Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:59 AM

73 posts, read 267,425 times

Advertisements

Maybe in Tempe? Does it stop by near supermarkets and shopping, or just into residential, downtown and airport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 11:51 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,763,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveytheRabbit View Post
Maybe in Tempe? Does it stop by near supermarkets and shopping, or just into residential, downtown and airport?
There is an AJ's Central and Camelback and an Albertson Dobson & Main. There are livable areas near the light rail. I like the Apartment on Washington near Mill there is a Light Rail stop right outside. Some of the areas around downtown Tempe, and near Apache more a college area. There are High Rise apts on Central. So you do have some options.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:51 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,658 times
There is an older mall with a Target (the kind with groceries) and a Costco at the northwest end of the line. There is also a Fry's Food Store at 7th Ave. and Camelback.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:56 PM

Are there many good apartment buildings at or around downtown or the airport. I looked into that LocoAZnative mentioned on N Mill and Washington, but many of the reviews said it was really a party spot as it was so close to the college. But I liked that it was right near the LR and Popago Park.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:14 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,632 times
I always look at that same apartments (Washington) thinking the same thing, that would be damned convenient with the light rail stop outside your front door.

Another option is the other direction, there are some okay places near 101 & Apache.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Are there many good apartment buildings at or around downtown or the airport. I looked into that LocoAZnative mentioned on N Mill and Washington, but many of the reviews said it was really a party spot as it was so close to the college. But I liked that it was right near the LR and Popago Park.
You will run into this on a lot of the stops in Tempe near the light rail. Its an easy communte for the college kids. Those apartments though are really nice and its so close to Papagp Park and like slackjaw said the stop is right outside your door. Yes there are some ok places on Apache/McClintock-Price but that is the more rundown part of Tempe I feel. But not totally unsafe where you have to worry about getting killed at night. If you can deal with a bus connection to the light rail that will open things up for you a lot more.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:00 PM

Can any of the downtown high-rise apartments be recommended? We aren't night lifers and would probably spend most of our free time at the symphony, museums or ball games anyhow.
Are they expensive in comparison to a 3 bedroom, 2 car garage house in the suburbs?

Old 08-14-2010, 07:36 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,679,746 times
Downtown? Definitely!

If you like spending time at the symphony, museums, or sporting events (Chase field or US Airways Center), downtown would be the place. Within the area between the sports facilities on the south, 7th Avenue on the west, 7th street on the east, and I-10 on the north, there are numerous apartments and condos, a number of which are loft style. This area is generally within a short walk to the light rail. There are numerous, nice rentals and condos.

I live downtown and I love it. Besides the light rail, which I use quite often, there are all of the downtown amenities. There isn't a big supermercado downtown, but there is the Phoenix Public Market, which also has a huge farmer's market on Saturday, and Wednesday night. There are a number of grocery stores within a very short drive, and there is a mall with a Walmart and a Target, which is accessible via light rail at 7th Ave and Montebello (the end of the light rail line). There are also a lot of non-chain restaurants and coffeehouses that are accessible on foot from downtown, or by light rail.

Simply by moving downtown, I've been awakened to some of the things that Phoenix has to offer.

Also, you should be able to find very good prices for rentals downtown. Obviously, don't expect suburban home floor space, because it's just not a reasonable expectation.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:09 PM

I've looked a lot through google searches and streetview and I think that apartment complex near Papago Park looks really nice (lofts at rio salado). Is it party central though? Does anyone know if it is nothing but college kids, do working families live there?

Also Ive checked out online some of the apartment complex downtown. Do any have direct access to the light rail, any that are safe and quiet? Any that can be specifically recommended?

I love the idea of being downtown, close to the live theatre and Baseball games and then being able to hit the light rail and be in a mall or shopping center. Also being close to Mill lane in Tempe and Fashion square in Scottsdale would be nice.

Last edited by HarveytheRabbit; 08-25-2010 at 03:27 PM..

Old 08-25-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I've looked a lot through google searches and streetview and I think that apartment complex near Papago Park looks really nice (lofts at rio salado). Is it party central though? Does anyone know if it is nothing but college kids, do working families live there?

Also Ive checked out online some of the apartment complex downtown. Do any have direct access to the light rail, any that are safe and quiet? Any that can be specifically recommended?

I love the idea of being downtown, close to the live theatre and Baseball games and then being able to hit the light rail and be in a mall or shopping center. Also being close to Mill lane in Tempe and Fashion square in Scottsdale would be nice.
Its Mill Ave and the Light Rail wont take you near Scottsdale Fashion Square. Those apartments are nice can't tell you if they are part one's though. Good Luck with yourseach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area