Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2015, 03:29 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan1 View Post
Hey guys, this is flyersfan1 and new to the forum with a question?
Any updated information on the possible height change to 60 stories 1,145 feet
For the CITC and will some news officially come down the line?
This rumor has been going on for months. Much discussion and speculation has been voiced in Facebook's Building Philadelphia group, on Skyscraperpage, and Skyscrapercity. Nothing official. Lord Norman Foster, the architect, was in town a couple of months ago and he didn't mention any plans to increase the height. I investigated the claim myself and one of the construction managers only indicated that more room is needed on top to accommodate the (airconditioning?) machinary that is going into the "lantern."

We will have to wait and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,882 times
Well, thanks cpomp and Clark park for your info, and there is
A long way to go as far as construction and the excitement of what will or
Could be.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:21 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,266,897 times
Another new apartment tower, with more infill on Walnut: Work starting on 1213 Walnut apartment project. Interesting to note that no parking is planned. Inga will no doubt be pleased about that.

I'm very familiar with this developer. He is a top name in Houston, responsible for many of the buildings that shape the city's skyline.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:13 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,221,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Another new apartment tower, with more infill on Walnut: Work starting on 1213 Walnut apartment project. Interesting to note that no parking is planned. Inga will no doubt be pleased about that.

I'm very familiar with this developer. He is a top name in Houston, responsible for many of the buildings that shape the city's skyline.
The detail on this tower is a little better than the norm but Center City is getting absolutely crushed with these bland rectangular disproportional glass boxes.

Right dowen the street is the elegant, sleek,propotional St.James which should be the template for Center City design , not these height challenged Mctowers that are popping up everywhere.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:07 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,266,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The detail on this tower is a little better than the norm but Center City is getting absolutely crushed with these bland rectangular disproportional glass boxes.

Right dowen the street is the elegant, sleek,propotional St.James which should be the template for Center City design , not these height challenged Mctowers that are popping up everywhere.
Understand where you're coming from, although we disagree here. Rather than the true box that went up around 19th and Chestnut or so, I see architectural design in this building. Ultimately, I am most interested to see what emerges at ground level. That is what I will see on a routine basis. Unfortunately, the ground level schematics did not accompany this article.

Before someone jumps down my throat, I am not saying street level form compensates for the overall building design. I am just saying, however, that I find this building to be a refreshing addition to that block of Walnut.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:13 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

1213 Walnut looks extremely similar to One Riverside, which isn't overly exciting or proportioned well either.

In many cases height is not a bad thing. Creates better proportions, and often times reduces the footprint of the building. The Murano, St, James, 1706 Ritt are great buildings.

1919 Market, 1900 Arch, are travesties, 2121 Chestnut is eh. The Boyd Building and 1911 Walnut have the chance to be great, we will see. It is really hard to keep a 200-300ft building from looking like a blob, you need height.

But 1213 Walnut could be a lot worse, its okay to me.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:48 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times
I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that projects like 1213 Walnut and One Riverside are obviously fantastic additions to Center City in terms of increasing vibrancy. These types of projects are being financed in the high 2-figure or more often 3-figure range of millions of dollars, so clearly the money being invested indicates a very high-quality and classy--albeit not necessarily earth-shattering--design (and certainly better than about 99% of other "urban" projects you'll see across the US--not every single building can or should be "starchitecture," which is the other 1%).

I think it's also very exciting that 1213 Walnut is being built with zero parking spots, especially for such a significant project. That's a very progressive step for Philadelphia and good sign for developers taking advantage of this zoning in very transit-friendly and walkable Center City.

That's not to say there haven't been any mediocre developments in Philly in recent years, but I think most objective observers would agree that Philly is beginning to step up its design game pretty significantly.

Last edited by Duderino; 12-10-2015 at 01:12 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 04:50 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times
1213 Walnut is the one people are affectionately calling "Fergie's Tower" ... right?

Excavation at the sight has begun.

I saw an earlier rending of a building that people were beginning to call the "Zipper Building" - thank goodness they rejected that design!

Old 12-11-2015, 08:07 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
1213 Walnut is the one people are affectionately calling "Fergie's Tower" ... right?

Excavation at the sight has begun.

I saw an earlier rending of a building that people were beginning to call the "Zipper Building" - thank goodness they rejected that design!
Yes, and yes I agree about the new rendering much better.

Also noticed down the street that SLS has a large hole in the ground now.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:29 AM

8,701 posts, read 14,706,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Yes, and yes I agree about the new rendering much better.

Also noticed down the street that SLS has a large hole in the ground now.
Was there actual work going on at the SLS site?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia