Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2018, 07:40 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times

Advertisements

Some Philadelphia news with my commentary...

Philly to consider new class of officer to fight Center City gridlock

I like the idea of traffic police in CC, but kind of ironic that the same man who wants to increase parking minimums for new developments is complaining about the increasing traffic problem in the city.

Affordable-housing developers struggle to stay one step ahead of gentrification in Philadelphia | Inga Saffron

I love the factory re-use and providing workforce housing about 25% below market rate, but again (I sound like a broken record) what is the obsession with low income housing and using gentrification in a negative context?

The neighborhoods Inga focused on (Kensington going North) are nothing short of a wasteland, and now development is trickling in and there is a cry of gentrification and the need for affordable housing?

1) Philadelphia is largely affordable (I have said this at least 100 times on here)
2) How does building mass amounts of of low income housing help the cities poverty crisis? It doesn't in my mind?

Just to clarify, I am not bashing this developer, this is a fantastic project targeting an ignored segment of the market, Inga just adds some unnecessary and rather dramatic commentary about this drastic change sweeping through Philadelphia (I am being sarcastic about the drastic change). Similar to the Mt Airy situation where people claim an Aldi is a sign of "aggressive gentrification".........

I think she should stick with writing critiques about buildings and not get involved in politics.

Robert Venturi, 93, Philadelphia architect who led the rebellion against modernism

Good read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 08:08 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
My wife had a dragonboat race a couple weeks ago at the newly built Wharf District in DC. It was a quiet, deactivated area with just a fish market as of a couple years ago. It had been re-zoned since and the new towers lining the waterfront were impressive. Hotels with upscale restaurants as first-floor tenants were in most of the buildings. Parking was built underground. There is also a water taxi service to take you to the Alexandria side from there. Overall, there were a lot of people out (jogging, coffee, with baby strollers), similar demographics to our gentrified areas.

Here is a picture from google of how it turned out: https://goo.gl/maps/6UUhN8MtdvL2

This is totally the way I would like the Delaware waterfront to be. It would be an excellent example to follow.
I think that's a great example, too (DC's come quite a long way!). My only nitpick is that the growth could be a little more organic/spread out over time to allow for a mix of architecture and feel, which I think would happen in Philly anyway only by virtue of being a slower-growth city generally.

I've always loved this conceptual rendering put out by the DRWC, which if it reality bears it out, would be EXACTLY what Philly needs in form/function and a direct waterfront connection with a corridor like Spring Garden Street:

PlanPhilly | Long-term blueprint for the Central Delaware Waterfront adopted, heading to planning commission

Old 09-20-2018, 08:35 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
While the site could've supported some more density, I certainly prefer a townhome-fronted waterfront as opposed to a Miami-esque highrise waterfront. That would definitely ruin the vibe for everyone else who isn't lucky/well-endowed enough to have a unit.
<snicker>

(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

Old 09-20-2018, 09:11 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Some Philadelphia news with my commentary...

Philly to consider new class of officer to fight Center City gridlock

I like the idea of traffic police in CC, but kind of ironic that the same man who wants to increase parking minimums for new developments is complaining about the increasing traffic problem in the city.

Affordable-housing developers struggle to stay one step ahead of gentrification in Philadelphia | Inga Saffron

I love the factory re-use and providing workforce housing about 25% below market rate, but again (I sound like a broken record) what is the obsession with low income housing and using gentrification in a negative context?

The neighborhoods Inga focused on (Kensington going North) are nothing short of a wasteland, and now development is trickling in and there is a cry of gentrification and the need for affordable housing?

1) Philadelphia is largely affordable (I have said this at least 100 times on here)
2) How does building mass amounts of of low income housing help the cities poverty crisis? It doesn't in my mind?

Just to clarify, I am not bashing this developer, this is a fantastic project targeting an ignored segment of the market, Inga just adds some unnecessary and rather dramatic commentary about this drastic change sweeping through Philadelphia (I am being sarcastic about the drastic change). Similar to the Mt Airy situation where people claim an Aldi is a sign of "aggressive gentrification".........

I think she should stick with writing critiques about buildings and not get involved in politics.

Robert Venturi, 93, Philadelphia architect who led the rebellion against modernism

Good read.
The term affordable housing doesn't mean low income housing. There are people who can't afford half a million dollars for housing but who can't qualify for low income housing. They have been ignored by builders for quite a while. It's a problem, nationwide.

I suspect that you haven't been in an Aldi recently. Aldi has unbelievable buying power, on a worldwide basis. The inventory is not aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Having a decent grocery option in Mt Airy will help with gentrification.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
<snicker>

(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)
LOL! Touche.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Not badgering you, just a general rant, but the fear of high-rises in this city still amazes me. There is no city that ever had a failed waterfront due to more high-rise construction. There is also a dramatic touch on Philadelphians views, either townhouses or Miami highrises, no inbetween...

What benefit would a townhouse filled water front have? It would be boring, ugly, sleepy and exclusive to those who live in the townhouses.

Mixed use developed (with mid/ highrises) MIXED with recreation style piers, (similar to Manhattans West Side) would bring a mix of renters, owners, hotel visitors, shoppers, sunbathers, jokers, bikers, kids, etc. to the riverfront.

I am not advocating for Comcast 3 on the water, but there is nothing wrong with building a a bunch of 10-30 story buildings along the water aligned in such a way that it would create an inviting and attractive landscape for everyone.
https://philly.curbed.com/2018/1/22/...delphia-digsau
The Digsau proposal is pretty fantastic, and I didn't mean to come off as wholesale against height.

I think a good middle-ground would be waterfront with a mix of building types. Like adding height to an extent that is noticeable in certain places but not overwhelming (almost like an extension of Center City itself), which (at least for now) does manage to have a nice spectrum of building heights. It's a difficult balance, but by no means impossible.

Last edited by Duderino; 09-20-2018 at 10:04 AM..

Old 09-20-2018, 11:58 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The term affordable housing doesn't mean low income housing. There are people who can't afford half a million dollars for housing but who can't qualify for low income housing. They have been ignored by builders for quite a while. It's a problem, nationwide.

I suspect that you haven't been in an Aldi recently. Aldi has unbelievable buying power, on a worldwide basis. The inventory is not aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Having a decent grocery option in Mt Airy will help with gentrification.
Let me rephrase since I might have been a little confusing. This particular developer in that article is a true affordable housing developer, providing slightly below market rate housing for working professionals (teachers, nurses, social workers, etc.) That is a fantastic use of affordable housing.

But in the eyes of certain city council members, affordable housing has become interchangeable with low income housing, and there has been this push/ obsession with that movement, and it makes no sense to me.

The real fight should be lowering poverty and creating industry, giving away houses does not alleviate or break the cycle, also, the land of $500k+ homes in Philadelphia is very limited to CC and surrounding, so again, I think people tend to inflate the "affordability" crisis in Philadelphia, when in my mind I see a poverty and lack of jobs crisis.

New York, San Fran, and soon DC have an affordability crisis, not Philadelphia.

With regard to the grocery store, even if it is a movement of gentrification, wouldn't you think residents would be happy to have a decent grocery store in close vicinity? The attitude and entitlement toward any growth or change is a little much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The Digsau proposal is pretty fantastic, and I didn't mean to come off as wholesale against height.

I think a good middle-ground would be waterfront with a mix of building types. Like adding height to an extent that is noticeable in certain places but not overwhelming (almost like an extension of Center City itself), which (at least for now) does manage to have a nice spectrum of building heights. It's a difficult balance, but by no means impossible.
I enjoy a balance as well, but I would 100% support Trumps project over townhouses. I also don't think the city will run into the issue of too many skyscrapers on the water since none have been built.

I am most looking forward to the capping 95.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:42 PM

288 posts, read 244,615 times
Quote:
Let me rephrase since I might have been a little confusing. This particular developer in that article is a true affordable housing developer, providing slightly below market rate housing for working professionals (teachers, nurses, social workers, etc.) That is a fantastic use of affordable housing.

But in the eyes of certain city council members, affordable housing has become interchangeable with low income housing, and there has been this push/ obsession with that movement, and it makes no sense to me.

The real fight should be lowering poverty and creating industry, giving away houses does not alleviate or break the cycle, also, the land of $500k+ homes in Philadelphia is very limited to CC and surrounding, so again, I think people tend to inflate the "affordability" crisis in Philadelphia, when in my mind I see a poverty and lack of jobs crisis.

I agree that creating industry and jobs are key, but what also needs to be done is to raise the minimum wage to make it actually liveable on. Inflation + wage stagnation is the result of this poverty and affordability crisis. Wages have NOT kept up with the cost of living, suppressing purchasing power and creating perpetual poverty. The minimum wage should at least track with inflation so that its value is not eroded over time.

It's no wonder there is an affordability crisis - people's wages are getting less and less while the cost of living (and cost of building more housing) goes up and up. Something's gotta give eventually.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:57 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:

With regard to the grocery store, even if it is a movement of gentrification, wouldn't you think residents would be happy to have a decent grocery store in close vicinity? The attitude and entitlement toward any growth or change is a little much.

I enjoy a balance as well, but I would 100% support Trumps project over townhouses. I also don't think the city will run into the issue of too many skyscrapers on the water since none have been built.

I am most looking forward to the capping 95.
This may seem off topic, but it isn't. Did you make the trip to Charlotte, or did you have to reschedule it? If you had to reschedule, try to make time to make a side trip to Gastonia. There's an Aldi & Lidl pairing there. There's also a Publix & a Harris Teeter not far away. The Aldi got a remodel last year, so it's not a brand new one. The Lidl was built last year. Granted, both are box stores, but if people in Mt Airy want to have a problem with getting an Aldi, I think that they're nuts.

As far as affordable housing goes, the overstock of housing in Philadelphia provides a chance for decent housing options for a lot of people, but since, over time, some people who want new housing stock will show up, they need to have some of that, too. Then there's the blue collar workers. . .they usually don't qualify for low income housing. They're being pushed out of most cities.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:33 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
I agree that creating industry and jobs are key, but what also needs to be done is to raise the minimum wage to make it actually liveable on. Inflation + wage stagnation is the result of this poverty and affordability crisis. Wages have NOT kept up with the cost of living, suppressing purchasing power and creating perpetual poverty. The minimum wage should at least track with inflation so that its value is not eroded over time.

It's no wonder there is an affordability crisis - people's wages are getting less and less while the cost of living (and cost of building more housing) goes up and up. Something's gotta give eventually.
That's part of the industry problem. Minimum wage was never intended to be something that you could support a family on. Raising wages to $15/hour for someone flipping McD's burgers isn't going to go well ultimately. Lower hours, more automation is likely to follow.

I'm with cpomp. Housing is not expensive in Philadelphia, except for a few pockets. We're better off bringing better jobs in to raise those up that live here, rather than trying to "fix" everything with the "housing hammer".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia