Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:49 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,314,767 times

Advertisements

Using the map at: SEPTA

Which route is called the "Main Line"?

What is the significance of the El, and which is the El in that map?

Please provide a high level description of the above map.

Any other maps to know?

Thanks a ton!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 03:41 PM

101 posts, read 384,379 times
The Market Frankford Line is the El.

I'm not sure what you mean by the main line, but the Broad St. line runs north and south through the city.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggtimer View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by the main line, but the Broad St. line runs north and south through the city.
The "Main Line" referred to in this thread:
How welcoming is the Main Line?
I suspect it is different than the Broad St. Line.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:37 PM

To understand "Regional Rail Lines", I would like to understand how this (example) route work (this is just an example) -- Philadelphia Intl Airport Term E (R1) to Bryn Mawr (R5).
I suppose I would pay $6 (or $7 on board) -- this info is off the clickable map -- at Terminal E when I am inside the train? Then I would go upto 30th street station, get off. Now do I get a free transfer to R5 line, or do I need to pay again?

Old 12-07-2008, 07:20 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Using the map at: SEPTA

Which route is called the "Main Line"?
The R5 Regional Rail to Paoli/Thorndale runs along the affluent set of towns known as the "Main Line". A long time ago, it was "the" main railroad line in town.

Quote:
What is the significance of the El, and which is the El in that map?
The Market-Frankford Elevated Train is a heavy rail route that travels above ground from Frankford in Northeast Philly, then goes underground through Center City then emerges to go above ground again through West Philly out to Upper Darby in Delaware County. Along with the Broad Street Subway - and to some extent, the Green Line light rail "trolleys"- it's a faster alternative for city residents to get through the city compared to buses and less expensive than the Regional Rail trains.

Quote:
Please provide a high level description of the above map.

Any other maps to know?

Thanks a ton!
The map you're looking at is the basic overview of the SEPTA rail system. Other maps can be found here: SEPTA.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
To understand "Regional Rail Lines", I would like to understand how this (example) route work (this is just an example) -- Philadelphia Intl Airport Term E (R1) to Bryn Mawr (R5).
I suppose I would pay $6 (or $7 on board) -- this info is off the clickable map -- at Terminal E when I am inside the train? Then I would go upto 30th street station, get off. Now do I get a free transfer to R5 line, or do I need to pay again?
You would tell the train conductor that you were headed to Bryn Mawr. The conductor would punch out a ticket that you would be able to use when you changed trains at 30th Street Station. According to the "Plan My Trip" feature on SEPTA's website, it would cost $9.

At most other stations, there would either be a ticket agent and/or a ticket machine available. In that scenario, both resources are usually user-friendly enough to do the same thing you would have done on-board with the conductor.

Last edited by FindingZen; 12-08-2008 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: Fixed my directions

Old 12-07-2008, 09:33 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,981,565 times
Basically what Tone said except that you change trains at 30th St., not at Bryn Mawr, and, I don't know if it changed but it used to be (as in 6 months ago) a flat rate from the airport to anywhere else in the regional rail system. It was $5.50 to Center City and $7.50 to anywhere else.

Of course, if that was your daily commute you would buy a monthly pass which would cost you $142 for unlimited rides on all SEPTA vehicles within the city and the first 3 suburban zones.

On that map -

the el = the blue line
the subway = the orange line
the trolleys aka subway/surface lines = the green line
PATCO = the red line
suburban trolleys = the brown lines/purple line

the main line = the R5 Paoli/Thorndale

Old 12-08-2008, 06:18 AM

Oops, I had a typo there. What do you expect at the wee hours of 10:00pm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Basically what Tone said except that you change trains at 30th St., not at Bryn Mawr, and, I don't know if it changed but it used to be (as in 6 months ago) a flat rate from the airport to anywhere else in the regional rail system. It was $5.50 to Center City and $7.50 to anywhere else.

Of course, if that was your daily commute you would buy a monthly pass which would cost you $142 for unlimited rides on all SEPTA vehicles within the city and the first 3 suburban zones.

On that map -

the el = the blue line
the subway = the orange line
the trolleys aka subway/surface lines = the green line
PATCO = the red line
suburban trolleys = the brown lines/purple line

the main line = the R5 Paoli/Thorndale

Old 12-08-2008, 07:09 PM

Thanks for all the above info. Another question:

Which are the station(s) for Center City -- and if there are multiple stations, which ones for the entertainment area, for the office area, for residential area.

Thanks.

Last edited by FromGA; 12-08-2008 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: Additional text

Old 12-08-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the above info. Another question:

Which are the station(s) for Center City -- and if there are multiple stations, which ones for the entertainment area, for the office area, for residential area.

Thanks.
The Center City Regional Rail Stations are Market East, Suburban Station and 30th Street Station. Any Blue Line El or Green Line trolley traveling between 2nd and 30th Streets is essentially downtown as well. The vast majority of offices in the city are located downtown.

If by "entertainment area" you mean the arenas and stadiums, you would take the Broad Street Line (orange) to the last southbound stop at Pattison and follow the crowd heading to the left.

As Center City is but two square miles, you are never far from any residence, office or attraction in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia