Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 01:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

When I drove into Philadelphia, I was fortunate enough to see this place - saw it on photos beforehand. So felt fortunate to 'stumble' upon it.

Not knowing exactly where things change from City Center to South Philly...where would people classify Geno's as being located?

PART II - I really liked this part of Philadelphia a lot. Is it insanely expensive or modestly priced? It seemed to have a large mix of very differnet people - i.e. asian, latino, white, black. Very condensed as well.

What kind of prices (i.e. rent, etc.) would someone be looking at if they were to live anywhere within 30 minutes walk from this location - putting Genos in the center of this radius of desireable places to possibly live.

Additionally, most places look like rowhomes...which I love the look of, but never lived in one. How are they for living, etc.? I'd imagine it depends on neighbors, etc. How about privacy or safety issues...obviously nowhere is 100% safe, but any concerns people generally might have about living in a rowhome? Again, I love the look, but I also have a wife and kid, and wouldn't want to have any extra concerns, etc.

Seems like a great place to live though and raise a kid - i.e. convenient to many places, great experiences for a kid to be around so many things in such close proximity, etc. Plus loved the vibe of the city in general - seems easy to be free from car dependence as well in that area. How are the subways, etc. easy access from that location I'd guess?

Anything else?
Attached Thumbnails
Geno's (Philly Cheesesteaks) - Interested in it's vicinity and area...-usa-drive-869.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 03:19 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,589,431 times
Geno's is in Bella Vista. It's a good and relatively safe area. I have no idea what you can afford, so I can't say if the area would be reasonable for you. Check Craigslist to get an idea.

I recommend you also look in Queen Village which is to the east of Bella Vista and also Passyunk Square.

BTW - Geno's (and Pat's) steaks suck.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:36 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Some of those houses are 300 years old. The ones that have not been improved have circular stairs so tight that my cat broke his leg falling down them. Fixed up they can go $500K. It's a comparitively safe area

Old 03-18-2010, 07:18 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Some of those houses are 300 years old. The ones that have not been improved have circular stairs so tight that my cat broke his leg falling down them. Fixed up they can go $500K. It's a comparitively safe area
What do you get for 500K? - 2bdrm?

Also, how much, generally, to rent a rowhome...say a 2BDRM? Somewhere in that vicinity - within 30 minute walk?

Also, is there any direction within a 30 minute walk, that might not be good for wife/kid who'd be with me?

Seems like a great area though. Great hearing two posters saying it's safe enough for them. Certainly looked comfortable to me, but it was a weekday evening that I went through.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:12 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
i live in QV. the area is nice but pretty expensive. its little sketchy around christian and 5th, but overall fine. i quite enjoy it. the whole area is fairly diverse and has excellent restaurants & nitelife.

they are all close enough to center city to be considered center city

Center City District / Central Philadelphia Development Corporation Of Philadelphia

Last edited by john_starks; 03-19-2010 at 10:23 AM..

Old 03-19-2010, 08:14 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,407 times
Quote:
300 years old? Try 150 at the most.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:37 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
300 years old? Try 150 at the most.
No 300. Those houses were there long before the Declaration of Independence as you go up toward South St. I lived in a house on Fitzwater that is listed as built in 1918, I had the paperwork showing it was originally built in 1683. It had a spiral staircase that anyone over 5ft 4 in could hardly get up.

Last edited by Boompa; 03-19-2010 at 08:48 PM..

Old 03-20-2010, 12:09 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,822 times
That's a great neighborhood and one of the most casually integrated in the city. People who live there know it's diverse but no one really makes a big deal about it.

How old the houses are really depends on how long ago the last big fire on that block was. Most of the houses in that area are 150-100 years old although you may occasionally find a few that are older right along Passyunk Ave. They can range in size from a 650 sq. ft. one bedroom to a 3000 sq. ft. 6 bedroom. Some of the brownstones on Broad St. are up around 5000 sq. ft.

In terms of noise, it really depends on how much wall you share with your neighbor, how your rooms line up and how loud the people are. I only really hear my neighbors at the back of the house and usually just on the first floor. When I say "hear" I mean more like the vibration coming through the joists - not the actual sound. Like if they drop something really heavy or if they're playing loud music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Geno's is in Bella Vista. It's a good and relatively safe area.
Geno's is in the heart of Passyunk Square. Passyunk Square Civic Association » About boundaries are listed at the bottom of the page.

Bella Vista is just to the north between South St. and Washington Ave. between 6th and 11th Streets. Bella Vista United Civic Association - What Is Bella Vista (http://www.bvuca.org/WhatWeDo.html - broken link)

Queen Village is just to the east of Bella Vista Queen Village Neighbors Association

Old 05-07-2010, 09:04 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,407 times
Quote:
No 300. Those houses were there long before the Declaration of Independence as you go up toward South St. I lived in a house on Fitzwater that is listed as built in 1918, I had the paperwork showing it was originally built in 1683. It had a spiral staircase that anyone over 5ft 4 in could hardly get up.
In your dreams. The oldest building in Philly is the Old Swede's Church which is barely 300 years old itself. Independence Hall itself is only 250 years old.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:17 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
This is a decent section. I like it, but the abrasiveness tends to annoy me. Hopefully, you can latch on to quiet unassuming, soft spoken folks that don't say yo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia