Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 03:26 PM

9,448 posts, read 9,477,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Beverly Hills on in a class of it's own. Nothing comes close. $1 million won't get you a parking spot.

Lets not miss my point....

Some areas of Manhattan are more expensive with higher COL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 06:50 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,952,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
These ignorant threads annoy me. One of the oldest and largest metro areas in the nation, yet someone asks a totally asinine question as to why there is so much wealth outside of Philadelphia.

Do people ask this about Boston, Chicago, San Fran?? No, he/she is simply looking to start trouble/totally ignorant to other regions of the country.

I have never been to Chicago, but of course I know there is a ton of wealth in that area, its common sense.

On a side note, I know a lot of people from all over the country who went to Villanova U, and were totally shocked at the incredible amount of money they saw up and down the Main Line (specifically Villanova) during their time there. I think the Main Line falls under the radar but certainly can run with its more well known counterparts like Beverly Hills, Fairfield County, Bergen County, etc.

'Ignorant thread'.....OK, whatever. Even though I went to school and lived in the area for over half a decade. I was simply asking a question, no need to get you underwear in a bundle.

I mean yes, I could guess that doctors/lawyers/CPAs/and even sports players live there, but that doesn't encompass a ton of the wealth. My brother, who is a professional digital designer in NYC who has done work for the likes of NBC, MTV, and CNN even got hired by a single woman in her 60s for an ENTIRE MONTH to go down to Gladwyne, all expenses paid with salary, to live in his own enclave in her mansion along with a team of people in order to make a professional documentary on this lady's family history. That kind of stuff goes way beyond even professional sports players or even execs.

SF, you know they have tech related to Google, Facebook, Uber, etc. NYC, you know that they have Wall Street, finance, and other major banks to work for. Boston is a major, major hub for the life sciences, medicine, and biotech. Boston and SF are THE premier biotech hubs in the entire country. There's nothing wrong with asking what people simply 'do for a living' in order to be able to afford a life on the Main Line. For example, OK, I didn't know that we're talking about the execs and founders of companies like Campbell's, Dupont, probably heads of discovery at GSK, etc. living in those areas. If I want to live on the Main Line, I get it--you need to be the cream of the crop of the execs, not just a successful white collar worker.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:04 PM

9,426 posts, read 13,117,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
'Ignorant thread'.....OK, whatever. Even though I went to school and lived in the area for over half a decade. I was simply asking a question, no need to get you underwear in a bundle.

I mean yes, I could guess that doctors/lawyers/CPAs/and even sports players live there, but that doesn't encompass a ton of the wealth. My brother, who is a professional digital designer in NYC who has done work for the likes of NBC, MTV, and CNN even got hired by a single woman in her 60s for an ENTIRE MONTH to go down to Gladwyne, all expenses paid with salary, to live in his own enclave in her mansion along with a team of people in order to make a professional documentary on this lady's family history. That kind of stuff goes way beyond even professional sports players or even execs.

SF, you know they have tech related to Google, Facebook, Uber, etc. NYC, you know that they have Wall Street, finance, and other major banks to work for. Boston is a major, major hub for the life sciences, medicine, and biotech. Boston and SF are THE premier biotech hubs in the entire country. There's nothing wrong with asking what people simply 'do for a living' in order to be able to afford a life on the Main Line. For example, OK, I didn't know that we're talking about the execs and founders of companies like Campbell's, Dupont, probably heads of discovery at GSK, etc. living in those areas. If I want to live on the Main Line, I get it--you need to be the cream of the crop of the execs, not just a successful white collar worker.
Only if you want to live on a ten-acre estate in Gladwyne, Haverford, Villanova, or Rosemont. Even in those sections there are plenty of "mere" successful white collar workers... new money power couples that are just scraping by with combined incomes in the low-mid sixes!

Old 12-27-2016, 07:30 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,835,452 times
Quote:
These ignorant threads annoy me. One of the oldest and largest metro areas in the nation, yet someone asks a totally asinine question as to why there is so much wealth outside of Philadelphia.

Do people ask this about Boston, Chicago, San Fran?? No, he/she is simply looking to start trouble/totally ignorant to other regions of the country.

I have never been to Chicago, but of course I know there is a ton of wealth in that area, its common sense.

On a side note, I know a lot of people from all over the country who went to Villanova U, and were totally shocked at the incredible amount of money they saw up and down the Main Line (specifically Villanova) during their time there. I think the Main Line falls under the radar but certainly can run with its more well known counterparts like Beverly Hills, Fairfield County, Bergen County, etc.
Look, it all fits into the ongoing image problem that the area and city continues to have overall. People(generally), as you have discovered, are impossibly dumb about us.

If we in the were in the middle of no where, the way Boston and Chicago are, with the same degree of surrounding wealth and amenities, there would be no image problem.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:43 AM

377 posts, read 478,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Dual income professionals leveraged to the hilt, mostly working in and around the healthcare profession.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:44 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,778,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Look, it all fits into the ongoing image problem that the area and city continues to have overall. People(generally), as you have discovered, are impossibly dumb about us.

If we in the were in the middle of no where, the way Boston and Chicago are, with the same degree of surrounding wealth and amenities, there would be no image problem.
How are Boston and Chicago in the middle of nowhere? Chicago and Boston's presences themselves by virtue make their areas anything but.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:55 AM

9,448 posts, read 9,477,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post

Yes, it is an ignorant thread. The fifth largest city with one of the largest economies should not have to explain itself as to why there are so many rich people in the area.

Its common sense. And there are vast amounts of wealth in regions other than the Main Line. A good chunk of Chester, Delaware, and Bucks Counties, even New Castle County, DE has some very exclusive zipcodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
How are Boston and Chicago in the middle of nowhere? Chicago and Boston's presences themselves by virtue make their areas anything but.

They also have the advantage of not being smack in the middle of NYC and DC. Any city would be overshadowed if it were stuck in-between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

Very frustrating, we might as well be a third world nation to some people.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I was referring to all of New England.
Boston is essentially the "capital" of New England with no other metro area nearby to compete with or contend with.

Chicago is a THE mega city in the mid-west. Other than the Twin Cities, explain its competition?

Philadelphia is 90 miles away from one the grandest/greatest city's in the world. It's slightly further away from the country's political capital. There are certainly benefits to being near those places but it also means that Philly still gets overlooked when it shouldn't. Geography has not always been Philly's friend.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Very frustrating, we might as well be a third world nation to some people.
Here's something that I find equally frustrating. I was in San Francisco a year ago and I could not get over the homeless problem there. But does it ever affect its tourism or how people view it? I think, "No". How about LA with skid row next to DTLA? Does it ever change people's perceptions across the country?

Old 12-27-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Only if you want to live on a ten-acre estate in Gladwyne, Haverford, Villanova, or Rosemont. Even in those sections there are plenty of "mere" successful white collar workers... new money power couples that are just scraping by with combined incomes in the low-mid sixes!
Hell, there are working class neighborhoods right on the Main Line. I grew up in one of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia