Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 04:55 AM

3 posts, read 12,898 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are moving out of Philadelphia in March and are trying to find a close suburb as he will be retaining his job in Philly. Hate to leave, but we found out that my at-home freelancing is taxed very heavily by the city and I can't afford to work in the city any longer! As long as we are over the Philly city limits, the major tax woes go away.

We are mainly looking at Conshohocken, are there bad areas of town to steer clear from? (we're open to other 'burbs too, as long as they meet our needs)

When are you moving?
This March, 2010

Where are you coming from?
South Street/Center City

Why are you moving?
Job

Where will you be working?
I work from home, my husband is downtown Philly (he will need Septa access to downtown Market East station so I can have access to the car most of the time)

Will you buy or rent?
Rent

If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
Not buying, prefer rent no more than 1700/month

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Married, no kids yet

Do you prefer public or private schools?
no preference (no kids)

Do you have pets?
1 small cat

Do you want or need a yard?
Not necessary, but would take it!

Are you keeping a car?
yes, will need parking, already have parking included w/ job in city

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
calm and quiet with nearby activity

What do you want to be closest to?
IN ORDER:
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Gym (prefer walkable)
Train or subway stations (anything that goes to Market East, prefer walkable)
Shopping
Nightlife

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?

Diverse neighborhood is fine, as long as it's a "safe" neighborhood to live in/around.

Thanks for your insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 10:54 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
I'm not aware of any bad parts of Conshy but I'll also add that I don't spend a lot of time there.

You are aware that Conshohocken has a 1% wage tax as well as Business Privilege and Mercantile Taxes, right?
I mean, i'm sure they're cheaper than in the city but it's not exactly a free ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia