Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 11:23 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,954,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Was the victim white?

Owens is an extremely racist, bitter, and rather vile person. He does not like white people and its shows. He will endorse and support anyone of color (even if they committed murder, the White case), yet anything to do with white people equates to racism, they could be the a wonderful activist in the Philadelphia gay community and they will either be ignore or claimed a racist by Owens.

He has attacked the extremely kind and hardworking owners of Valanni restaurant accusing them of racism. He attacked Aunt Mary Pat (drag performer) accusing him of racism, he has to release an emotional video shaming Owens for his disgraceful behavior. I could go on an on about that guy.

What I find funny / ironic is that Owens is sooo desperate to break into the elite society of Philadelphia (CEOs, socialites, Kimmel Gala, etc.) yet he produces daily garbage essentially saying white people suck.

It is a shame Philly Mag gives someone like him a job.

I know MSE will defend him a bit, but there is really no defense for a person like that. He will deliberately ignore this story because the victim is white and the perps were likely non-white. Flip the scrip and you will get a long sad narrative about how white people are evil and somehow turn it into a sob story about how hard his life is as a black man.

I don't mean to offend anyone on here who is black or white, my angry sentiments on this topic are geared solely at Ernest Owens.
Owens can wear a few ''outrage hats'': gay male, black gay male, just plain 'ole gay, just black, a black male, so he can pick and choose his outrage from lots of judgment thrones.

As long as the aggressive or perceived aggressive behavior is done by whites, and the target/victim is not white, Owens will pick his ''outrage hat''. If it's a white male, forgetta 'bout it. Toast. But that's the whole point of this ''retribution is a b*tch'' agenda.

Meanwhile, Owens is all over the phony and getting really crazy Jussie Smollette nonsense going on in Chicago and, of course, the ''white on black'' narrative, with a side of Trump & MAGA'' is a worldwide story. Like lemmings, celebrities, SJWs, and even the male version of Obama, Kamala Harris, chimed in without knowing any facts.

It's so obvious what's going on. Unfortunately it's not limited to Ernest Owens.

Last edited by Kamms; 01-31-2019 at 12:43 PM..

Old 01-31-2019, 12:57 PM

9,386 posts, read 9,368,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Owens can wear a few ''outrage hats'': gay male, black gay male, just plain 'ole gay, just black, a black male, so he can pick and choose his outrage from lots of judgment thrones.

As long as the aggressive or perceived aggressive behavior is done by whites, and the target/victim is not white, Owens will pick his ''outrage hat''. If it's a white male, forgetta 'bout it. Toast. But that's the whole point of this ''retribution is a b*tch'' agenda.

Meanwhile, Owens is all over the phony and getting really crazy Jussie Smollette nonsense going on in Chicago and, of course, the ''white on black'' narrative, with a side of Trump & MAGA'' is a worldwide story. Like lemmings, celebrities, SJWs, and even the male version of Obama, Kamala Harris, chimed in without knowing any facts.

It's so obvious what's going on. Unfortunately it's not limited to Ernest Owens.
That goes back to my point of the far left and far right are one and the same. Ernest is no better than the racist bible nuts you may encounter Arkansas.

He perpetrually ignores any positives of the world / gay community (especially with regard to white people), but victimizes himself and any other person of color in every situation of life.

It does upset, but I have learned to accept those people for who they chose to be, because you cannot change them.

I do wish however, that he would do fair reporting on crimes against the LGBT community in his home city of Philadelphia. That poor man who was attacked will get no mention or sympathy from Ernest simply because he is white...

A positive is that pretty much the entire gay community of Philadelphia has long banished him because of his divisive and bitter antics.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:36 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,778,354 times
Quote:
So far Philly mag LGBTQ editor Ernest Owens hasn’t commented on the local gay bashing attacks in his own city, in the heart of the gayborhood nonetheless.

Owens is, of course, all over the black and gay actor Jussie Smallette’s alleged racial and homophobic attack in chicago. The narrative of which is getting beyond sketchy; but this narrative is way better than phillys open, obvious, and deliberate attacks; 2 masked white men attack Smallette using racial and homophobic slurs, place a “noose” around his neck, pour bleach on him, oh, and later the best hot button fact of all was added: the 2 masked white males were wearing MAGA hats and said “this is MAGA country”. All at 2:00 am on lower east water street, a desolate area, beneath street level in -0 below zero weather. Of course the reaction is immediate from celebrities to all the usual suspect politicians.

BTW, no witnesses, no video, no pics so far (other this Jussie dude alone at a subway shop), unlike the no big deal cases in Philly where there were numerous street witnesses, there has to be some video of this as well.

Meanwhile Owens is silent on the very real attacks in his own community. Why? What could it be?
Smallette was, supposedly, talking on his phone when it happened. So that will probably be evidentiary.

Owens is reverse racist and hypocrit. Does anyone actually care what he says?

Old 01-31-2019, 04:03 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,778,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
One minor correction here:

We've sunsetted our LGBTQ channel, which joins "Shoppist," "Ticket" and the hugely popular "Birds 24/7" in the land of the permanently archived.

Owens is now a Writer at Large.

One of the things that gave me some insight into him was a personal essay that ran in the October 2017 print issue.

After that, I told some of my closer confidants that "Ernest Owens has some Donald Trump in him."

He was a very bright kid in a public high school in Houston that the elite white kids dismissed and looked down upon. He was certainly their intellectual equal, but he got no respect from the upper crust.

(This mirrors stories I've read about Trump and the New York social elite, hence the parallel.)

And I think this explains the chip on his shoulder.

I lucked out. I had a mother who flung me into the white world hard. They had to deal with me on their turf.
Well, boo hoo, so he had a tough time in high school. What a crybaby!

Wonder how he would have managed in the mid-60s when I was in high school when it was common to make fun of nerdy kids like me who liked classical music, history or had a head for science. It was worse back then because no one did anything about taunts, heavy teasing and bulling since lots of adults thought it was normal. But, if you have enough self-esteem(probably one of his problems) you can jettison all of that in time.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Smallette was, supposedly, talking on his phone when it happened. So that will probably be evidentiary.

Owens is reverse racist and hypocrit. Does anyone actually care what he says?
Smollette was on the phone now since his original the story fell apart. Smollette won't turn his phone over for a look-see. Wonder why?

It's his agent now claiming to have been on phone with Smollette during the "MAGA attackers'. Total disgrace the media and political manipulators ran with it without any fact-finding or verification.

As long as white people, especially whites males are perceived as the aggressors against blacks, hispancis, asians, native americans etc.....it's a worldwide breaking news story. Hate crimes against gays in Center City by African Americans, silence.

It's weekly doses of this nonsense, but that's the point of it all. Retaliate and take-out white people, especially white males.

The fact that Philly Mag even associates itself with Owens is beyond comprehension.

The media is a total sham. Trump's right about that.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:

Wonder how he would have managed in the mid-60s when I was in high school when it was common to make fun of nerdy kids like me who liked classical music, history or had a head for science. It was worse back then because no one did anything about taunts, heavy teasing and bulling since lots of adults thought it was normal. But, if you have enough self-esteem(probably one of his problems) you can jettison all of that in time.
That's what I was thinking. Ernest Owens couldn't fit into with the ''white elites''? Very few do or even want to. I don't get this whole ''elites'' thing at all.

Most people get dismissed by the ''elites'' of any group. This is not unique to African-Americans. Owens has an Ivy League degree and he's carrying a chip on his shoulder about white elites dismissing him in high school? Same thing happened to me. That's why they're called ''elites'', there aren't many of them and admission is not easy.

Ownes claim to have had a ''tough childhood'', he's had a long one as well. Seriously, his beef and claim about his childhood being tough is this high school white elites nonsense?

This is all so ridiculous.

Last edited by Kamms; 01-31-2019 at 05:27 PM..

Old 01-31-2019, 07:31 PM

14,244 posts, read 9,132,787 times
Quote:

One minor note: It probably doesn't make much of a difference, but he didn't go to school with those elite white kids. Like most African-Americans, he was schooled in that parallel, separate-but-not-really-equal society most of us grow up in.

He's more sensitive about it, but I know that this sort of thing rankles many other smart black folk.

Which is why I plan to be on hand in Cambridge when Harvard plays Howard in football this coming fall, btw. Game plan as of now is I will head up there with a Howard alum who runs a very inventive social impact development firm.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
One minor note: It probably doesn't make much of a difference, but he didn't go to school with those elite white kids. Like most African-Americans, he was schooled in that parallel, separate-but-not-really-equal society most of us grow up in.

He's more sensitive about it, but I know that this sort of thing rankles many other smart black folk.

Which is why I plan to be on hand in Cambridge when Harvard plays Howard in football this coming fall, btw. Game plan as of now is I will head up there with a Howard alum who runs a very inventive social impact development firm.
You need to rationalize and excuse Owens awful, immature, and unprofessional behavior by mentioning the whole ''separate but not really equal society'' throwback trigger phrase. Excuses.

Owens has a degree from U of Penn, an ivy league school and you're passing off this angry 1930s Jim Crow story for him about the ''white school elites.'' Didn't Owens graduate high school in the early 2010s? Please.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:49 PM

14,244 posts, read 9,132,787 times
Quote:
You need to rationalize and excuse Owens awful, immature, and unprofessional behavior by mentioning the whole ''separate but not really equal society'' throwback trigger phrase. Excuses.

Owens has a degree from U of Penn, an ivy league school and you're passing off this angry 1930s Jim Crow story for him about the ''white school elites.'' Didn't Owens graduate high school in the early 2010s? Please.
We've come a long way, but not as far as you think. And in some ways, Jim Crow simply moved underground. Read up on the history of housing policy in this country, and you should soon discover that for all the progress we've made on many fronts, we still build on a foundation of segregation.

And remember who I compared Owens to above. That guy grew up in privilege and had the same resentments. Sometimes, it's really personal. My bringing up the separate-but-not-wholly-equal society simply gives a frame of reference for where those seeds were able to sprout. (And many who were born and raised in it - and who live in it still - interact with the white society routinely.)

And don't you dare tell me it doesn't exist. I see it whenever I go back home. My cousins on my Mom's side of the family live in it. This city is actually different in a way in that there's a patchwork-quilt quality to residential segregation here, not to mention several polyglot neighborhoods.

Ever read Elijah Anderson's "The Cosmopolitan Canopy"? I especially recommend the last three chapters of that book to you. The Reading Terminal Market (the aforementioned "canopy") and The Gallery were two of his primary loci of research, but he also spent some time among middle- and upper-middle-class blacks in professional positions working in offices around West Market Street and Rittenhouse Square. Their experiences inform those last three chapters.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:03 AM

938 posts, read 447,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Anyways back to that crime. That is truly sad and disturbing that hate crimes like this happen at all, but also that they are happening in a city like Philadelphia in what should be a safe and welcoming neighborhood. I hope they catch these a**h**** and lock them up for a long time.

The bartender (Josh) who witnessed the attic is well known in the community, I knew him when I lived in Philadelphia, so its scary that the victim could literally be anyone.
Now Josh is a well-known liar:

https://6abc.com/witness-to-center-c...ement/5111813/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia