Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 02:13 PM

9,399 posts, read 13,054,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I said in a previous post, there are Buppies in these neighborhoods, but these are not Buppie neighborhoods.

Where the heck is "Wynnefield Heights?"
Why wouldn't Wynnefield qualify? It's now plurality (if not majority) black, affluent (in significant part), and is home to many of the city's African American movers and shakers. It's a bit socioeconomically divided, sure, but people from Chaka Fattah to Michael Nutter to Wilson Goode don't live in stately mansions there for nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 02:55 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,729,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I said in a previous post, there are Buppies in these neighborhoods, but these are not Buppie neighborhoods. I was thinking over the weekend that Willingboro, NJ might qualify, although I don't know how that suburb is these days. When I was young, upwardly mobile Blacks used to head that way.

Where the heck is "Wynnefield Heights?"
Wynnefield Heights is the neighborhood just north of Wynnefield wedged between Fairmount Park, City Ave/Bala Cynwyd and the Schuylkill River/I-76. The neighborhood is mostly upper/upper middle class African Americans

West Philadelphia Neighborhood Map - Google Maps

Old 11-05-2012, 04:25 PM

640 posts, read 1,298,149 times
Default Black Exodus

Here is a great article on the black flight in Philadelphia to the inner ring suburbs??

Black Exodus: Part One - Metropolis

Somerton had the highest percentage in the city surprising.And yes we know that the inner ring suburbs have seen increasing numbers.

The question is did the outer ring suburbs see the increasing numbers of African Americans and did these African Americans move into middle class neighborhoods together as a group?? Like they have done in other cities??

We know they moved out of the city into suburbs but where??? Bucks county? Montgomery county?? Chester county?? Burlington or Willingboro,New jersey??

Old 11-05-2012, 06:09 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,663,421 times
Also, it's not indicated if the blacks who migrated to the burbs in the second diagram are upper, middle or lower class.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Also, it's not indicated if the blacks who migrated to the burbs in the second diagram are upper, middle or lower class.
That can both be inferred by where they're going and directly found by accessing Census data. Depending on how we define "upper class," from what I know, Lower Merion and Cheltenham probably have the highest concentrations, probably followed by Abington and Springfield.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,663,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
That can both be inferred by where they're going and directly found by accessing Census data. Depending on how we define "upper class," from what I know, Lower Merion and Cheltenham probably have the highest concentrations, probably followed by Abington and Springfield.
I guess what I'm saying is that the first diagram is showing where (specifically defined) middle class black families in Philadelphia are located in the greatest concentrations.

While the second diagram(table) is showing suburbs that blacks moved to recently, which in the absence of additional data/analysis/inside knowledge does not tell you very much at all. First, it doesn't make any initial distinction between the suburbs themselves, and second it doesn't address any change (or lack of change) brought about by the migration. eg: how did the influx of these newcomers into a given area affect the demographics of that area? If I am poor, and I move into an inexpensive part of a middle class township, does that make me middle class, or does it just alter the mean/median income of that township? etc etc..

Just speaking in terms of being relevant to this thread, not the quality of the article itself, btw.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:00 AM

225 posts, read 395,796 times
"But that the question why wasn't there a Big Migration by Middle class blacks out of Philadelphia to the outer suburbs??"

Much of the black middle class work for the City of Philadelphia and by city charter cannot live outside of the city.

Those blacks who do not work for city government have to option to leave and often times do. While I did not work for the city and could afford to live in the burbs I saw no advantage of making that move since everything that I wanted was here in the city. I just choose to not live in a majority black neighborhood.

"Ever Heard of black flight??
Black flight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Black Flight is just like White Flight........Young professionals and Families moving to the outer suburbs for less crime,better schools,good jobs,and better and newer housing.Black families desire the same things as other families.

This has been happening in cities all over the country since the 1990 as the black middle class grows.

Why this hasn't happen in Philadelphia a city with over 1 million African Americans in the metro is a bit ODD??? Philadelphia probably also has one of the older African American populations in the country as well. Generations after Generations."

See my response above. A lot don't move because they are mandated to stay in the city.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:43 AM

640 posts, read 1,298,149 times
"Those blacks who do not work for city government have to option to leave and often times do. While I did not work for the city and could afford to live in the burbs I saw no advantage of making that move since everything that I wanted was here in the city. I just choose to not live in a majority black neighborhood. "

I dont think this theory is correct. Because even if 40 percent of the black middle class worked for philadelphia city government which is a really high number....I think studies have shown the number to be around 20-25 percent of african americans working for government at all levels.

So that means that around 75 percent of the African american middle class is free to move where ever they wanted to.

Why they choose the inner ring suburbs instead of the outer ring suburbs is the question???

Its seems Yuppie Young white professionals either move to center city or move to the outer ring suburbs.

Black young professional families move to the inner ring suburbs.

Philadelphia is unique because young black professional families haven't moved to the outer suburbs to take advantage of the same things other young families seek....good housing,school and low crime.

In other cities we see the Buppies move out to the outer ring suburbs in MASS numbers. Prince George County DC is a good example of this.

I gotta do more research and find out why Philadelphia is unique??

Old 11-06-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
"Those blacks who do not work for city government have to option to leave and often times do. While I did not work for the city and could afford to live in the burbs I saw no advantage of making that move since everything that I wanted was here in the city. I just choose to not live in a majority black neighborhood. "

I dont think this theory is correct. Because even if 40 percent of the black middle class worked for philadelphia city government which is a really high number....I think studies have shown the number to be around 20-25 percent of african americans working for government at all levels.

So that means that around 75 percent of the African american middle class is free to move where ever they wanted to.

Why they choose the inner ring suburbs instead of the outer ring suburbs is the question???

Its seems Yuppie Young white professionals either move to center city or move to the outer ring suburbs.

Black young professional families move to the inner ring suburbs.

Philadelphia is unique because young black professional families haven't moved to the outer suburbs to take advantage of the same things other young families seek....good housing,school and low crime.

In other cities we see the Buppies move out to the outer ring suburbs in MASS numbers. Prince George County DC is a good example of this.

I gotta do more research and find out why Philadelphia is unique??
Unlike suburban Philadelphia, which is mostly split up into small independent school districts (the vast majority of which were never subject to judicial oversight--even the most racially/socioeconomically homogeneous ones), Prince George's County's single united school district was subject to a longstanding mandatory bussing order, which drove down property values as white families fled en masse, the critical spark which made the outer suburbs of PG county into the Buppie haven it is today. One need not be super-wealthy to comfortably live in Ardmore, Oreland, Wyncote, etc. D.C.'s inner suburbs, by contrast, offer much less in the way of "affordable happy medium" between "desirable but expensive" enclaves like Bethesda and "cheap but dicey" towns like Hyattsville. Silver Spring is an exception (which I believe has a considerable Buppie population itself), but portions of that town are starting to turn as well. People generally don't withstand large commutes just for kicks; they live where they can afford the lifestyle they desire.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 11-06-2012 at 10:55 AM..

Old 11-06-2012, 02:25 PM

8,987 posts, read 21,205,467 times
Aimewitue, the figures for Somerton and Fox Chase/Burlhome are fascinating. I never would have thought that was happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia