Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2018, 07:43 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
Yay! More townhomes...this time along the waterfront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 07:40 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Yay! More townhomes...this time along the waterfront.
They are pretty ugly.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I actually prefer Trumps plan over this ho-hum townhouse development, another wasted waterfront property.

I also don't like how the author is inserting his own anti-trump rhetoric into the article, when that really has nothing to do with the situation of the land.
Trump's tower was actually quite attractive looking.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:03 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
While the site could've supported some more density, I certainly prefer a townhome-fronted waterfront as opposed to a Miami-esque highrise waterfront. That would definitely ruin the vibe for everyone else who isn't lucky/well-endowed enough to have a unit.

Also, this is a good start to hopefully more ambitious projects--for so much talk and grandiose planning, no other waterfront residential development has made it past the proposal phase since before the Great Recession, which is pretty disappointing.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:20 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
My 2-cents is... I'd rather see east of Columbus Blvd. kept free from high-rises and town-housing, also kept more as recreational piers, jogging, bike paths, parks and docks. Then the west side more high-rises. Just a thought. I understand that most of the riverfront is already privately owned, and a couple newer high-rises coming right on the water.

To bad Trump's building didn't get built .... killed by the crash of 07 08. More high-rises might have occurred quicker if his was deemed a success.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:27 AM

288 posts, read 244,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
While the site could've supported some more density, I certainly prefer a townhome-fronted waterfront as opposed to a Miami-esque highrise waterfront. That would definitely ruin the vibe for everyone else who isn't lucky/well-endowed enough to have a unit.

Also, this is a good start to hopefully more ambitious projects--for so much talk and grandiose planning, no other waterfront residential development has made it past the proposal phase since before the Great Recession, which is pretty disappointing.
My wife had a dragonboat race a couple weeks ago at the newly built Wharf District in DC. It was a quiet, deactivated area with just a fish market as of a couple years ago. It had been re-zoned since and the new towers lining the waterfront were impressive. Hotels with upscale restaurants as first-floor tenants were in most of the buildings. Parking was built underground. There is also a water taxi service to take you to the Alexandria side from there. Overall, there were a lot of people out (jogging, coffee, with baby strollers), similar demographics to our gentrified areas.

Here is a picture from google of how it turned out: https://goo.gl/maps/6UUhN8MtdvL2

This is totally the way I would like the Delaware waterfront to be. It would be an excellent example to follow.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:04 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:

Not badgering you, just a general rant, but the fear of high-rises in this city still amazes me. There is no city that ever had a failed waterfront due to more high-rise construction. There is also a dramatic touch on Philadelphians views, either townhouses or Miami highrises, no inbetween...

What benefit would a townhouse filled water front have? It would be boring, ugly, sleepy and exclusive to those who live in the townhouses.

Mixed use developed (with mid/ highrises) MIXED with recreation style piers, (similar to Manhattans West Side) would bring a mix of renters, owners, hotel visitors, shoppers, sunbathers, jokers, bikers, kids, etc. to the riverfront.

I am not advocating for Comcast 3 on the water, but there is nothing wrong with building a a bunch of 10-30 story buildings along the water aligned in such a way that it would create an inviting and attractive landscape for everyone. It would also be necessary to orient the structures so they do not create a wall effect (like the lovely Aramark building on the other side).

Look at Chicago for example, a river and water front filled with highrises and its arguably the best in the nation. Or even Manhattan on the west side, recreation buffered by mostly mid/ highrise buildings. Even some famous waterfronts in Europe feature midrise buildings, heck I was just in Reykjavik, Iceland and there are a bunch of attractive midrises under construction on the waterfront. Yet Philadelphia should get ugly townhouses?? I would rather that parcel become a park than ruined with townhouses.

Lack of height has nothing to do with what makes a waterfront successful, its how everything is utilized and integrated. I think Philadelphians like to use highrises as a good way to to hush development they do not like.

This project was proposed a few months ago next to the Dock House. This building a perfect example of what I was ranting about above. Quality/ inviting architecture and development.

https://philly.curbed.com/2018/1/22/...delphia-digsau

Old 09-20-2018, 07:05 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
My wife had a dragonboat race a couple weeks ago at the newly built Wharf District in DC. It was a quiet, deactivated area with just a fish market as of a couple years ago. It had been re-zoned since and the new towers lining the waterfront were impressive. Hotels with upscale restaurants as first-floor tenants were in most of the buildings. Parking was built underground. There is also a water taxi service to take you to the Alexandria side from there. Overall, there were a lot of people out (jogging, coffee, with baby strollers), similar demographics to our gentrified areas.

Here is a picture from google of how it turned out: https://goo.gl/maps/6UUhN8MtdvL2

This is totally the way I would like the Delaware waterfront to be. It would be an excellent example to follow.
Another excellent example, further reiterates my point about what the Delaware River should strive to be.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:

Do you happen to know what is going on with the massive project to cover I-95, etc to remake the Penn Landing area? No further public announcements about it although wasn't all the funding secured?

Old 09-20-2018, 07:21 AM

288 posts, read 244,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Do you happen to know what is going on with the massive project to cover I-95, etc to remake the Penn Landing area? No further public announcements about it although wasn't all the funding secured?
PlanPhilly | Knight Foundation gives $4M for citywide conversation about park over I-95

Sounds like $10 mil is still needed:

The $225 million project will be funded with $90 million from the city, $15 million from the William Penn Foundation and $110 million from state and federal sources. State and foundation officials have committed to raising the final $10 million needed to complete the project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia