Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:13 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times

Advertisements

Crime can actually be higher in "safe" neighborhoods. Look up robberies, burglaries, thefts, muggings and you'll find they occur in the better neighborhoods. Criminals don't steal from or rob poor people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 11:06 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Crime can actually be higher in "safe" neighborhoods. Look up robberies, burglaries, thefts, muggings and you'll find they occur in the better neighborhoods. Criminals don't steal from or rob poor people.
Criminals rob and steal from the easiest target. That wouldn't necessarily equate to the nicer neighborhoods. You very rarely hear of any crime in Center City because there are thousands of witnesses around. Criminals are the exception and not the norm, they standout. If your theory was correct then the Mainline and Chestnut Hill would have a crime blotter a mile long. Not saying there is no crime on the Mainline or Chestnut Hill but its rare compared to west and north Philadelphia.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 14,275 times
Default Philly crime?

I have to agree with the naysayers on Philly crime here. Statistics must be properly interpreted, and then applied to one's own circumstances, to have any useful meaning. There are so many stupid people out there, with scaremongers like the idiot in the White House ready and willing to lead them along by the collar.

Furthermore, as a professional geographer, I know how maps can be misused and abused to mislead the spatially-illiterate.

As a resident of America's National Capital Region, and recent visitor to Philly, I can say that there are places in and around DC that I will not go, PERIOD. However, recently driving around, yes, northern and western Philly (not just Chestnut Hill, mind you--up Broad Street from City Hall all the way past the Turnpike out way beyond city limits, with some side detours around Temple University), I never felt threatened as I would have in certain areas of DC or environs.

As for "replantedinSC": if that "SC" in your name means the Palmetto State, then if I'm not mistaken you have a statistically greater chance there in your new pasture than in any other state of dying in a car crash, at least on the face of it. So watch out for drunken hunters or gang bangers driving wild on the roadways (you'll find the latter there, too!). I so regret having had the misfortune of growing up there.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:43 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,798,809 times
All citys have crime problems. None is truely worse then another in the USA (among those with large concentration of poor Blacks and Hispanics). The bulk of violent crime is always concentrated in certain areas. The title safest and most dangerous city are rediculous.

1. Becuase the USA is violent.
2. Becuase unless your Black or Latino living in the ghetto your chances of being a crime victim are pretty low.
3. When it comes to murders, most are commited by people with some kind of relationship or involved in illegal activity. Most killings are over disputes and drugs. If you get robbed, give up the cash and don't test the shooter (A women in NYC did this on the L.E.S and was killed).
4. Most crimes go unreported, ESPECIALLY in low income inner city areas (where most violent crimes happen).
5. Most citys downgrade statistics. Let them rise for federal money, lower them for real estate interest and tourism. Make administrations look good (just push the future problems off to someone else down the line).

Last edited by Hustla718; 06-11-2007 at 11:55 PM..

Old 07-31-2007, 06:56 PM

35 posts, read 35,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I could see trying to pick on Philadelphia if it was the only place on earth that experiences crime. But Philadelphia is no different than any other major city in the USA. 2005 Philadelphia ranked 36th in violent crime in cities over 350,000 people. 2006 Philly crime spiked and the ranking will probably be a bit higher, but I bet there will still be at least 20 other major cities in worse shape than Philly regarding violent crime.
I realize NYC is 6 times the size of Philadlephia but in 2005 NYC had 4 times as many violent crimes as Philly, but you never hear about NYC being an unsafe place to live.If NYC has 40,000 violent crimes per year and Phillys has 10,000 violent crimes, in reality which place is more unsafe?
Just like Manhattan is going to be safer than parts of the Bronx/Queens, Center City is going to be safer than West/North Philly.
Ok First off Thats bull crap. NYC is now in way better condition than phila. Why? Becuase poliece presence increased alot!! in NYC. In phila we have a shortage of poliece men. Over the last year 10 have been killed. And know one talks about NYC crimes becuase no one cares about it. And in 2005 it had 4 times, yea so what big deal. No today phila is about 16th on the violent cities. NYC was about 64th. Below was STL, Detroit, Compton, LA. And a few more but that was about it. And yes most of the crimes do occor in west and north and some aswell as south, but i know for a fact that the east side isnt as bad as the W, and N. I would know becuause I LIVE IN PHILA.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:05 PM

35 posts, read 35,220 times
[quote=Hustla718;870539]

1. Becuase the USA is violent.
2. Becuase unless your Black or Latino living in the ghetto your chances of being a crime victim are pretty low.
3. When it comes to murders, most are commited by people with some kind of relationship or involved in illegal activity. Most killings are over disputes and drugs. If you get robbed, give up the cash and don't test the shooter (A women in NYC did this on the L.E.S and was killed).
4. Most crimes go unreported, ESPECIALLY in low income inner city areas

Oh boy... ok here I go....hustla you have helped me but i disagree alot.

1. Not all the usa is violent you dont see people being shot in Kentucky "Hick States
2. Half the crimes that occor in the city are at whites. I.E. If a white guy is walking down the street in W. phila and a black guy is. THE WHITE GUY IS GUNNA GET JUMPED OR SHOT.
3. oh yea its really people in illegal activity because the grandmother leaving her apartment was gunna go sell some dope on the corner
4. Yes most crimes do go unreported. Why? Lets say a shop owner gets robbed and the cops catch the guys that robbed it. The ower 75%+ of the time the owner doesnt want to press charges because if and when they get out they will come back and kill or harm him again. SHORT VERSON: Crime dooers are using scare tactics to frighten the store owner.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:32 PM

16 posts, read 102,300 times
City,
Look at the numbers and facts before you go blurting out your repetitive, uninformed opinion. It is annoying. As for your insightful bit about most victims are white, that could not be more false. I have no idea if you merely speculate or if you really are that foolish but a quick look at the numbers reveal that the VAST majority of people being shot are black. I, being white, do not condone this and think it is repulsive that Philadelphia has this massive problem. On top of that, I have never been nervous while walking through neighborhoods in North Philadelphia in the evening. I would most likely encounter a problem post 8 PM. I firmly believe the crime is linked to drug trafficking. A stronger police presence, outside of the nicer neighborhoods, would be a good start to diminishing the crime in this city. So please, take a look at the statistics on the Philadelphia Police Department's website before sounding off. Alright bud?

Old 03-27-2008, 02:26 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,498 times
Subway beating victim suffered fatal asthma attack; case ruled murder | Philadelphia Inquirer | 03/27/2008 (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20080327_Three_teens_sought_in_fatal_subway_attack .html - broken link)

Subway beating victim suffered fatal asthma attack; case ruled murder
By Barbara Boyer Sam Wood and Andrew Maykuth

Inquirer Staff Writers

Sean Patrick Conroy, the 36-year-old Starbucks manager who was attacked in a Center City subway yesterday, died of an "asthma attack brought on by blunt force trauma," the medical examiner ruled today.
His death was ruled a homicide, said Jeff Moran, a spokesman for the medical examiner.

Police today are intently searching for three of four Simon Gratz High School students who skipped classes Wednesday and ambushed Conroy on a subway concourse in the heart of Center City. The man died less than an hour after the attack.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-28-2008 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 03-27-2008, 03:21 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,587,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Subway beating victim suffered fatal asthma attack; case ruled murder | Philadelphia Inquirer | 03/27/2008 (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20080327_Three_teens_sought_in_fatal_subway_attack .html - broken link)

Subway beating victim suffered fatal asthma attack; case ruled murder
By Barbara Boyer Sam Wood and Andrew Maykuth

Inquirer Staff Writers

Sean Patrick Conroy, the 36-year-old Starbucks manager who was attacked in a Center City subway yesterday, died of an "asthma attack brought on by blunt force trauma," the medical examiner ruled today.
His death was ruled a homicide, said Jeff Moran, a spokesman for the medical examiner.

Police today are intently searching for three of four Simon Gratz High School students who skipped classes Wednesday and ambushed Conroy on a subway concourse in the heart of Center City. The man died less than an hour after the attack.
This is a one time horrible, frightful incident, but it should not deter people from coming into center city. Remember murders are also committted in the "safe" suburbs.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-28-2008 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: quote violated copyright

Old 03-27-2008, 04:02 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
One incident does not make a city unsafe. Thats reactionary and emotional. I happen to think that Philly is lets say, 'wound up' and I certainly feel safer in Downtown Chicago (pop 5+ million) verses downtown Philly (pop. 1+ million) but its not due to one albeit terrifying incident-its just the vibe I get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia