Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2007, 07:27 AM

8 posts, read 53,760 times

Advertisements

Hi, all.

My husband and I are in the process of moving from Central NJ to the Philadelphia area; I'll be working in Manayunk some days, and Center City other days (company has two offices I'll be shuttling between). He'll mostly be working from home, with occasional trips via Amtrak or the Philly airport. We've been scouting around Philly and some of the closer suburbs for a while, trying to get a sense of what's available.

Ideally, we're hoping to find an area where we could walk to dinner or a cafe after we got home from work; a walkable neighborhood with a core of shops and transit available. If you know NJ, we're moving from Metuchen; looking for a place that feels like Metuchen, Summit, Westfield, etc. (In Metuchen, we live a half-mile from the train station; we can walk to Thai, sushi, French, or Italian restaurants, and even a nearby live theatre on the weekends! Plus a good hardware store, used book store, non-chain cafes, etc.) Complicating matters is our desire for a place with a garage: we have an electric car that needs to be plugged in at night to recharge. On-street parking won't work for that; even a driveway will be tough.

As far as housing styles, we'd like to stay away from McMansions; older Victorian, Colonials, or row houses are much more our taste.

So far, we've looked at Chestnut Hill, Jenkintown, Manayunk, and Narberth. Chestnut Hill is the best match so far. Manayunk has a great vibe, but I think it will be hard to find a place with a garage; Narberth was cute, but it looked like everyone in town had gone to prep school; and when we tried to get something to eat in Jenkintown on a Sunday in the early afternoon, it felt like the town was closed for the day.

Suggestions for other neighborhoods or towns would be very welcome. I know I'm missing something, but I don't know what it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 09:15 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,594,550 times
Well, I was going to say Chestnut Hill or West Mt. Airy, but I see you have seen Chestnut Hill. Have you looked in West Mt. Airy. It's adjacent to Chestnut Hill and has what you are looking for.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:36 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,228,646 times
The 3 county seats of the suburban counties standout to me.Probably the 3 best communities in suburban Philly

Bucks County- Doylestown is a terrific town. Almost the perfect small town.

Chester County- West Chester was named one of "Americas dozen distinctive destinations." Almost a carbon copy of Doylestown.

Delaware County- Media Very nice leafy small town, not quite as big or vibrant as Doylestown or West Chester but very convenient location. Media is the closest of the 3 to Manayunk and Center City.

Malvern
Swarthmore
Paoli
Wayne
Ridley Park
West Conshohocken

Probably fit your criteria but are a step down from Doylestown-WC and Media imo.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:34 AM

8 posts, read 53,760 times
Thanks for the help! The county seats are a bit farther out of town than I'm hoping for; Chestnut Hill is sounding better and better.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:36 AM

78 posts, read 376,405 times
Chestnut Hill is a great area. You mentioned you were going to work in Manayunk and I have a number of friends who live there and love the area. East Falls has gotten a lot of press over the last couple of years for its redevelopment. I love it's location to the park but I don't know anyone who lives there yet.

All the best.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:09 AM

29 posts, read 141,095 times
Jeneralist--Go with Chestnut Hill. Everything that you described in your original post can be found and had in Chestnut Hill. My aunt lives in Chestnut Hill and has NO desire to live anywhere else. It's far enough, but close enough....go for it and good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia