Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 6,112 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Are there any places in the city that might be considered "redneck or country areas"? I'm asking because I'm currently from Alabama and I have recieved a construction job offer in the Phoenix area and I'm nervous that if I go there I won't fit in and will be an outcast. I'd like to live in the city or in one of the near suburbs so anything too far out won't be good for me.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 07:07 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
Sunnyslope is a neighborhood that has traditionally had a "redneck" reputation, but it's changing. In recent years, a lot of new residents from the State of Oaxaca in Mexico have moved in. Parts of South Phoenix along Baseline Road have traditionally had a rural feel, but that's changing too with a lot of new, more upscale development going in.

I think to really get a country feel, you'd have to move to an outer suburb like Apache Junction, but even those areas are changing and growing rapidly. I wouldn't worry too much. There are so many people here from all over that you would have to try pretty hard not to fit in. Of course, a few regulars on this board would say that 99% of Phoenicians are rednecks. I don't agree, but I will concede that Phoenix is not the type of city where someone from a rural background is likely to feel excluded. You'll just have to get used to heavy traffic and other realities of life in a large metro area.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:29 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Desert Hills, New River, Cave Creek and Apache Junction in the Phoenix Metropolitan area. All have a good population/reputation for of rednecks.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:56 PM

343 posts, read 552,026 times
It's a big city. Don't worry about it! Someone is always dumber than you in a big city, and maybe even more here, but you be the judge.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:55 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Im guessing that places like Maricopa, Casa Grande and Winslow are still a little bit country, despite the growth. That was one of the reasons I came to Casa Grande.
Sadly though, people that come out to these smaller towns for the same reasons are disappointed because of the growth and the ones that come out here from Calif bring their lifestyles with them.
What part of Alabama are you from? I have a friend that just moved to Florence recently.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:55 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
I don't work construction but I understand that your work location can change from time to time. Not many people mentioned this here, but there are pockets of areas in north Phoenix from Bell Road to Deer Valley Road that have a good country feel. As others have mentioned, Apache Junction on the east side of the valley is good. Gilbert, in the southeast valley, Laveen just southwest of Phoenix, Goodyear, Buckeye and Avondale are country towns in the west side of the valley.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:02 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1983 View Post
Are there any places in the city that might be considered "redneck or country areas"? I'm asking because I'm currently from Alabama and I have recieved a construction job offer in the Phoenix area and I'm nervous that if I go there I won't fit in and will be an outcast. I'd like to live in the city or in one of the near suburbs so anything too far out won't be good for me.
Wait, let me get this straight-- you want to stay out of the "redneck" parts of Phoenix or you're identifying yourself as a "redneck" and want to know where you will fit in? I sure hope it's the first one. Most people here are average, normal people, just like everywhere else, but you're going to find "redneck" types ALL over the valley, including Scottsdale. There's no running away from them!

Old 07-16-2007, 05:00 PM

606 posts, read 1,605,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nice Baby! View Post
It's a big city. Don't worry about it! Someone is always dumber than you in a big city, and maybe even more here, but you be the judge.
I agree with this guy - Nobody here cares if you are a redneck, or a cholo or a businessman or whatever. In Phoenix, a very small % of the residents are born in Arizona, we are mostly transplants from a wide variety of places. We have a somewhat diverse city (sort of) and no one will think of you like an outcast...I wouldn't want to live in a desolate nothing type town (like Casa Grande or Apache Junction) just because you dont think your going to fit in!!

Old 07-16-2007, 06:33 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1983 View Post
Hello,

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jim
Redneck= Apache Junction.......wow you received a construction offer in Phoenix? Commercial?

Old 07-17-2007, 03:34 AM

19 posts, read 74,590 times
Default Redneck=Myrtle Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Redneck= Apache Junction.......wow you received a construction offer in Phoenix? Commercial?
I live in AJ and love it out here, so sick and tired of the AJ bashing on this forum. There is more to life than living in a crowded subdivision. Yes I have all my teeth and am college educated and I don't live in a trailer. Custom home on acreage, beautiful views. And BTW I own a home with no mortgage, just north of Myrtle Beach, in Brunswick Co NC. Ocean front. Myrtle Beach? That is redneck central. Good Luck with that. You might as well be living in AJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area