Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 06:30 AM

3 posts, read 6,907 times

Advertisements

I do not yet understand why every retail shop/market in this city closes by 6 or 7 pm. How can anyone get any shopping or errands accomplished? This is not a convenient city. Yesterday I wanted to get a watch battery. I went to center city to find a kiosk or watch shop around 7 pm but everything was closed. I don't get it. Am I supposed to leave work during the day? What if I wanted to shop at the Reading Terminal Market? My work hours plus commute totally eliminate the chance. Who has a work schedule that actually permits getting to the shops and markets in Philly? Why not stay open till 9 or 10? How about a few stores stay open 24 hrs?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 08:07 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,542,987 times
that's because the zombies come out at night - the danger factor. just look at Market street by the gallery after 8 pm. sad state of affairs.... the saddest thing is to see the liberty place shops shut down early during the christmas rush.

unfortunately, its all about the suburban malls

i have a Rite Aid at Passyunk ave that closes at 10:00 and there are a bunch of Walgreens in center city open 24 hrs i think. the Superfresh and Whole Foods on 11th and South are open til 10-11:00. also 24 hour Wawa around 9th and Walnut...a convenient city its not...

Last edited by john_starks; 08-18-2009 at 09:30 AM..

Old 08-18-2009, 01:34 PM

64 posts, read 161,614 times
at least there are supermarkets near you, the part of north philly im living in has literally zero supermarkets or even small grocers, i have to get a subway if i want to buy a vegtable! thankfully they are finally building a supermarket near by, but it wont be done for 6months and its been a long time coming!
on thw whole i think the supermarket situation in philly is poor all around, be it because of limited opening hours or limited availability in alot of areas

Old 08-18-2009, 04:39 PM

Default My dismay might be justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
that's because the zombies come out at night - the danger factor. just look at Market street by the gallery after 8 pm. sad state of affairs.... the saddest thing is to see the liberty place shops shut down early during the christmas rush.

unfortunately, its all about the suburban malls

i have a Rite Aid at Passyunk ave that closes at 10:00 and there are a bunch of Walgreens in center city open 24 hrs i think. the Superfresh and Whole Foods on 11th and South are open til 10-11:00. also 24 hour Wawa around 9th and Walnut...a convenient city its not...

A sad state indeed. Its ironic to move to the city for the convenience but to not find any (as far as shopping). I am aware of the hours on those drug and grocery stores except for the Walgreens. Thanks.

Center City trumps itself as a great place but I'm not seeing it yet. I wonder if the Mayor should hire some more police and get some patrols out by the gallery and Market. It worked in NYC. I cannot believe the businesses are not complaining about the situation. I am sure there would be a ton more revenue if they could stay open past 6 or 7.

I guess it depends on your job, but do people just leave during the day to get stuff done? Is it acceptable, generally, in Philly, because things are only open 8/9 am to 6/7 pm? Or, do people just wait for crazy Saturday?

(I still need to rant about buying beer and Comcast.)

Old 08-18-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoifster View Post
at least there are supermarkets near you, the part of north philly im living in has literally zero supermarkets or even small grocers, i have to get a subway if i want to buy a vegtable! thankfully they are finally building a supermarket near by, but it wont be done for 6months and its been a long time coming!
on thw whole i think the supermarket situation in philly is poor all around, be it because of limited opening hours or limited availability in alot of areas

That is a real bummer. The supermarkets do seem rather poor.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:08 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,683,731 times
For what it's worth, Reading Terminal has Sunday hours. They just started last year or the year before. Of course, all the Dutch places are closed on weekends and other days too I think.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:16 AM

324 posts, read 1,220,912 times
The Amish places are open on Saturdays, not Sundays

Center City shooping was meant to cater to the business folks working in town...there isn't enough demand to stay open later otherwise, they would.

Vocalize this to the people you buy from, if enough people complain, they will stay open later to get your business

Old 08-19-2009, 11:40 AM

596 posts, read 1,707,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlydude View Post
Center City shopping was meant to cater to the business folks working in town...there isn't enough demand to stay open later otherwise, they would.

Vocalize this to the people you buy from, if enough people complain, they will stay open later to get your business
Yet another reason why this city is so backwards. Who exactly is occupying all of the rowhouses/condos/highrises that are all over Center City? I read someplace recently that the core zipcodes (19103 for example) have a residential population of over 100,000. How many towns of that size do you know of where all services close by 7pm? Additionally, how many population centers of that size have just one grocery store? (Trader Joes at 22nd and Market). Coincidentally, despite the fact it's tiny and doesn't sell beer or wine like many of its stores..that Trader Joes is one of the highest volume in the company. That should make a point...to someone.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:00 PM

324 posts, read 1,220,912 times
don't blame the city on beer and wine, blame the state's blue laws

No one is allowed to sell hard liquor or wine EXCEPT the PA Liquor Control Board (although that may be changing with in store wine sections soon). Beer is only allowed to be sold through licensed "beverage" suppliers (beer and soda houses aka "beer distributors"). No alcohol can be sold on Sundays except in pubs or taverns (bars).

I'd also imagine that if you live in Center City, you probably eat out 3-4 times a week as well and one of the nights at home is a pizza night.

Again, complain to the stores you frequent during the day or else they don't know that there is a demand for this type of service.

In the neighborhoods, there are corner stores (a lot less now than 30-50 years ago) that sell the basics, they just can't make the money to be profitable in the higher costs areas of downtown.

Also, keep in mind that in NJ, DE and MD you cannot buy alcohol in non-liquor stores as well. This is not just endemic to PA (or more specifically Philly)

Old 08-19-2009, 01:59 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
It may be since Philly is so scarey at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia