Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2017, 11:22 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Wait, I thought the Greatest Generation was the generation born up through World War II. (Though maybe not, for it was that generation that fought in the war, which means they would have been born in the 1920s.)

But the protests span two generations. It would have been the Silents who launched the Civil Rights Movement (which should tip you and kyb01 off to something: it was only the blacks who were making noise then), but it was the Boomers who gave us Black Power along with the Vietnam protests.
The Boomers years are usually defined: 1946-1964. Only the very oldest Boomers might have been involved in those latter things but many of us were still teens. For example I was 17/18 in 1967. You were in elementary school. Most Boomers were born in the mid-50s.

Most generational groupings are about 20 years long. So the Silents years are roughly 1926-45. Greatest years are roughly 1906-25. My parents, both born in 1916 and both deceased, were Greatest. The oldest person in my family, my father's sister, was born in 1918 during the height of the Flu Pandemic. She is 99 and still very much alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 10:06 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The Boomers years are usually defined: 1946-1964. Only the very oldest Boomers might have been involved in those latter things but many of us were still teens. For example I was 17/18 in 1967. You were in elementary school. Most Boomers were born in the mid-50s.

Most generational groupings are about 20 years long. So the Silents years are roughly 1926-45. Greatest years are roughly 1906-25. My parents, both born in 1916 and both deceased, were Greatest. The oldest person in my family, my father's sister, was born in 1918 during the height of the Flu Pandemic. She is 99 and still very much alive.
(emphasis added)

Then maybe we should blame the media?

The year I was born, 1958, was the peak year for births in the Baby Boom. Yet whenever I read stories about what "Baby Boomers" are doing, I almost always get the impression that they're talking about people a few years older than me. "Howdy Doody" had gone off the airwaves several years before I was old enough to remember children's TV shows. The oldest Baby Boomers would have been 19 when the Watts riots took place and 22 when MLK was assassinated, so some of them would have been involved with the Student Non-violent Coordinating Committee, which is where Stokely Carmichael cut his teeth.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
(emphasis added)

Then maybe we should blame the media?

The year I was born, 1958, was the peak year for births in the Baby Boom. Yet whenever I read stories about what "Baby Boomers" are doing, I almost always get the impression that they're talking about people a few years older than me. "Howdy Doody" had gone off the airwaves several years before I was old enough to remember children's TV shows. The oldest Baby Boomers would have been 19 when the Watts riots took place and 22 when MLK was assassinated, so some of them would have been involved with the Student Non-violent Coordinating Committee, which is where Stokely Carmichael cut his teeth.
Right. You and most of my first cousins were born between 1952 and 1958, the height of the Boom.

It gets more confusing because lately some people( the media?) want to create a subset of younger Boomers who were born between 1960-1964. Obama is in this group. I can see the point of doing this because, in truth, Obama, and folks like him, don't have that much in common with older Boomers who were born a decade earlier than him.

Interestingly enough would there have been a boom at all if birth control pills or legal abortion had been available? I say, no.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:56 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:

I agree on the 20 year span, but, if you go back to the Civil War generation, & work back to the present the timing is different. Generations can be truncated by something other than time passage. My mother was born in '25 & her middle brother was born in '29. They were definitely the same generation. Her youngest brother was born in about '34 & her first nephew was born in 44. They are definitely of the same generation. My oldest cousin is more like my uncle than his brothers who were born in '46 & '47.

We were defined by the birthrate. We're more than that, but it was determined that that shaped us. The birthrate fell in '64, so that became the start date of the baby bust who were followed by the boomlet. Those generations were renamed as GenX & Millennials. Now they're playing with year spans again. Oh well. . .

Old 12-02-2017, 11:28 AM

What is the ridership like on the BSL and MFL during the weekend 24 hr operation time? Just curious.

My reason for asking is there is a proposal to end 24/7 operations, mon-thu, on the subways in NYC. I'm aware of some of the problems the MTA is having, but, wow, this is drastic.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I agree on the 20 year span, but, if you go back to the Civil War generation, & work back to the present the timing is different. Generations can be truncated by something other than time passage. My mother was born in '25 & her middle brother was born in '29. They were definitely the same generation. Her youngest brother was born in about '34 & her first nephew was born in 44. They are definitely of the same generation. My oldest cousin is more like my uncle than his brothers who were born in '46 & '47.

We were defined by the birthrate. We're more than that, but it was determined that that shaped us. The birthrate fell in '64, so that became the start date of the baby bust who were followed by the boomlet. Those generations were renamed as GenX & Millennials. Now they're playing with year spans again. Oh well. . .
I was kinda working with how demographers have defined generations in the 20th century and this century. I agree with you about what you mean about assumptions within your specific family. So, sure, my sister and I are the same generation within our immediate family. But the groupings some social scientists use defines her as a Silent since she was born in 1943.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
What is the ridership like on the BSL and MFL during the weekend 24 hr operation time? Just curious.

My reason for asking is there is a proposal to end 24/7 operations, mon-thu, on the subways in NYC. I'm aware of some of the problems the MTA is having, but, wow, this is drastic.
There's a good long feature in The New York Times that chronicles how the subways have fallen back into a parlous state since they got a multi-billion-dollar rescue in the 1980s. One of the small things mentioned is Gov. Andrew Cuomo raiding the MTA's revenue pot to subsidize losses at state-run ski resorts.

Of course, our 24/7 weekend subway service was a restoration, not a cut; round-the-clock subway service here got the ax in the 1990s, with shuttle buses taking over between 12:30 and 5 a.m.

I was on one of the overnight trains last night. If the number of people in Walnut-Locust station at 2:30 a.m. is any guide, they probably get heaviest use right around the time the bars close.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:15 PM

82 posts, read 68,803 times
Quote:

I took the subway over the summer to catch a sunrise and caught the train around 5 am and then the 43 bus from Broad and Spring Garden. The subway was only 3 cars long but it was sufficiently crowded at 5 am on saturday morning. The 43 on the other only had me and my two friends all the way from Broad and Spring Garden to Penn Treaty park

Old 12-03-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
There's a good long feature in The New York Times that chronicles how the subways have fallen back into a parlous state since they got a multi-billion-dollar rescue in the 1980s. One of the small things mentioned is Gov. Andrew Cuomo raiding the MTA's revenue pot to subsidize losses at state-run ski resorts.

Of course, our 24/7 weekend subway service was a restoration, not a cut; round-the-clock subway service here got the ax in the 1990s, with shuttle buses taking over between 12:30 and 5 a.m.

I was on one of the overnight trains last night. If the number of people in Walnut-Locust station at 2:30 a.m. is any guide, they probably get heaviest use right around the time the bars close.
I have been to NYC a fair amount over the last year and I have noticed the increased wait time for subway trains. Someone posted a graph, on one of the subway threads on the NYC c-d board, about various city (world-wide) transit service reliability. Phila. 's(Septa)was 98%. NYC(MTA)was the lowest at 65%! This list included places like London, Paris, Shanghai, LA, DC. All of those cities had scores above 95%. It's funny to me to see car-centric LA beat NYC wrt transit reliability. Of course I will try to find the link where this chart came from. And I don't know what methodology they used.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimshady123 View Post
I took the subway over the summer to catch a sunrise and caught the train around 5 am and then the 43 bus from Broad and Spring Garden. The subway was only 3 cars long but it was sufficiently crowded at 5 am on saturday morning. The 43 on the other only had me and my two friends all the way from Broad and Spring Garden to Penn Treaty park
You did catch an overnight train, then.

The overnight consists are only three cars long. Five-car trains go back into service at the start of the regular service day. Where did you catch your train, and in which direction did you travel? Usually, the first trains of the regular service day depart Fern Rock southbound right around 5 a.m.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia