Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 11:09 PM

67 posts, read 63,941 times

Advertisements

Inparticular when it comes to Politics and Politicians. While I agree there are many cases where it's only done for pure selfishness, do you think there are times where making deals with the devil is the right course of action? One that comes to mind for me is the U.S becoming allies with Joseph Stalin and the Soviet Union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 11:13 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,343,669 times
If one does not believe in the devil then there is no one to make a deal with.
If one does believe in the devil the choice is yours alone.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:19 AM

67 posts, read 63,941 times
Figure of speech....

Old 08-19-2016, 06:23 AM

28,972 posts, read 30,346,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanastra View Post
Inparticular when it comes to Politics and Politicians. While I agree there are many cases where it's only done for pure selfishness, do you think there are times where making deals with the devil is the right course of action? One that comes to mind for me is the U.S becoming allies with Joseph Stalin and the Soviet Union.
I believe in the old days it was, but strongly believe in this day and age, it is for pure selfishness and the reason I say this, is, b/c of the inhuman things I've seen companies do to their employees. they just don't care. Years ago, it was all about their employees, b/c they felt, good employees were their ticket to success.

No more...they don't give a **** about people, and don't regard them as human beings, it's all about "THE MONEY", and to hell with everything else.

So, yes, indeed, it is no longer the world it used to be...and I'm saying this as someone who remembers what it used to be like.

young people always seem to roll their eyes....in disgust and disbelief, when older people tell them this...
and that is a shame, b/c older folks as myself, remember what it was like...
and young people would be wise to learn from that...instead of dismissing an older person's views like it means nothing.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:01 PM

19,107 posts, read 27,710,534 times
Yeah, ^^^^^, the world is not as it used to be. It used to be forced to counter all the social welfare programs established and implemented in the USSR, with its most prosperous time being under the "devil" rule. Yep. Go ask any Russian citizen that lived then.
Then they broke the country. Well, they broke the head first, then they broke the spine and set idiot and a drunkard at its helm to make it even worse.
Then suddenly, there was no need to counter someone else's humane policies and voila - "human" was forgotten and the real devil, the spirit of money, the golden calf worshiped at the Sinai desert, fully recovered its grasp over the people's minds.
Yes indeed, pact with the devil it was.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:03 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,599,712 times
Quote:
do you think there are times where making deals with the devil is the right course of action? One that comes to mind for me is the U.S becoming allies with Joseph Stalin and the Soviet Union.
Question indicates your beliefs...
My thoughts, one time deals don't exist, you're owned by the dark side, akin to affiliations with the mob and gangs; once you're in, theres no turning back.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:05 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,252,522 times
Tolerance of evil is unmerciful to their next victim.
Temporizing with predators is not warranted.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:50 PM

131 posts, read 222,691 times
To achieve a larger goal, such as win WW2, politicians must make deals with many devils. Isn't that being pragmatic?

Old 09-25-2016, 02:02 AM

19,453 posts, read 15,299,202 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live-life View Post
To achieve a larger goal, such as win WW2, politicians must make deals with many devils. Isn't that being pragmatic?
Speaking generally, as in all situations that come up in life, including politics, I think there are many, many times when people have to make a decision, and it includes figuring out who will be hurt the less, or what can be done for the greater good. It sucks, but sometimes it's very necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy