Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 12:01 AM

72 posts, read 234,471 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what kids do when the schools start in August and it is hot outside. Do schools have all indoor activities for kids or are they asked to play outside any ways? Here in LA, by law if it hits 100 degrees, all kids play or stay indoors.......just wondering how you guys work it out.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:14 AM

2 posts, read 7,404 times
It is very hot until about mid October. At the school my children attend they have some days when they play outside when I feel it's too hot. I really think it depends on the school and their administration, I'm not sure about any laws?

Old 06-27-2007, 08:13 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,076 times
They only keep them in the gym on heat advisory days at our school. Over 110 I believe, maybe its 115, I can't remember. I wish they would keep them in on high pollution days, they warn you on the news "no outdoor activity" then the schools have them go outside for P.E>go figure? Tell your school they can't play in the heat. They might let them go to the library until it cools down in Nov.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:20 AM

477 posts, read 1,583,058 times
In my school district school starts Aug. 13th. I know some other areas start a week before and a week after. It just all depends. Yes, there are days that they still go outside when it is hot. However, our district has been building gyms for all of the schools and that is where they will also have P.E classes. I assume they will mostly have them indoors when it is real hot.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:53 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Ours starts on Aug 2. The kids go out the playground for recess. Lots of them are natives. No one ever told them it is too hot to play outside.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:26 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,076 times
Where do you live that most of the kids are natives? I am a native and it's still hot running around outside in Aug. Unless your made of leather, are you?

Old 08-04-2007, 10:48 AM

4 posts, read 13,814 times
Question School and the summer heat

My kids started school Aug 2nd and I expressed my concerns since I have a 1st grader with severe asthma and a 4th grader whom has had problems in the past with heat while at school. I was told that the younger grades go out earlier which for 1st grade is about 10:45 still too hot at that time and has been very humid even at 8:30 the parents are outside with the kids dropping them off we miserable and complaining about the heat.. The school just makes them go to recess no matter if its over 100 or not. I have not been able to find any laws as some members have in their state. I picked up my daughter Fri Aug 3rd and arrived approx 10mins early I saw 4 classes in the back field and the kids all over the place in the heat was unaware that my 4th grader was among them another parent saw her walking with a look that something was wrong when she approached her she was confused not sure of what she was doing and just about to pass out. She had stopped sweating and her skin was very red and clammy. Thank god I am first aid certified and knew what to do quickly. Upon talking to my daughter she was just outside in the shade walking around she did not run around with the other kids because I had told her if she has to go out with the class to stay in the shade and drink water. The teachers were all just talking with each other and not paying any attention to what the kids were doing. I am pushing to get something done to have the kids stay indoors until it cools off I don't want anyother kid to get sick or worse. When it rains they have rainy day schedule which is indoors and should be the same for our wheather until it is cooler approx mid Oct. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it I have several parents ready to complain to the school but still wondering what esle to do.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:09 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Where do you live that most of the kids are natives? I am a native and it's still hot running around outside in Aug. Unless your made of leather, are you?
I would say most of the kids in my daughters school are natives or near-natives particularly in the lower grades. It's been pretty much the same kids since first grade. Native or not, if they don't have other health problems running around outside is not going to hurt them. There are millions of people all over the world who live in similar or worse climates without a/c. Getting red-faced and sweating is not a fatal condition.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:11 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,450,420 times
In my experience, they're required to go outside. When I went to elementary school here, we had something like twenty minutes to eat lunch in the cafeteria, and then we were all required to go outside. It was hot, but we really didn't think much about it when we were younger.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:59 PM

124 posts, read 413,378 times
c2kittykats I agree with you my kids are on all year round school so they go back to school July 23rd to me that is insane I dont let them out unless there in the shade and have plenty of water and not until it is 5 or 6 pm and the sun is going down. It is terrible that this state does not have more indoor activities expecially at the schools I mean its warm until mid Oct. Ponderosa your kids must be made of leather. Im a native and there is no way I can handle being out there, and the heat can be fatal you hear of kids being left in cars and dying all the time or people dying of heat stroke this year has been pretty mild, but yes it can be fatal if your not careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: