Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 09:26 AM

6 posts, read 18,526 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are first time home buyers and and the homes in south mountain best meet our price range ($50-$60K). I know it is best to buy south of Baseline and certain areas should be avoided.

We are looking at a home in a subdivision called Villas Montanas on Darrow St in zip code 85141. Is this a good area to consider or avoid? Are there better choices in south mountain that would also be in our price range?

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 10:16 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvingin View Post
Hello,

We are first time home buyers and and the homes in south mountain best meet our price range ($50-$60K). I know it is best to buy south of Baseline and certain areas should be avoided.

We are looking at a home in a subdivision called Villas Montanas on Darrow St in zip code 85141. Is this a good area to consider or avoid? Are there better choices in south mountain that would also be in our price range?

Thanks in advance!!!
85141 comes up as Picacho, AZ which is many miles away. I think you mean 85041. The street and that zip put it in the heart of one of the more crime-ridden and impoverished places in the metro area - sorry. Try Queen Creek. There is an outside chance you will find a fix-up foreclosure for that price. You are shopping at less than half an already depressed mean price. You can't expect much in the way of location for that.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:43 AM

6 posts, read 18,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
85141 comes up as Picacho, AZ which is many miles away. I think you mean 85041. The street and that zip put it in the heart of one of the more crime-ridden and impoverished places in the metro area - sorry. Try Queen Creek. There is an outside chance you will find a fix-up foreclosure for that price. You are shopping at less than half an already depressed mean price. You can't expect much in the way of location for that.
Oops

Yes I meant 85041.
I know our options are very limited but are there ANY specific subdivisions in the south mountain that are worth considering because of the locations of our job? How about Fraktur Rd in Park Meadows in the same zip or is 85041 all bad?

Old 02-21-2011, 11:04 AM

593 posts, read 1,411,227 times
I wouldn't say all of South Phoenix is bad, there are some nice areas, you just definitely should pay a visit to the hood first before you make a decision. Like most of Phoenix, one street could be bad news and the next street could be fine. And one person's "bad area" is another person's "I can tolerate it" because of the view or the neighbors are nice or the house is nice or whatever.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:09 AM

289 posts, read 750,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
I wouldn't say all of South Phoenix is bad, there are some nice areas, you just definitely should pay a visit to the hood first before you make a decision. Like most of Phoenix, one street could be bad news and the next street could be fine. And one person's "bad area" is another person's "I can tolerate it" because of the view or the neighbors are nice or the house is nice or whatever.

I agree.

Darrow looks pretty safe. But, you may be very close to and/or looking at the main transmission powerlines. Those alone would put me off of any prospective home purchase.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:30 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Oops

Yes I meant 85041.
I know our options are very limited but are there ANY specific subdivisions in the south mountain that are worth considering because of the locations of our job? How about Fraktur Rd in Park Meadows in the same zip or is 85041 all bad?
Things are better west of 51st Avenue to about 83rd Ave north of Broadway. Lots of newer homes in there that were built in the boom and are now selling much cheaper in foreclosure. There are similar pockets in the general area, but I know of that one because I drove to work through those neighborhoods for years.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:38 AM

What about the subdivision that pushed out Manzanita Speedway? I visited somebody that lived there a few years ago (on a race night too!) and they seemed big and new and safe. But of course that was a few years ago...

Old 02-21-2011, 12:00 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
What about the subdivision that pushed out Manzanita Speedway? I visited somebody that lived there a few years ago (on a race night too!) and they seemed big and new and safe. But of course that was a few years ago...
No subdivision on the old raceway site. It is some sort of construction company that took over and there is a bunch of equipment stored on the land.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:59 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,056,189 times
Quote:
Oops

Yes I meant 85041.

Here is one of the sites you can use to check out crime statistics.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
No subdivision on the old raceway site. It is some sort of construction company that took over and there is a bunch of equipment stored on the land.

Then I guess it was right next to it. From the Google overhead map I guess it is the neighborhood to the west of what used to be Manzanita? I just remember the house was really nice, new, and HUGE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: