Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 04:09 PM

221 posts, read 400,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon2014 View Post
And 1 looks like a low income NE Philly house. :
Now you're speaking my language ; )

Also, what's on the market at this very moment (at full listing prices) obviously isn't indicative of the full spectrum of opportunities to purchase a nice house in Ambler for $250K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 04:41 PM

8 posts, read 9,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Most towns will levy borough,county,school taxes. Trash fees along with sewer fees most likely will be incorporated within borough taxes.
Thank you

Old 03-20-2015, 09:48 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,225,958 times
Quote:
It's a 100 mile drive from Harrisburg to Villanova. Look at a map. You can't average 100 MPH on your drive. You are digging your hole of idiocy deeper and deeper.
LOL now you are telling me how long long "my" commutes are. I do a bi-monthly drive to Middletown just outside Harrisburg, from door to door its a 1 hr- 1 1/2 hr commute, last week I made the trip in just over an hour, traffic was light. Trip meter is around 78, max speed limit posted is 70, nobody drives 70 . But thanks for telling me the trip should have taken me 3 hours LOL.

Quote:
Commute times are door too door. If someone lives in a typical house in Ambler, the time it takes to get to train station, get on train, get off train and make it into some center city highrise will be over 1 hour
Your original statement you need to live 1.5 hours from the city to find a decent sized house under $250 K is unbelievably incorrect.

Plug in most towns in Delaware County,Montgomery County,South jersey,Northern Delaware and each town will have 50 nice houses for sale below $250 K. Towns like Springfield,Havertown,Ridley Township,Aston,Brookhaven,Media are 20 minutes-30 minutes from Center City .

Hour commute gets you into West Chester,Downingtown,Exton,Phoenixville.

1.5 hours is Lancaster ,Reading Allentown.

So no you dont have to be 1.5 hours from the city to find a nice house for under $250 K. i will say though that the further away you are from the city the more house you will get for your money.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:58 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,225,958 times
Quote:

The OP won't find anything nice in the area unless it's very small or more than 1.5 hours commute from center city Philly.
weichert website.

Cherry Hill Township NJ- 20-30 minutes from Center City.

214 listings under $250 K.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:41 PM

178 posts, read 258,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
weichert website.

Cherry Hill Township NJ- 20-30 minutes from Center City.

214 listings under $250 K.
Same house would be $300-350K on PA side due to taxes. It doesn't really matter if someone pays into the taxes or into the mortgage. The total payments will still be like you just bought a $350K house.

Except in NJ there is less equity in the end, as the money is going into taxes, so it's a worse deal.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:32 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,354,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Aston would be a stretch, but I would definitely search Aston real estate.
cpomp and I always disagree on this topic. I would take Brookhaven over Aston which in my opinion has more dumpy--looking neighborhoods (and a couple of trailer parks) than Brookhaven. I work in Aston, Brookhaven and Parkside (which is the closest to Chester). Aston also has some high-end neighborhoods, but they're overpriced, IMO. And the traffic is insane. I prefer Brookhaven: much smaller, more quiet and the homes do move on the market. Also love driving through Swiss Farms for the best coffee around. I would say the best area to purchase in Brookhaven is West of Brookhaven Road, which is next to the lovely Middletown. Cambridge and Dutton Estates are quite nice, and you can probably stay within your budget with a bit of work or with a few thousand more.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:44 AM

9,384 posts, read 9,362,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
cpomp and I always disagree on this topic. I would take Brookhaven over Aston which in my opinion has more dumpy--looking neighborhoods (and a couple of trailer parks) than Brookhaven. I work in Aston, Brookhaven and Parkside (which is the closest to Chester). Aston also has some high-end neighborhoods, but they're overpriced, IMO. And the traffic is insane. I prefer Brookhaven: much smaller, more quiet and the homes do move on the market. Also love driving through Swiss Farms for the best coffee around. I would say the best area to purchase in Brookhaven is West of Brookhaven Road, which is next to the lovely Middletown. Cambridge and Dutton Estates are quite nice, and you can probably stay within your budget with a bit of work or with a few thousand more.
Yes we do

I just look at the bigger picture. Aston has dumpy neighborhoods, but overall is much more stable, since a good chunk of the town toward GV is higher end, and its further from Chester.

I do agree that the traffic is also horrible when I get off 95 and have to go up 452.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:10 AM

3,769 posts, read 4,113,348 times
For that amount of money, Brookhaven will give you your best value.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:38 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,408,150 times
How is Linwood for safety? Does the spillover from either Chester on one side or Claymont DE on the other make it scary?

Old 03-22-2015, 08:41 PM

9,384 posts, read 9,362,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
How is Linwood for safety? Does the spillover from either Chester on one side or Claymont DE on the other make it scary?
really... you say brookhaven is a dump (when its not) and your asking how is linwood...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia