Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 06:24 PM

165 posts, read 279,038 times

Advertisements

This city has very limited retail brands in the whole city. There's only one department store(Macy) to speak of. There's no Nordstrom, Sak Fifth Ave, Neimus Marcus, JC Penny, Bloomingdale and no nothing in the city of Philadelphia. There's no Obligo, whateve the new Japanese store is spelled no Scotch and so many other store brands. Don't forget Muji, too. In other words, IT NEEDS MORE RETAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 07:19 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,772,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
I wish Boscov's would open somewhere downtown.

God forbid I say something negative on here, but Center City needs more retail clothing stores that are for people over 35. A majority of those opening sell clothes that are for the 20's to 30's demographic. Bloomingdales is nice but they are expensive.

That Cheesecake Factory is going to look horrendous. Glass ugliness among the older buildings on Walnut.........ugh.
Doubt Boscov's will open. That store will be out of business in a few years. Bloomingdale's is currently looking for space.

The building for the Cheesecake Factory is absolutely beautiful design.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:38 AM

802 posts, read 1,326,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sour cream View Post
This city has very limited retail brands in the whole city. There's only one department store(Macy) to speak of. There's no Nordstrom, Sak Fifth Ave, Neimus Marcus, JC Penny, Bloomingdale and no nothing in the city of Philadelphia. There's no Obligo, whateve the new Japanese store is spelled no Scotch and so many other store brands. Don't forget Muji, too. In other words, IT NEEDS MORE RETAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Penney used to be in The Gallery but they left years ago. Macy's is hit or miss with me...mostly miss. Nordstrom tends to go in suburban malls. I am looking forward to when Nordstram Rack opens though. Bloomies I don't know much about. I've only been to the one in KOP once.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:30 AM

175 posts, read 289,705 times
Soo, happy a Nordstrom rack is opening. Im from LA and moving to Philly, I know here in So Cal we are spoiled for shopping. but I would suffer withdrawal pangs without a Nordstrom Rack!! One question, though not strictly retail, here in LA we have alot of GOOD goodwills ( ie high end stuff in the stores) are there any good goodwills or other types of charity shops in Philadelphia?

Old 11-25-2013, 03:35 PM

9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
Quote:
I wish Boscov's would open somewhere downtown.

God forbid I say something negative on here, but Center City needs more retail clothing stores that are for people over 35. A majority of those opening sell clothes that are for the 20's to 30's demographic. Bloomingdales is nice but they are expensive.

That Cheesecake Factory is going to look horrendous. Glass ugliness among the older buildings on Walnut.........ugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Doubt Boscov's will open. That store will be out of business in a few years. Bloomingdale's is currently looking for space.

Boscovs escaped bankruptcy about 5 years back, and it actually performing well as a small chain department store, so my hope is that they do make. It is an affordable store that offers good merchandise for people..there really are not that many options left when it comes to department stores.

And I agree with the new building on Walnut, love the glass facade, and a great space for some new retail tenants.. waiting for construction to begin!
The building for the Cheesecake Factory is absolutely beautiful design.

Quote:
Penney used to be in The Gallery but they left years ago. Macy's is hit or miss with me...mostly miss. Nordstrom tends to go in suburban malls. I am looking forward to when Nordstram Rack opens though. Bloomies I don't know much about. I've only been to the one in KOP once.
Nordstrom will never open a city department, and if they did Philadelphia would not be on their list. Bloomingdales is very similar to Saks Fifth Avenue, slightly more affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylistvg View Post
Soo, happy a Nordstrom rack is opening. Im from LA and moving to Philly, I know here in So Cal we are spoiled for shopping. but I would suffer withdrawal pangs without a Nordstrom Rack!! One question, though not strictly retail, here in LA we have alot of GOOD goodwills ( ie high end stuff in the stores) are there any good goodwills or other types of charity shops in Philadelphia?
Personally I do not think you are going to find much high end merchandise at the Philadelphia good wills..but there are quite a few consignment shops in the city where you can find some nice things.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:48 PM

802 posts, read 1,326,719 times
This is interesting. I just read on another message board that the lease for Burlington Coat Factory in The Gallery will be up in 2014. Hopefully they can get a quality retailer in that space. The Gallery definitely needs a boost.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylistvg View Post
Soo, happy a Nordstrom rack is opening. Im from LA and moving to Philly, I know here in So Cal we are spoiled for shopping. but I would suffer withdrawal pangs without a Nordstrom Rack!!
You will also find King of Prussia to be one of the greatest malls in the country. You will have no problem finding what you want there. Willow Grove and Cherry Hill malls are also great.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
When landlord Morris Jerome inked a deal for a Nordstrom Rack at the old Daffy's on Chestnut Street, he was quick to say that the lease would potentially pack a bigger punch than just a sizable rent check.

The Rack, to occupy four floors of a marquee building in the heart of burgeoning Center City next fall, would attract other big-name retailers, and further corrode the once-ironclad notion that downtown Philadelphia was too dowdy to interest fancy brands.
Quote:
Flocking to downtown's core in the past year were tenants such as Theory, Madewell, and Ulta, while Nordstrom Rack is due to open next year, and the Barneys Co-Op on Rittenhouse Square will be converted into a Barneys New York in 2014.
Quote:
Famous, who represents Nordstrom Rack and other retailers locally, said one supermarket client has asked him to find a Center City location for a 70,000-square-foot store. He also is representing a movie-theater chain and other retailers in talks to sign leases as part of the planned renovation of The Gallery at Market East.
High style puts its brands on Center City

Old 12-06-2013, 11:25 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,261,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
You will also find King of Prussia to be one of the greatest malls in the country.

More Retail for KOP . 200,000 sq feet Town center to be built next to Wegmans. Will be known as the King of Prussia Town Center. DC area developer.

Its amazing how much retail is out that way. Between KOP,Plymouth Meeting,The Philadelphia Outlets in Limerick. A Shoppers heaven out that way which makes Center Citys job all the more tougher from a retail aspect.

Maryland developer to buy 20 acres in KoP for lifestyle center - Philadelphia Business Journal

Old 12-07-2013, 08:30 AM

9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
More Retail for KOP . 200,000 sq feet Town center to be built next to Wegmans. Will be known as the King of Prussia Town Center. DC area developer.

Its amazing how much retail is out that way. Between KOP,Plymouth Meeting,The Philadelphia Outlets in Limerick. A Shoppers heaven out that way which makes Center Citys job all the more tougher from a retail aspect.

Maryland developer to buy 20 acres in KoP for lifestyle center - Philadelphia Business Journal
Out that way the other day, I just do not see what there is left to add and support! Every store in existence from big box to top designers in that 15 miles radius. So much congestion.

However, Philadelphia is slowly proving it can handle itself as a retail giant too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia