Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 07:52 PM

54 posts, read 112,586 times

Advertisements

Can anyone do a sort of comp type thing for me?

Glendale is......San Carlos or East Palo Alto?

Peoria is ....Foster City/ Redwood City?

Arrowhead Area is....Burlingame/Hillsborough?

I would think Scottsdale is ....Palo Alto?

The maps and computers just don't tell me this stuff. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 09:15 PM

89 posts, read 186,024 times
phoenix is absolutely nothing like the bay area. Its alot more like sacramento but bigger. A couple interstates and a loop. The streets are pretty much all grid and very wide like parkways.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:24 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,443,128 times
The maps and computers don't tell you that in part because there really aren't any apt comparisons between the cities in the two areas. I think you need to come see for yourself.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:39 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,786,427 times
I'm a bay area transplant, and agree with the other posters. There is no comparison of those cities.

Scottsdale is the prestigious address. There is a lot of wealth in that area, and a lot of middle and low middle income residents also.

Paradise Valley is the most expensive city. Around $1 mil plus for a 1 acre flat lot. The same lot in the bay area would cost you about 3mil (for comparison purposes)

Tempe is noted for being a college town, but cannot be compared with Berkeley.

Most of the other suburban cities are similar to the bay area, only in that they are primarily bedroom communities.

Chandler has some silicon valley type industry such as Intel, Godaddy, Paypal, etc.

Gilbert is primarily a bedroom community, but I can't compare it with any bay area city.

While San Francisco has northbay, southbay, and eastbay suburbs, Phoenix primarily has west valley and east valley suburbs.

The west valley is less developed and a little further away from most of the night life activities in Phoenix and Scottsdale.

The east valley is more built up, and is closer to most Phoenix and Scottsdale destinations.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:22 AM

Thanks all - My husband grew up on Scottsdale / Phoenix border a VERY long time ago. His new job will be in Glendale on No. 35th Dr. I'm feeling pretty confident that the Arrowhead Ranch area is the way for us to go. In fact, he is there as I type....Is that area like anything on the Peninsula?

Old 06-14-2011, 10:17 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,443,128 times
No, it's not. It's a lovely area, but it is nothing like anywhere on the Peninsula. Embrace the fact that you are looking at an exciting change, and don't try to directly compare a subdivision in the Sonoran desert to anywhere in the Bay area.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:28 PM

That's very good advice....Thank You

Let the adventure begin.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area