Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:47 AM

9 posts, read 35,896 times

Advertisements

Seeking help from the local experts. I would like to take my dog hiking and swimming - what parks, lakes, rivers, creeks are dogs allowed to swim? Or are there watering holes that are unregulated anywhere?

I assume the best places are north of the city but am unsure. Not interested in Cosmo Dog Park or other Dog parks, looking for a place where I can take him hiking then for a quick dip.

Any suggestions would help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 08:25 AM

damn no answers... google maps and driving it is..

Old 10-16-2010, 08:57 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
The local lakes in parks, etc., are not good places for dogs to swim. There've been some big vet bills from parasites in the warm water. In the winter, it may get a little safer, but I still wouldn't chance it. Perhaps up north, where the hiking would be better and the water perhaps a bit safer.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:09 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,249,236 times
any specifics on this.. what new thing do I have to be paranoid of now?

Old 10-16-2010, 09:15 AM

I'm not saying be paranoid, but there are a lot of lakes in the park area near my house, and particularly in the warmer weather, there have been some cases of botulism poisoning in dogs, for one. Common sense (and even our own noses) can tell us that some of these park "lakes" don't have the cleanest water, and we aren't even smelling what may be most hazardous. Why take a chance? Safer to use a swimming pool than these puddles.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:19 AM

I'm not saying be paranoid, but from my neighbors' experience with the many lakes in the park area near my house, there have been some cases of botulism in dogs, for one. These park "lakes" don't have the cleanest water; our own noses tell us that, and we aren't smelling the most hazardous bacteria. It's just common sense.. why take a chance? Better to use a swimming pool for doggie dips in the warmer times, especially, or go north where the water is colder and less hospitable to bacteria.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:24 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,194,543 times
We take our dog swimming in this cove here:

apache lake - Google Maps

You park right on the sand, it is a beautiful and easy drive, far enough to feel like you got of out of town but close enough for only a half day commitment, a nice gently sloping beach with great scenery and good temperature water.

The only negative = occasionally mullet-wearing types with small-dick-compensation dogs running loose, which is fine but they tend to play very bad loud music from their douchey pickups.

Also = you don't want to be down there if a storm comes.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:15 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,815 times
Lakes Pleasant, Bartlett, Horseshoe, Saguaro, Apache, Canyon, Roosevelt. The lower Salt River where it flows above Mesa. The Verde River east of North PHX. Seven Springs.

It's one hour to Payson, and then a half hour east or west to creeks and lakes also.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
We take our dog swimming in this cove here:

apache lake - Google Maps

You park right on the sand, it is a beautiful and easy drive, far enough to feel like you got of out of town but close enough for only a half day commitment, a nice gently sloping beach with great scenery and good temperature water.

The only negative = occasionally mullet-wearing types with small-dick-compensation dogs running loose, which is fine but they tend to play very bad loud music from their douchey pickups.

Also = you don't want to be down there if a storm comes.

Slack Jaw - that is phenomenal. I will take a ride there.

Cacto - Thanks I was also told that heading to Saguaro Lake has good spots to hike and swim as well as the Salt River. Any thoughts? Anywhere specific you recommend?

Thanks everyone

Old 11-02-2010, 02:18 PM

418 posts, read 1,311,850 times
There are great places up around Flagstaff, if you want to cool off yourself and your dog for a day or two in the summer. My white lab, Gracie, just loves for us to put the top down on the car and go for a drive to the lake or river. She will play fetch until my arm hurts to much to throw the ball any longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area