Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 03:01 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,031,388 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

I was just wondering if people thought that the city was losing population due to flight or due to death of the elderly? I hear tell people are moving to the place due to MUCH lower housing prices compared with NYC and DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 08:09 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,812,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed before.

I was just wondering if people thought that the city was losing population due to flight or due to death of the elderly? I hear tell people are moving to the place due to MUCH lower housing prices compared with NYC and DC.
One theory is that large family households are being replaced by smaller familys and singles and empty nesters in trendy neighborhoods. Public schools in the city are basicly worthless at best so as soon as you have kids it's off to the suburbs unless you are rich enough for private schools. Young adults without kids replace them, thus reducing the population. For every old person that dies someone else grows old so that is pretty steady.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:29 AM

8,999 posts, read 21,253,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
One theory is that large family households are being replaced by smaller familys and singles and empty nesters in trendy neighborhoods. Public schools in the city are basicly worthless at best so as soon as you have kids it's off to the suburbs unless you are rich enough for private schools. Young adults without kids replace them, thus reducing the population. For every old person that dies someone else grows old so that is pretty steady.
I agree with Bryson's points, save perhaps that IMO there are some diamonds in the rough that is the Philadelphia School District.

I believe the metro as a whole is growing. Most of the job growth tends to occur out in the 'burbs, especially around King of Prussia, Fort Washington, Exton, etc. There are also long-haul commuters to the NYC area looking for more affordable housing. There may be some Delaware commuters who live across the state line in PA as well. Of course, a good portion of South Jersey is convenient to the city and is usually included with the Philly metro for statistical purposes.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:22 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,539,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I think Philly proper will continue to lose population albeit at a slower pace than decades ago. The metro area is probably fairly stable with in-migration in the burbs, births somewhat offsetting deaths and out-migration. Like all major metro areas, it is fragmented. Philly is probably an extreme example for fragmentation however.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:42 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,812,848 times
There is no question that the metro is growing and has never stopped growing, all be it more slowly then sunbelt cities. I think the OP was asking about the city proper and what is happening to those people.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:47 AM

8,999 posts, read 21,253,187 times
True enough, bryson. Most cities proper aren't growing unless you're talking about Sun Belt cities like Phoenix and Houston with their milder weather and lower cost of living. Of course, you also have places like New York, Boston, Washington DC, Chicago and Los Angeles that are going to keep growing because of their regional/international status and reputation. Philly admittedly is not quite in the same league as these places.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:50 AM

If you believe the data, population growth in the metro area is up about 2.5% since 2000. This is low growth, stable environment, and pales by comparison to the sunbelt. The City of Phoenix now has a larger population than Philly proper.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:59 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,031,388 times
Sunbelt cities are wierd in that there growth is easier due to different layouts. Philly can only go up and that has been the case for decades. Houston and Phoenix shot up due to spreading out.

As for Economic Health, Delaware Valley is fairly healthy but not really growing all that much either.

Houston is giving the place a run for it's money in buisness and diversification.

Phoenix, seems like it has been too reliant on real estate.

As for Philly itself it's an overall decent city, fairly healthy but not NYC, LA, or Chicago. It needs to restructre itself, clean up and get better PR, it does decently but could be doing A LOT better given it's assets.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:29 AM

I think the City of Philly's situation is nearly hopeless, frankly. You can't do anything without education and public schools are a disaster. Until they fix the schools and lower crime (both are related), nothing positive will happen to the City's image.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:02 PM

7,319 posts, read 10,688,253 times
Default My Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
True enough, bryson. Most cities proper aren't growing unless you're talking about Sun Belt cities like Phoenix and Houston with their milder weather and lower cost of living. Of course, you also have places like New York, Boston, Washington DC, Chicago and Los Angeles that are going to keep growing because of their regional/international status and reputation. Philly admittedly is not quite in the same league as these places.
Just wanted to piggyback off of this comment.

In its current state, you'd be right -- but I think that Philadelphia is definitely repositioning itself to regain an international status that will allow it to not only offset population loss but achieve population gain. The former is already beginning to occur.

I think, if you were to compare the city to the one's you've mentioned, one of the key differences is the role that immigration has played in stemming population losses. New York, of course, has always been a primary destination for immigrants, and cities like Chicago, DC and Boston have begun to leverage their assets to attract new immigrants to the city, which no doubt keep their local economies stimulated and ahead of Philadelphia in terms of revitalizing their urban cores post-deindustrialization.

This report by Brookings
shows how Philadelphia is beginning to re-emerge as the immigration destination it once had been up until the mid-twentieth century. If the city can continue to attract highly-educated and entrepreneurial people from abroad (not to mention retaining local ones), I can certainly see Philly reversing the decades-old trend of population loss and even begin to bolster its economic climate. Following this model is what kept older cities like Boston and Chicago in better shape, and it can work for Philadelphia.

Last edited by Duderino; 04-21-2009 at 12:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia