Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 03:45 AM

34 posts, read 49,176 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! First of all, thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and provide your advice. So here's my story: I'm from a smaller town in Florida (Port St Lucie) and am relocating soon. I'm looking for something A LOT different and I keep hearing about how great Philadelphia will be for me. I actually was just in Philly in December and am visiting again in May. My job is easily transferrable and very well paying so I'm not overly worried about the financial aspect of it. So here's what I'm looking for:
1) area with a lot of young professionals and recent college graduates. Obviously, these are the people I'm going to have the most in common with so I'd like to live in the neighborhoods with the highest concentration of them. Plus, I'm single. So it's important for me to be near a lot of smart, young women to socialize with. My budget is up to $1700 and I'm okay with a studio but would prefer a one bedroom. What areas would you suggest as I'm going to be looking at apartments when I visit?
2) I'm really big into bars and nice restaurants (which I know Philly has plenty of). But I'm also really into nightclubs and specifically techno clubs. Does Philadelphia have a decent amount of these? When I was there in December, I didn't really get a chance to experience this scene because I was actually with my girlfriend (at the time). How's the club scene in Philly?
3) Walk-able city, which I know Philly definitely has. So I don't need advice there. That was one of my favorite parts of the city is that we basically walked everywhere.

Well, there you have it! That's basically what I'm looking for. Other cities I'm considering are Pittsburgh, Chicago, Milwaukee, Tampa, and Denver. So if you or someone you know has lived in any of those cities, please feel free to share your experience and provide your opinion on if that would be a good fit for me or not. Thanks in advance and have a great day everybody!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 07:44 AM

2,619 posts, read 2,747,152 times
I don't know about the night life in Pittsburgh, but it is a good place to live for cost of living. Getting a job if you don't already have one can be the hard part. Pittsburgh is basically a bunch of small towns clumped together as a medium sized city.

Philly has a techno club at Coda. I don't know about where the other ones would be, but there are probably many more. Electric Factory plays techno music bands sometimes. You'd probably do well to consider Fairmount, Brewerytown, Fishtown, Northern Liberties maybe, Center City.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:55 AM

7,760 posts, read 5,605,458 times
If your budget is $1700, you are good to go.

Rumor and District N9ne are two other popular edm clubs. There are a number of others around.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:30 AM

9,456 posts, read 9,514,564 times
It is a gay club, but Voyuer night club mostly an after hours spot is one of the liveliest in town. (straight people go to).

Philadelphia has an amazing bar and restaurant scene, but club scene is on the tame side for a city of its size, but there certainly are options.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:15 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,003,541 times
There's also that huge new club on spring garden and 12th coming soon.

That's gonna be a game changer for that scene.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:55 AM

9,456 posts, read 9,514,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post

Whats the news on that? I thought it was supposed to open by the new year.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:20 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,475,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post

Isn't there a big club opening @12th and Vine, also?

Old 02-25-2017, 01:09 AM

377 posts, read 670,851 times
In reading your posts - all within the past few days, you seem to be adding/subtracting interested cities, based on which one you're currently addressing. You also seem to have a floating "budget". Why is that?

Old 02-25-2017, 01:35 AM

1 posts, read 662 times
It's a good place for living, i was been there for twice and now i am going to be relocating there again

Old 02-25-2017, 10:14 AM

34 posts, read 49,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
In reading your posts - all within the past few days, you seem to be adding/subtracting interested cities, based on which one you're currently addressing. You also seem to have a floating "budget". Why is that?
floating budget? It stays between $1500-2000, depending on the city. I'm trying to figure out which city is best for my needs. I'm visiting all of them but I want to know as much as I can about each one before visiting so I can focus my time on the small details rather than trying to figure out the big details when I visit as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia