Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 10:00 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,934,065 times

Advertisements

Just curious if that money has been passed down or if most of that insane wealth simply comes from working. If it is the latter, what professions do those people have, other than being doctors? Are there really that many high paying industries in the greater Philadelphia region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 02:28 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,097,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Are there really that many high paying industries in the greater Philadelphia region?
No, there aren't, there just happens to be zip code after zip code of higher income people, across several counties.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:50 AM

635 posts, read 1,167,020 times
Quote:
Just curious if that money has been passed down or if most of that insane wealth simply comes from working. If it is the latter, what professions do those people have, other than being doctors? Are there really that many high paying industries in the greater Philadelphia region?
Dual income professionals leveraged to the hilt, mostly working in and around the healthcare profession.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:28 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,610,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
No, there aren't, there just happens to be zip code after zip code of higher income people, across several counties.
LOL. I detect a little bit of sarcasm, but yes, clearly in a major metropolitan area like Philadelphia you're going to find a high concentration of well-paying professions across diverse industries. Having a good amount of legacy, "old money" wealth doesn't hurt, either.

The fact that the Philly region is home to one of the largest agglomerations of affluence--frankly on a world level--I guess comes as a surprise to some people unfamiliar with the area.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:38 PM

1,783 posts, read 1,557,226 times
Most of these homes are owned by professionals across all industries - legal, medicine, banking, finance, pharmaceuticals, engineering, government employees, entertainment, business owners, media, etc

What is more surprising is the large number of horse properties in the Philly region.

Quote:

Old 12-24-2016, 02:23 AM

153 posts, read 138,415 times
Quote:
Many years ago I worked for a large, prestigious law firm in center city, Philadelphia. The majority of lawyers who worked in that firm lived on the Main Line (which is comprised of the towns you listed in your post, as well as others that you didn't mention). These lawyers had last names like, "Drexel, Montgomery, Ballard, and Milne," just to name a few.

A great number of those attorneys were what some people referred to as, "Blue bloods," people who descended from socially-prominent families. The term "old money" was also associated with those families.
To this day, my only contact with Philadelphia's social-register population has been limited to the lawyers at PH&S, so I don't know what other professions people from that area tend to hold other than positions in law and, as you mentioned, medicine.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:36 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,097,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
LOL. I detect a little bit of sarcasm, but yes, clearly in a major metropolitan area like Philadelphia you're going to find a high concentration of well-paying professions across diverse industries. Having a good amount of legacy, "old money" wealth doesn't hurt, either.

The fact that the Philly region is home to one of the largest agglomerations of affluence--frankly on a world level--I guess comes as a surprise to some people unfamiliar with the area.
The frustrating part is that it shouldn't be a surprise, though. My company has hundreds of clients throughout the Main Line - mostly the Western Main Line, actually - and many of them are: doctors/surgeons/heads of hospitals, business executives, lawyers, partners/owners of consulting firms, pharmaceutical execs and scientists, real estate builders and developers, financial advisors, and new venture start-up people. Some, perhaps many, have inherited their money, but others have started with little. Some Main Liners are descendants of founders of some of the most well-known companies in the nation (Campbell's Soup, DuPont, The Pennsylvania Railroad, etc.). Quite a few are originally from somewhere else, and more than a few are from other countries.

There are also big pockets of wealth in the city (Chestnut Hill, Center City) and throughout the remaining suburbs (Blue Bell/Gwynedd/Upper Dublin/Fort Washington/Whitemarsh in Montgomery County, Doylestown/New Hope/Newtown/Yardley in Bucks County), etc.

Why does the Philadelphia region have to explain its wealth?

Last edited by BPP1999; 12-24-2016 at 03:10 PM..

Old 12-25-2016, 02:02 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,442,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Why does the Philadelphia region have to explain its wealth?
You don't think OP has a legit question?

If you want to live on the Main Line and the lifestyle that encompasses, what's wrong with asking what it takes to get there?

To answer the question, yes some of the project the are descended from wealth. Others have leadership positions in the field you already know of.

You can't just be a surgeon, you must be chief surgeon. Not just a lawyer but a ranking partner in a firm. Not just an engineer, but a director or VP, someone with a contract, not a salary. Many of these people have an MBA as well as degrees in their field. Even doctors who to run a hospital chain will have MBAs.

So a combination of credentials, along with leadership positions in your field. Regular grunts, even earning six figures, won't get you to the Main Line. Just a doctor in the ER? Nope.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:25 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,355,195 times
These ignorant threads annoy me. One of the oldest and largest metro areas in the nation, yet someone asks a totally asinine question as to why there is so much wealth outside of Philadelphia.

Do people ask this about Boston, Chicago, San Fran?? No, he/she is simply looking to start trouble/totally ignorant to other regions of the country.

I have never been to Chicago, but of course I know there is a ton of wealth in that area, its common sense.

On a side note, I know a lot of people from all over the country who went to Villanova U, and were totally shocked at the incredible amount of money they saw up and down the Main Line (specifically Villanova) during their time there. I think the Main Line falls under the radar but certainly can run with its more well known counterparts like Beverly Hills, Fairfield County, Bergen County, etc.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:10 AM

1,783 posts, read 1,557,226 times
Beverly Hills on in a class of it's own. Nothing comes close. $1 million won't get you a parking spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
These ignorant threads annoy me. One of the oldest and largest metro areas in the nation, yet someone asks a totally asinine question as to why there is so much wealth outside of Philadelphia.

Do people ask this about Boston, Chicago, San Fran?? No, he/she is simply looking to start trouble/totally ignorant to other regions of the country.

I have never been to Chicago, but of course I know there is a ton of wealth in that area, its common sense.

On a side note, I know a lot of people from all over the country who went to Villanova U, and were totally shocked at the incredible amount of money they saw up and down the Main Line (specifically Villanova) during their time there. I think the Main Line falls under the radar but certainly can run with its more well known counterparts like Beverly Hills, Fairfield County, Bergen County, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia