Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 12:27 AM

4 posts, read 8,109 times

Advertisements

How much is environment we live in affecting us? If you feel bad in one place and really good in another - does it mean you have problems with yourself and doesn`t matter where you will go you will find bad things anywhere and want to run away again and again? Is it a matter of personality differences and level of sensitivity? Does location could change how we feel?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 01:08 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,307,727 times
If you're living in a place that makes you miserable because of the climate, or bad experiences, then yes, I believe a change in location is the medicine. Because I've been in those situations.

I lived in another state (long ago) where I didn't fit in because of the culture, so I got wise and left there. I sincerely do not believe I would have learned to enjoy it; therefore, I was not happy.

Where I live now, I struggle because the summers are way too short and winters seem long. I suffer from SAD. But I'd rather stay here than live where it's really cold and snowy for months.

So, while I would feel physically best living back in sunny Calfiornia, it wouldn't guarantee that all would be rosy in other aspects (California has a lot of problems of its own).

Some people are more adaptable than others.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Your "luck" is going to be different in a place that you are unfamiliar with, because there will be more events that you cannot directly control.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:35 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Your habitat is part of your destiny. Indeed, habitat will influence you, it is very obvious.
You can change habitat by conscious change of your thinking, and making a decision to change your dwelling thus, change your habitat. Or, you can stay in your dwelling, but change HABITAT.
Either way, it starts with conscious decision on change.
There is no "luck". Whatever happens to you is part of your destiny, physical, psychic, mental, and noetic. Habitat is part of your physical destiny. As is your body, family, even wealth, or how your body will die. Your destiny can be adjusted, but it can be adjusted only by you and only by conscious thinking, resulting in action.
If your destiny is for you to go through a death from say falling, you will not drown. A "luck" will come and something or someone will save you, should you be drowning. That was only an example.
You'd be better off using term "Providence" instead of "luck".

Old 08-31-2013, 05:33 AM

Ukrkoz,

I agree with you. I used the term "luck" figuratively, just an expression....What I meant actually - is whether changing the habitat can help us to make the change of dwelling faster and more effective? We all have different destinies and missions, but somehow we are all connected. However, what is good for one person could be a hell for another. Maybe some people need to make the geographical journey and change location to change the dwelling and it`s not unambiguously that changing the habitat will cause us stay in our dwelling and vice versa?

Old 09-02-2013, 07:55 AM

4,511 posts, read 4,048,891 times
IMO environment is everything.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:03 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,438,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching Soul View Post
Does location could change how we feel?
Yes it could. For example. If you couldn't find a job in location A and you hated the climate and cost of living in location A and your friends and family didn't live in location A then you might feel bad. If you moved to location B where your family and friends were and you find a job there and the climate was wonderful, then you might feel much better in location B.

So, yes a change of location could change you feel.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:18 AM

36,427 posts, read 16,038,061 times
I don't know, but I have to remember that where ever I go I take me with me, so a new environment will not change my problems, but when and if I move back to CA, having friends and family support will have an effect on my well being, but not be a cure, that has to come from inside.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:36 PM

To plmokn,

My situation is exactly the opposite, besides the climate :-) I`ve a job, friends and family in location A - where I`m staying at this very moment. However, I really want to move to another country where I also have got some friends and I don`t have a problem to make new ones, the climate is much better for me there and if I will manage to find a job - it will be much better for my career than in the place I`m living in. I mean the reasons I want to move are not because I feel bad with myself in the place I live, but because I`m not satisfied with the environment - mentality, culture, climate, job opportunities, quality of life in general... does it sounds reasonable to leave because of those things? I also think about the future and prefer my kids which I gonna have one day - to grow up in a better place, with more opportunities, better education and social life. I guess I`m pretty sure what I want to do, and I feel it`s the right thing, just because it is a big change it`s a bit scary and some people try to convince me that it`s better to stay...

Old 09-02-2013, 06:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I don't know, but I have to remember that where ever I go I take me with me, so a new environment will not change my problems, but when and if I move back to CA, having friends and family support will have an effect on my well being, but not be a cure, that has to come from inside.
I disagree. A large part of "you" is the role you play within the expectations of your family and your peer group. A person who goes to a new location can reinvent himself, to be the person he wants to be, not the person that his social milieu expects him to be. Some people, amongst their peers, are afraid to even change their hair style.

Furthermore, a lot of people have toxic friends who are a bad influence, and maybe even some enemies who are working against them, and it might be very constructive to get away from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy