Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 02:21 PM

6 posts, read 9,345 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a twenty-something married gal looking to move to Philadelphia and am wondering what kind of acting scene the area has? I have read that it has a lot of theater work and with such proximity to NY, I can imagine many venture there for certain projects. The problem is I am originally from Ohio and crave the quaint town feel- with shopping, eating, grocery, farmer's markets. To give you an idea, I grew up in a town of 7000 people and went to college in a town of 30,000 people (Kent State University). I now live in Raleigh, NC and am not really a fan of the heavy traffic, bugs, and humidity. I want to move back up north and live in a smaller, safe area 20 minutes outside of the city. Does a nice place like this exist? I have done hours of research online and am planning a visit. Places I've heard are nice are Chestnut Hill and Manayuck. What do you recommend? Thank you for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 03:06 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,776,939 times
To start google Narberth, PA, Media, PA and Glenside, PA all close in suburbs about 20 minutes out but not close to each other. I think they all have the flavor you describe more than Chestnut Hill or Manayunk. Both those places are worth a look but they may be too crowded and too sophisticated for your needs.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:59 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
It should also be mentioned that Chestnut Hill and Manayunk are both neighborhoods within Philadelphia, and not outside of the city.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
If you are an aspiring actress looking to work in Philadelphia, you are going to want to live in Philadelphia, not in the suburbs. Chestnut Hill is a suburban town within the city limits. It is on the outer limits of the city near Montco. I would look there. Manayunk will be more congested and city like with rowhomes. Another area you can check out is Mt. Airy. From these areas you can take the regional rail into Center City in 20 minutes.

Most of the acting jobs will be theater... and that will probably be a good place for you to start. You can also try getting in touch with some of the media outlets in the area (ABC, Comcast/NBC, WHYY) and see what is going on. Comcast owns NBC/Universal, so try getting in contact with them.

Also, the Greater Philadelphia Film Office (GPFO) is a great place to get in contact with... they have constant job opening for films shooting in the area. Home

Also, keep up with following posts on craigslist for those searching for actors. It's good to build up contacts, and some actually pay
philadelphia tv/film/video/radio jobs classifieds - craigslist

Again, your social life and all your contacts will be in the city, so it will be a good idea to live close to Center City.

Aside from Chestnut Hill and Mt Airy, you can also try the University City area of West Philadelphia. The Spruce Hill neighborhood in particular is suburban like and will be a 5 minute trolley or subway ride to Center City. While some streets can get congested, like Baltimore Ave, the other streets will be quiet.

Hope this helped

Old 01-02-2013, 09:30 PM

4,514 posts, read 4,040,229 times
A smaller, no heavy traffic area outside the city only 20 minutes away? I'm not sure you can even get out of the city in 20 minutes let alone find a place 20 minutes from it's edges that is small without heavy traffic.

Good news though Philly itself can be seen as having a small town feel and plenty of it is more then safe. Philly and it's area is very big on farmers markets etc. This is pennsylvania... home of the capital of the amish.

The vast suburbs of Philly can have a feel of a city of small towns though. You really have to live here to know how much this area offers.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:36 PM

4,514 posts, read 4,040,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Aside from Chestnut Hill and Mt Airy, you can also try the University City area of West Philadelphia. The Spruce Hill neighborhood in particular is suburban like and will be a 5 minute trolley or subway ride to Center City. While some streets can get congested, like Baltimore Ave, the other streets will be quiet.
I agree with University City... Closest thing to a suburb right beside center city and insanely gorgeous and awkwardly cheap.

As an actor I don't think you want the influences of a small town on you though and if you move outside the city you'll regret and move in it anyways.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:31 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcoconut444 View Post
Hello,
crave the quaint town feel- with shopping, eating, grocery, farmer's markets.
That describes a lot of neighborhoods in Philly.

I have a quite a few friends/neighbors who are actors or otherwise involved in (mostly) stage productions. You definitely want to be in the city. Part of getting regular work is being connected and that scene is very much in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia