Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 9,950 times

Advertisements

Last night Gilbert PD pulled me over for my license plate light being out. I was 1 street from my house on my neighborhood streets, in my pajamas because I just ran out to pick up my son. Literally a 5 minute trip.

They ran my license and found it had been suspended for failure to appear on a photo radar ticket in Mesa. I was never notified that my license had been suspended.

I ignored first mailing of ticket, but server came and left papers with my son. I didn't think this was proper service so I never followed up on it.

The Gilbert officer impounded my car and had me standing on the street for 45 minutes in my pajamas with my son while I waited! It took 3 police cars with flashing lights to do this. Talk about embarrassment and overkill.

They said I can file for early release hearing for my vehicle. That can take up to 2 days to even HEAR BACK from anyone because it's just a voice mail you reach to request hearing.

Admin fee is mandatory $150 just to get car out of impound plus towing charges and daily storage charges of $15. Looked up ticket on Mesa website & it's $270 now. There was a payment of $68...which must have been the money held from my AZ state taxes this year. (Thought it was on court fees I hadn't paid for divorce)

I am a single mom of 4, had been unemployed for 6 months, just got back to work one month ago, and only get paid once/mo (next check not for another 3 weeks), I also have been in court trying to collect $58k in child support that is owed to no avail...so I have NO money to pay any of this.

Is there ANY defense or any way to get out of all these fines? I'm sure there are more that I don't even know of yet that the court will tack on. Any help?? Please tell me there's some hope out there!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:34 AM

39,125 posts, read 51,383,237 times
You could argue improper service if your son is VERY young. They only have to give it to a "responsible" person not the violator. Teens would be considered responsible. You can work out payment arrangements with the court. You are going to have to pay all the towing related expenses no matter what, though.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:45 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,254,088 times
So much for all the advice around here to ignore these photo radar tickets. I don't agree with them but would much rather pay the ticket (since I was breaking the law and speeding) then go through everything this person is going through.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:15 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,510,612 times
Once you, or a person of "suitable age and discretion" (which may be younger than a teenager) at your house has been personally served, you can't ignore them. An expensive lesson to learn.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:28 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,933,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
So much for all the advice around here to ignore these photo radar tickets. I don't agree with them but would much rather pay the ticket (since I was breaking the law and speeding) then go through everything this person is going through.
I got called all kinds of 'dumb' for paying mine last year but I'm sure glad I did. I would hate to have to pay a lot more than I DID since I really couldn't afford it at the time. But figured that was better than having to keep looking over my shoulder and worrying about it. I have enough gray hair already!

Old 06-21-2010, 01:35 PM

824 posts, read 2,340,220 times
The only lesson to be learned here is to actually avoid service from the scamera folks. And be sure to remember any legislator, councilman, or other office holder who supports photo radar on Election Day.

Maybe you can find some help with the back child support.

http://www.azag.gov/children_family/cse.html

Old 06-21-2010, 01:40 PM

380 posts, read 1,064,447 times
You probably make more not working than you would make working.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:14 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,939,664 times
Looks like doing the right thing is always the best answer. If you don’t think you deserve a ticket, tell your story to the judge and you could be on your way without any problems. Ignoring notices is not an answer when the authorities want to talk with you about an issue.

I would think that there are going to be MORE of these types of issues with photo radar and failures. The state is looking for more revenue to balance their budget and going after those who failed to appear in court or pay the fine is a good way to catch up on some needed money.

If you are owed back child support and know where the father is located, talk with Sheriff Joe’s office; they just did a big “dead beat dad” bust over the weekend. They might like to know more information on this dad.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:18 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,939,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemaster View Post
Interesting, How much money do you think a person might get if the unemployment runs out and there is no other income? Just what benefits are there that pays the rent and puts food on the table?

Old 06-21-2010, 02:26 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,933,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemaster View Post
Are you suggesting she and her kids go on welfare? Maybe she has a better sense of priority and morals than that. Maybe she doesn't want to be a 'taker'. It's always better to be independent and do your best than to milk the system. Tough? Yep but worth it in the end.

There are way too many dead beat dads out there and they are the ones who are being 'derelict in their duty'. Moms do the best they can with what they can. I know this from experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area