Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 07:03 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,938,904 times

Advertisements

We have a sliding door that faces directly west and as you can imagine, it's hell after about 4pm (there is a patio cover that shades until then). We cannot even use the room...and it's the main room with the TV in it...until the sun sets. We have a nice Luminette (similar to vertical blinds) that filters the light but it's still very very bright.

Looking at some Roller Shutters..seen them in Germany and thought they were great. They are pricey...got a quote for $1700 today for the door (95" x 88") with a motorized motor from Roll Shutter Systems.

Anyone have another company they can recommend? Other thoughts on the product?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 08:00 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,680,057 times
We have french doors with internal blinds that work excellent to block the sun from jeld-wen (home depot)
JELD-WEN 72 in. x 80 in. White Left-Hand Inswing French Patio Door with Tilt-and-Raise Blinds - H37797 at The Home Depot
Another benefit is that both doors open in cooler weather so you can get excellent ventilation.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:22 PM

I've thought about those and would LOVE to be able to open up both doors and have an inside/outside type setup with the living room but the opening is too wide. Needs to be 95" wide and all the double doors I've seen are 72" wide.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:48 PM

310 posts, read 1,160,128 times
What about just regular shade screens, we have ones with 90% blockage on our sliding glass doors and they work great

Old 05-04-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightgirl151 View Post
What about just regular shade screens, we have ones with 90% blockage on our sliding glass doors and they work great
We nave screens on the east, south, and west sides and they are ok but I find they still need a thick window covering. The thing is, the sliding door is on the same wall with our TV so you are facing the glass door when looking at the TV and it's very distracting/annoying. Basically need something that let's zero light thru when we want and full light when we don't.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:58 AM

97 posts, read 290,513 times
I have had Roll-a-shields for twenty years. I have saved a lot of money on utilities and have never been burglarized. They have paid for themselves. The Germans aren't stupid. They started out in Phoenix as American German Industries, and originated in Florida where there are a lot of second homes and hurricanes.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:28 PM

I ended up going with RollShutter Systems. I had all three Phoenix area companies come out and do estimates...Roll-A-Shield was the cheapest but I didn't like their presentation, they bad talked one of their competitors on something that wasn't true and I just didn't get a good vibe from them, and their lead time was 4-5 weeks out. RollShutter Systems was about $70 more...they had their act together,the actual owner came out and did the estimate, very timely and professional and their lead time is 2 weeks. Finally, American German Roller Shutters was about $100 more than RollShutter Systems and their lead time was also about 4-5 weeks. They did have a great suggestion about installing the roller shutter all the way up to the ceiling of the patio cover or else birds would gather there all day. I went back to RollShutter Systems and asked if they could do the same, for the previously quoted price, and they said no problem. Getting everything installed on May 23rd. It was $1740 all included for a 95"x95" motorized roller shutter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area