Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:07 PM

54 posts, read 112,507 times

Advertisements

My husband, myself and our business partner (Phillipino) and his family will be relocating in the very near future to the Phoenix area NW. They returned last evening from a couple day visit and our partner noted he saw no others like himself. (He presently lives in Fremont Ca which is predominantly Asian) He has a 4 yr old who is very bright and we will all be looking to live in a community where there is hopefully acceptance of everyone.

I guess I'm just not too savvy in my searches as I have not been able to find anything when I search for anything Philippino?....

Can anyone direct me or share any information on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 07:57 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
There is a larger Filpino population in the SE part of the metro Phoenix area (Chandler, particularly) than in other areas of the Valley. You might start here: Filipino-American Association of Arizona - One mind, one heart, one family...FAAAZ for some info.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:31 PM

142 posts, read 933,645 times
I have quite a few friends who are Phillipino and many friends who are Hawaiian or from the Pacific Rim. I live in the NW Glendale area. Honestly, I think you'll find a mix of everyone here. Yes, Phoenix area is predominantly white but there's plenty of diversity here in AZ. I find that AZ is a lot like the East Coast, I grew up in NJ. Except that where I grew up, there were more Italians than Hispanics, LOL! I actually studied Italian and speak the language well because of the Italian influences I was around while growing up in Jersey! I still miss my fabulous Italian teacher from high school! Anyway, just because there aren't a lot of Asians in one specific place, does not mean they aren't here and I find our area very accepting of everyone. On my street alone, we have a Nigerian family, a Hindu family, a few Hispanic families, some married with no kids, 2 houses with singles, and even 2 retired couples. And, we also have a couple where the husband is from New Zealand and his wife is Phillipino. Lots of diversity here, you just have to look around.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:49 PM

54 posts, read 112,507 times
Observer 53 - I have forwarded your link to our friend - Thank You

Mom to Grif - Amazing, I have followed many of your comments as we are looking around the Arrowhead area and it seems you just keep "Popping Up", so it was so cool to see you respond here! My husband and I are in our sixties and our business partner/friend is 50 with a younger wife, 5 yr old and a new baby due soon. (Talk stress - the move, new business and a new baby!) My husband is very devoted to his friend/partner and wants all good things for him and his family, so we hope all these issues are not, in fact, issues. Who knows we may end up being neighbors. We would like to live near one another when we get there - a bit of moral support for all of us. Thanks for your encouragement. PM me if you have any shares....

Old 06-16-2011, 09:20 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Just to echo the comments you have already received, your husband's friend will have no problem. I have Filipino friends. They just live in whatever neighborhoods. Not around other Filipinos. Same with an Asian friend of mine. None have mentioned anything about not fitting in or anything like that.

One thing about Phoenix, is that it's not overwhelmingly outgoing, it's more... "private". I think it's probably a combination of originating as a small, wide open, western city, and then exploding with transplants from every corner of the country. Although this may be considered negative by some, the upshot is that people aren't nosy either. Hopefully your husband's partner won't misconstrue this as people avoiding him because he's Filipino. People just don't take notice of new faces that easily. With a school aged child they will have no problem meeting people, and once they do, people here are just as friendly as anywhere else, if not more. Studies have shown that conscientious people are abundant in the Southwest, and I tend to believe that, based on my own experience living in other (less conscientious) cities.

Anyway, welcome.

Last edited by 43north87west; 06-16-2011 at 09:41 PM..

Old 06-16-2011, 09:29 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,293,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormad View Post
My husband, myself and our business partner (Phillipino) and his family will be relocating in the very near future to the Phoenix area NW. They returned last evening from a couple day visit and our partner noted he saw no others like himself. (He presently lives in Fremont Ca which is predominantly Asian) He has a 4 yr old who is very bright and we will all be looking to live in a community where there is hopefully acceptance of everyone.

I guess I'm just not too savvy in my searches as I have not been able to find anything when I search for anything Philippino?....

Can anyone direct me or share any information on this topic.
Chandler has the highest percentage of Asians of any city in the Phoenix metropolitan area. It's nearly 10% now and it will continue to grow. I wouldn't be surprised if that number reaches between 15%-20% within the next 10 years. There are several Chinese Christian churches, Buddhist monasteries, a Hindu temple. Most of the Asians in Chandler are East Indian, Chinese and Vietnamese. And Chandler has 240 K people so 20,000 Asians is a fairly large number.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:14 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,378 times
I don't see too many Asians in the western side of the valley, they are concentrated mostly to Tempe, Chandler, Ahwatukee, Scottsdale, and the central parts of Phoenix.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:28 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,323 times
Half the population of the World lives in Asia---many of them constantly at war with one another--how can you possibly paint all Asians with the same brush? My experience says a lot of the other Asians don't like the Filipinos. The highest concentration of Catholics would be in Maryvale....

Old 06-17-2011, 12:53 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Half the population of the World lives in Asia---many of them constantly at war with one another--how can you possibly paint all Asians with the same brush? My experience says a lot of the other Asians don't like the Filipinos. The highest concentration of Catholics would be in Maryvale....
There are many Asian races but the o.p. wanted to know mostly about Phillipinos.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:29 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times
There was a large Phillipino grocery Store at 35th Ave and Olive, don't know if it is still there, good place to start. Their customers have to come from somewhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area