Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 04:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,727 times

Advertisements

How is the greater Phoenix area for a young couple (19 & 21) looking to relocate from Bellevue, WA?

We both work in the restaurant industry and would be looking to do the same in Phoenix/Tempe/Scottsdale. We both do fairly well serving tables here (anywhere from 2500-3500 a month), could we expect the same in an area like Scottsdale?

How easy is it to rent a place down there, and how cheap for a nice 1 bedroom in a decent area?

How are the colleges and nightlife?

How is the local economy?

Would this be a smart choice or should we look elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 07:45 PM

41 posts, read 79,411 times
The local economy seems to be doing pretty well and as long as you have some prospects or jobs lined up prior to making the move, I don't think you could end up in a better area. Definitely check out Scottsdale and north Phoenix (desert ridge) as there are tons of restaurants that seem crowded most of the time. With that sort of income, you could probably buy a house here actually if you play your cards right, or at least rent one. We pay about 880 for a really nice 2 bath, 2 bedroom in a great area with a view, fireplace and all the amenities you could ask for. Have you guys been down here before? The nightlife in certain areas like Scottsdale or mill ave. In Tempe is awesome and quite vibrant, colleges... Well, we have ASU and a few others can chime in about those hopefully. I moved here from California (orange county) and you couldn't pay me to move back, if that's any indication. I wish you the best of luck!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:21 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,793,392 times
You will be lucky to make 2500 between the two of you. tacking on 9.4% to someone's bar tab in taxes never really does much for the tips.

I would say bring 10K, get an apartment for less than 600Moderator cut: off topic. There is a long off-season here......Some income can go very far here--no income and poor spending habits will send you home broker than you came. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Kimballette; 09-09-2011 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: off topic - read the o/p's post, please

Old 09-08-2011, 11:37 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,776,244 times
Moderator cut: snip

Any OP at your age its a good time to take the plunge before you get tied down. There are a lot of resorts in Scottsdale and the Biltmore area of Phoenix. The winter season will be arriving shortly so a good time to get your feet wet. If you want the college scene that will be around ASU on Mill Ave.

Last edited by Kimballette; 09-09-2011 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: removed references to deleted comments

Old 09-09-2011, 12:20 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,793,392 times
As of late April, there were no Help Wanted signs at the restaurants on Mill. A good percentage of the populace is not of legal age to drink. You could do an 8 hour shift at Denny's and make less than 20 in tips......

Old 09-09-2011, 01:56 AM

41 posts, read 79,411 times
Or they could work at a resort in Scottsdale or north Phoenix and make bank... Why so negative? I'm 26 and i took the plunge. So far, it has been the best decision of my life. I say do it and keep a positive attitude!

Old 09-09-2011, 05:38 AM

213 posts, read 377,622 times
Default Go for it!!

You are young and have nothing to lose. Definitely go for it!!! Don't wait until you are old and stuck in a rut. Took me 46 years to get the courage to do it.....We will be in Scottsdale on Dec. 1. Already sold our house at a $10,000 loss....but I don't care....ANYTHING to be in the SUN!!! My husband has an excellent job but still doesn't make enough to allow me to live the lifestyle I'm accustomed to; therefore, I will be looking for a job as soon as I get there. I'm willing to lower my standard of living to live there. I'm sure you will too. Maybe no more granite and stainless but I will definitely be living the dream.......It's all about attitude and perspective. To be honest....I'd live in a tent to be in the sun if I had too....You have no idea how depressing it is to live in the grayness of Central NY.....

Also, my 24 year old son and his girlfriend will be living with us out there until they find jobs. If you want it to work and you're hard working and aggressive, it WILL work. Don't listen to the naysayers....prove them wrong!!!

Old 09-09-2011, 11:32 AM

19,461 posts, read 27,955,044 times
I'd agree that now is a good time in your lives tI take a risk. Try to line up at least one job before the both of you move. Finding jobs in the resorts that ALSO cater to businesses will provide you some tips during the slower summer season - they still do corporate events.

Chain restaurants that are in fashion NOW and in good locations also get business in the summer. For example, PF Changs is ALWAYS busy at most locations, lunch, dinner, happy hour.

Second jobs working with banquets or caterers can also be very lucrative.

Whatever you do - RENT. Don't get yourselves tied down to the area(or each other) until you have a good idea of what you want and that it's right for both of you.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:59 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,065,645 times
There are lots of community colleges in the valley, as well as several trade schools, and also the University of Phoenix, which offers online degrees.

It is a great time in your life to explore new things. Just make sure you have some money saved for emergencies....note, I say emergency instead of a rainy day....those days will be few and far between!

Old 09-09-2011, 06:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,727 times
We have about 11k in savings right. We just don't want to move there and end up wasting time and money and having to move back or elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area