandler and Tempe. Those are listed in no particular order of preference. (I'm assuming that diversity means color, ethnicity, religion and sexual preference.)

But, as always, if you are considering living in the Phoenix metro area, your PRIMARY consideration should be where you will be working.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:01 PM

Were are narrowing it down to Chandler and Surprise, low crime and found homes in our range, Are there ppl from PA, NYC, also ppl from the UK in Chandler & Surprise areas?

Old 01-05-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunniaz View Post
Were are narrowing it down to Chandler and Surprise, low crime and found homes in our range, Are there ppl from PA, NYC, also ppl from the UK in Chandler & Surprise areas?
Of course. In fact, I grew up on Long Island, NY, moved to Philly, PA when I was 18, then moved to Scottsdale when I was 34. Lived in Chandler for many years. (AND my mother was from the UK.)

Where are you going to be working? Or are you retired?

Old 01-05-2012, 04:10 PM

semi retired. Would you say Chandler will be better then Surprise for a couple of 40yrs no kids? We are active and like outdoors. We like to be were there are things going on friendly ppl socializing out and about. Husband likes adult soccer pick ups. I'm born in Long Island Ny, from Great Neck, grew up mostly in PA, husband from UK. Are U still in AZ? I hear all good things about AZ other then traffic and heat. How would you rate Az as compared to the North?

Old 01-05-2012, 04:37 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,144,184 times
Chandler might be more your style. I've never lived in either but my feeling about Surprise is it's 'starter homes', in large part. I might be wrong.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:08 PM

I'm confused what do you mean by starter homes?

Old 01-05-2012, 05:17 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,584,827 times
Funny that I'm in the Phoenix/Chandler/Tempe area and also have an apartment in the southeast U.S. The Southeast apartment is far more racially diverse - more blacks per capita - than anywhere I lived in Phoenix. I don't know why "diversity" is a recurrent grave concern on this Phoenix City Data site because Phoenix is one of the five largest metropolitan areas in the U.S. and should be "hip" to diversity. I have mostly been romantically involved with women of other races in Phoenix. So I tend to "seek" different skin colors.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunniaz View Post
semi retired. Would you say Chandler will be better then Surprise for a couple of 40yrs no kids? We are active and like outdoors. We like to be were there are things going on friendly ppl socializing out and about. Husband likes adult soccer pick ups. I'm born in Long Island Ny, from Great Neck, grew up mostly in PA, husband from UK. Are U still in AZ? I hear all good things about AZ other then traffic and heat. How would you rate Az as compared to the North?
HOW AMAZING IS THIS? I grew up in Great Neck - graduated from Great Neck South in 1974.

I'm not nearly as familiar with Surprise as I am with Chandler. I can tell you this: Chandler is a wonderful place to live if you like restaurants, especially Asian restaurants. The East Valley has the fastest growing Asian population in the country.

I've been here since 1989. The summer heat and the traffic get worse every year. That said, if you are used to the traffic of NYC or Philly, you won't consider Phoenix to have ANY traffic. Unlike the LI Expressway, traffic in Phoenix is always moving. You are never at a standstill, unless there is a horrible accident. But the road system just isn't as built out and public transportation is negligible.

My best advice is to rent for 6-24 months before buying a home. That's really the ONLY way to properly determine which area you like the best.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:43 PM

Wow small world I guess! This is great info I appreciate it. I guess if you lived in AZ and stayed that many years it must be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area