Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:27 PM

36 posts, read 106,341 times

Advertisements

Realize this topic is nothing new. Just want information from anyone who may have experienced travelling back and forth from UPENN. Not looking for judgements on what state is better. Information on easiest commutes, Towns on both sides. Anything would be helpful..... Want what we all want. Great schools, Safe(relatively), A place to raise a family.... Should mention have two kids, 7 and 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 04:16 AM

212 posts, read 610,467 times
What is your housing budget and do you intend to drive, take public transportation, or whatever is fastest/cheapest?

Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,299 times
The easiest suburban commute to UPenn would be from the close-in Delaware County suburbs like Upper Darby, Lansdowne, etc. Unfortunately most of those towns are very close to inner-city West Philly and have the same problems with crime. Drexel Hill (part of Upper Darby) has some very nice parts but it is my understanding once your kids reach HS, the public schools in Upper Darby have issues. The nicer PA areas on the Main Line or places like Springfield and Media are a further commute. Places like Villanova and Wayne are very expensive and have very good schools, but commuting on the Schuylkill Expressway or down Lancaster Avenue is a nightmare. Keep in mind there is regional rail connecting most of these areas to UPenn, so that may be an option.

Really the easiest suburban commute would be places across the bridge in NJ like Haddon Township and Audubon because you can be across the Walt Whitman Bridge and in University City in 15 minutes. I commute from Gloucester Township and it takes only 20 to 25 minutes. The houses are cheaper in NJ but taxes are usually higher (though not by much). The bridge toll ($5 one way) does add up. You could also look at Cherry Hill and Voorhees. I think NJ is overall easier for commuting into Center City or University City, but you do lose the hilly landscape in PA.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:48 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
In Pa. I would recommend looking into this towns/areas..

Swarthmore,Media,Nether Providence,Upper Providence, Middletown Township, Garnet Valley,Concord,Glen Mills,Newtown Square.

Main Line towns a bit costlier. Merion,Narberth,Ardmore,Bryn Mawr, Haverford,Wayne, Malvern

Good luck

Last edited by rainrock; 09-28-2011 at 02:08 PM..

Old 09-28-2011, 01:46 PM

434 posts, read 1,312,687 times
I suggest you look along the Media/Elwyn regional rail train line (formerly the R3) in Delaware County. This line has a stop at University City (31st & South Streets), which is on the Penn campus. I know several people who do this commute...

Both the Wallingford-Swarthmore school district (R3 stops at Swarthmore, Wallingford, Moylan/RoseValley) and the Media-RoseTree school district (R3 stop at Media) are highly regarded. It would take you 20-25 minutes on the train to Penn.

Another option from this area would be to commute on the Route 101 trolley, which you'd take to the 69th street terminal, then subway to campus. This usually takes longer, but it's more economical.

Also, the area is very safe. There are many family-friendly activities in the area and it's a great place to raise a family.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:15 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
I suggest you look along the Media/Elwyn regional rail train line (formerly the R3) in Delaware County. This line has a stop at University City (31st & South Streets), which is on the Penn campus. I know several people who do this commute...
Yes the Media-Elwyn Line would be a greart starting point and quick public access into University Penn. Nether Providence,Swarthmore,Media,Rose Valley,Upper Providence is a wonderful area to raise a family.

I think the whole its easier to get into the City from Jersey rather than the Pa suburbs is greatly exaggerated.

Depending exactly where you live you could walk to 1 of 5-6 train stations in that area and be in Center City in 25 minutes. If you had to drive its an easy 1/2 hour commute via 476- I 95.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Threads View Post
What is your housing budget and do you intend to drive, take public transportation, or whatever is fastest/cheapest?

Fastest and cheapest!!! May need to rent at first, being new to area.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:41 PM

212 posts, read 610,467 times
I'd find someplace in the Lower Merion school district. You should be able to find yourself something on the SEPTA Regional Rail Line or you may even find something on a bus line. You'll get great schools, a decent commute and decent rental properties to chose from. If and when you decide to buy, although you may not find something in the same elementary school catchment area, you will at least be in the same district, giving continuity to your child(ren)s education.

If you're up to driving (your bridge toll will be equivalent to your transit fare but you'll probably have to pay for parking in most cases), I'd look into New Jersey just over the Walt Whitman bridge; Oaklyn, Audubon, Collingswood, Haddon Township would have good rental opportunities as well as good elementary education.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:18 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost4now View Post
Fastest and cheapest!!! May need to rent at first, being new to area.
information like this helps no one. how do you expect people to help you with such lack of specifics. You say you want something that is safe, has good schools, is a fast commute, that's all well and good, but guess what? A LOT of people want those things... that's why it's EXPENSIVE to live there.

now you claim you just want fastest and cheapest? fine. move to darby,pa. You could probably rent a place suitable for a 4 person family for $350 a month. You're a short trolley ride from university city. That would be the fast and cheapest suburb.

is it safe? no. but without solid parameters of what you want, how do you expect people to help you?

Old 09-29-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
information like this helps no one. how do you expect people to help you with such lack of specifics. You say you want something that is safe, has good schools, is a fast commute, that's all well and good, but guess what? A LOT of people want those things... that's why it's EXPENSIVE to live there.

now you claim you just want fastest and cheapest? fine. move to darby,pa. You could probably rent a place suitable for a 4 person family for $350 a month. You're a short trolley ride from university city. That would be the fast and cheapest suburb.

is it safe? no. but without solid parameters of what you want, how do you expect people to help you?

It's hard to give solid parameters to an area I know nothing about. That why I kept it general. If you don't mind me asking, what parameters should I consider?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia