Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:49 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,870,002 times

Advertisements

A Phoenix Police Officer murdered an unarmed subject. The officer would have gotten away with it, except his partner turned him in. His partner told IA that he shot the guy for no reason, except just to shoot him. If it wasn't for his partner, it would have been covered up. What a shame. Nine year veteran. I bet this type of stuff happens A LOT and it gets covered up.

The officer also shot and killed the guys dog. His partner said the dog posed NO THREAT, it was just barking, but the officer shot and killed it because he felt like it.

Phoenix PD is notorious for its treatment of people, especially those who are Hispanic.

Phoenix police officer in fatal shooting arrested
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Don't you live in Prescott? Who made you an expert on everyone in the PHOENIX Police Department?

Execute? No-- that has a specific meaning that doesn't apply here Murder? They arrested him on suspicion of aggravated assault. Let's let the courts determine what he's guilty of before you convict him on C-D.

Assuming what was reported is true, this guy had no business being a policeman, and will get his chance to try out protective custody in prison if convicted. But I am not going to paint the entire department with your brush.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:19 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Extremely judgmental, DellNec.

There's always two sides to every story and I would prefer to give the benefit of doubt to an individual who devotes his life to Protect and Serve.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:00 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,870,002 times
Hmmmm.... You have a dead 20 year old, a dead dog, both shot and killed by an officer. Of which the officers partner who was there at the scene, gave a sworn statement that his partner killed the man, unjustly, and in cold blood.

The officer drew his weapon, put it to the temple/head of the victim, then told him, "I don't need a warrant, mother f*cker."

If that was your son or family member killed, you would not act so callous.

Last edited by DellNec; 10-07-2010 at 02:30 AM..

Old 10-07-2010, 02:20 AM

537 posts, read 1,545,618 times
Phoenix police officers are looking younger to me everyday. Am I out of line to be shocked seeing a young cop with gang style tattoos? I had my own run in with a Phoenix officer downtown during that rolling thunder mess this year. He was yelling at me and threatened to arrest me. I found a parking spot and went to him on foot to ask his name. He wouldn't give it to me. Then I told him I wanted his badge number and he did give me that. I went home and reported him and got a call back from his Lt. I don't want to be near any of these overloaded testosterone cases if at all possible. I know it's a tough job and somebody has got to do it, but..........

Old 10-07-2010, 05:56 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
No one's being callous, no one should have died in this incident as described, and that part is a tragedy. But you have taken it far further than that with incendiary language and wild accusations about the whole Department.

Some people do get through the academy (and this is on a national basis, NOT just Phoenix) who really don't have the temperament to be police officers; desertspiritsteve's experience is an example of that. They think of the job as a license to bully people and get away with it - "overloaded testosterone" is a good way to describe them, generally. And, they either are pretty young or seem that way as we all get older. But those people are a definite minority.

The person involved in this incident is not one of those youngsters -- what else is in his background as an officer is yet to be seen as the investigation moves forward. His fellow officer clearly did the right thing in coming forward.

All that said, the broad accusations in the original post about the department as a whole are, in my opinion, out of line, and were the real reason for starting this thread in the first place.

Last edited by observer53; 10-07-2010 at 06:04 AM..

Old 10-07-2010, 08:04 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
From the initial post it sounded like this cop just decided to execute someone who wasn't doing anything, but from the article sounds like they had quite a fight with failed attempts to subdue him with taser and pepper spray, still struggling near the bike when the man was shot.

However (and again just from article) it sounds like deadly force wasn't warranted since he wasn't armed and was trying to flee. If the investigation proves this he certainly should be charged and sent to prison.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:39 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
Hmmmm.... You have a dead 20 year old, a dead dog, both shot and killed by an officer. Of which the officers partner who was there at the scene, gave a sworn statement that his partner killed the man, unjustly, and in cold blood.

The officer drew his weapon, put it to the temple/head of the victim, then told him, "I don't need a warrant, mother f*cker."...
You are implying more than was stated in the article, and added a quote that wasn't in it - where you there?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:40 AM

674 posts, read 2,553,287 times
I'm very happy with our police department and think they do an excellent job. Every department has its bad apples just like there are bad teachers, bad doctors, bad priests, etc. No need to let the actions of one police officer ruin the image of the whole department.

I've been pulled over by Phoenix police once (and Glendale police another time) and I didn't feel that it was because of my race (I'm Hispanic) or that because they had an agenda against me for some reason.

LOL at Phoenix PD is notorious for its treatment of people, especially those who are Hispanic. I've never heard of such a thing from either Hispanics I know or on the web.

Keep up the good work, Phoenix PD.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:14 AM

72 posts, read 176,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
You are implying more than was stated in the article, and added a quote that wasn't in it - where you there?
The quote was taken from ABC15.com I believe, and is from the officer's sworn statement. He didn't add anything that wasn't already there. I'm not sure why so many of you think the police are lying and are just singling this guy out. If anything, I give the benefit of the doubt to the courageous officer who came forth with this information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area