Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2009, 06:20 AM

6 posts, read 22,142 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband just got a job offer in Philly, and I love my Brooklyn job too much to leave--we're thinking of moving to Bucks County, PA. He would commute by car, while I would take the train from Trenton. I'm ok with the 2 hour commute, but we're trying to decide where exactly to move. We're looking at Yardley, Langhorne, Morrisville, Newtown...we'll be renting for a few years before we buy, looking to spend about 2500/month and ideally would like a home (over a townhouse or apartment--had enough of apt living in Manhattan!)

So where should we go, exactly?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 09:24 PM

26 posts, read 70,759 times
Wow - Bklyn to bucks.
I live in Bklyn and have a house in Yardley. Can't imagine commuting between the two.

Yardley is wonderful and saves you 20 minutes no matter what method you commute (car,train).
Newtown is only 15 minutes further than Yardley but at rush hour ........ it adds up. Yardley also is a bit easier to get on I95 south to philly at rush hour. Newtown just has more cars making that commute and traffic bottles up.

Yardley residents typically drive to the Hamilton station and take NJ transit to Penn station. The train is just over an hour. Hopefully your Bklyn job is near the ACE or 123 lines so that you only need one subway.

Your budget is more than enough to rent a house in Yardley. Stay as close as you can to the boro or south of the boro (to shave minutes off the trip to the train). You can buy a lovely home for that payment too.

Morrisville has some nice neighborhoods (north of pennsylvania ave) and near the yardley border its hard to tell where the boarder line is.
If you have kids - I would not consider morrisville at all (schools). I also wouldn't buy there as the school taxes are higher and property values are affected by the not so great schools.

Langhorne is not my preference although there are lots of great neighborhoods there. Neshaminy schools are as good as Pennsbury (yardley), or Council Rock (newtown). Langhorne just adds time to your train commute and offers nothing additional over Yardley to make it worth it. imho.

When your driving between NY and Yardley learn the route that has you getting off the turnpike at 7A. then 195 into trenton crossing to pa over the morrisville bridge. God knows I've tried every route and that's the fastest.

What neighborhood is your bklyn job in ??
I can probably give you a pretty good transit estimate.

Best of luck on the move.
Being a PA resident will save you a lot of money in taxes alone. It's an incredible area to live in and raise a family in.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:07 AM

6 posts, read 22,142 times
Thank you, MSN, for the informative response! My job is in downtown Brooklyn, close to all the trains.

Yardley sounds like a good option, but since we'd probably eventually purchase a home nearer to Philadelphia, we're also considering renting right outside Philly on the R5 main line, in which case I would take the R5 septa train to the 30th street station, then amtrak (I know, way $expensive$) to NYC, then subway to BK. Yikers. We want to avoid the Philly city tax. But that Amtrak monthly pass is so unconscionable!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:00 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,177,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comingtopa View Post
Thank you, MSN, for the informative response! My job is in downtown Brooklyn, close to all the trains.

Yardley sounds like a good option, but since we'd probably eventually purchase a home nearer to Philadelphia, we're also considering renting right outside Philly on the R5 main line, in which case I would take the R5 septa train to the 30th street station, then amtrak (I know, way $expensive$) to NYC, then subway to BK. Yikers. We want to avoid the Philly city tax. But that Amtrak monthly pass is so unconscionable!
With your consideration of the Main Line area, I hope that your job/career is eventually moving down to the Philly metro... or that you have a compressed schedule. Even when taking the Acela into account, that sounds like at least a 4.5 hour daily commute. Any of those Bucks County towns you're considering would allow an extra hour or more a day that your whole family can be together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia