Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 09:05 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,234,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Some of this may actually happen this time. Ideas about capping it go back to at least the 80s or maybe before.
I sure hope so! Seeing all of this change occurring in Philly is so exciting to me! The Philadelphia that I visited last Wednesday looks almost unrecognizable to the Philly I knew when I was growing up in West Philly from 2001/2002-2006. The city is going to change for the better so much in my lifetime. I won't be as young as I am now when this happens (I'm 19 now), but to see this happen in my lifetime is amazing.

P.S. I am VERY optimistic about this, which is why I'm saying things like "will happen".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 09:11 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Some of this may actually happen this time. Ideas about capping it go back to at least the 80s or maybe before.
If Drexel is "running" this project it will get done.

You can always county on Penn, Drexel and Toll Brothers to get a job done as quickly as possible even of this magnitude.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:54 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I sure hope so! Seeing all of this change occurring in Philly is so exciting to me! The Philadelphia that I visited last Wednesday looks almost unrecognizable to the Philly I knew when I was growing up in West Philly from 2001/2002-2006. The city is going to change for the better so much in my lifetime. I won't be as young as I am now when this happens (I'm 19 now), but to see this happen in my lifetime is amazing.

P.S. I am VERY optimistic about this, which is why I'm saying things like "will happen".
Sorry but LMAO. In your lifetime... Hmmm... I'm not being mean. Listen , hon, I'm so old I remember when ALL of West Phila was nice. When Frankford was nice. When there were buzzing factories in Kensington; the first real job interview I had was at the Philco-Ford plant in Kensington. I remember when N. Philly was not primarily ghetto. I remember when the Divine Lorraine was a working hotel. I remember when Ridge Ave. was nice. I remember when city public schools were fine.

I remember Connie Mack Stadium. I remember the Eagle playing in Franklin Field. And not to go on too long with what was... but, I remember when NO ONE would have tried to build anything taller than City Hall tower.

Then... The 1964 riot happened. Then deindustrialization happened. Then white and middle class black flight happened. The city was dying and the decay was everywhere even in Rittenhouse Sq.

So to see what's going on now is beyond a miracle to me... places that I thought would never recover, have.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:06 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
Quote:
Sorry but LMAO. In your lifetime... Hmmm... I'm not being mean. Listen , hon, I'm so old I remember when ALL of West Phila was nice. When Frankford was nice. When there were buzzing factories in Kensington; the first real job interview I had was at the Philco-Ford plant in Kensington. I remember when N. Philly was not primarily ghetto. I remember when the Divine Lorraine was a working hotel. I remember when Ridge Ave. was nice. I remember when city public schools were fine.

I remember Connie Mack Stadium. I remember the Eagle playing in Franklin Field. And not to go on too long with what was... but, I remember when NO ONE would have tried to build anything taller than City Hall tower.

Then... The 1964 riot happened. Then deindustrialization happened. Then white and middle class black flight happened. The city was dying and the decay was everywhere even in Rittenhouse Sq.

So to see what's going on now is beyond a miracle to me... places that I thought would never recover, have.
You've given some great insight and advice on this site!

Old 06-17-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:

I understand what you're saying, and I don't think it's mean; it's more of a point to show that I used something similar to a superlative when I didn't need to compared to older generations. There's simply no way that I could have seen and experienced all of the things you have. Being born in 1995, I'm simply too young.

However, I have seen a lot change since I was a kid growing up and traveling to the city. I remember when Penn Park was nothing more than a former rail yard with a few active Amtrak tracks. I remember waiting for the El at the old West Philly stations and traveling along the old viaduct. I remember when Market Street west of where the viaduct begins seemed that it would never reopen to traffic. I remember the skyline before the Comcast Center, Cira Center, and Murano. I remember when the area around 30th Street Station was a lifeless, auto-centric nightmare, as well as attempting to cross Market at that point. I remember when the IRS building was the U.S. Post Office and the construction of the new complex off of Lindbergh Avenue. I remember when service on the 15 trolley was reintroduced and being so excited to ride the vintage PCC trolley cars. Finally, I remember when University City was constructing some of its first tall buildings, creating the skyline that we see today.

I admit that what I said was a little extreme; however, I am just very excited about all of the energy that the City has right now. If Philly looks this different to me in a matter of 10 years, then I imagine it is nothing short of a miracle for you. After all, you have witnessed the Columbia Avenue riots of 1964, seen Center City in decline in the 70s and 80s, the Meridian fire in the 90s, and everything in between. One day, when the rail yards are capped, Mantua and Powelton Village are as premier of neighborhoods as Society Hill and Fitler Square, and there are a collection of supertalls and high rises north and west of 30th Street, then I'll be able to say "in my generation ". Now is just not the time since I'm so young. The Philadelphia 2035 plan won't even be complete until I'm 40.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:54 PM

4,515 posts, read 4,048,891 times
Quote:

Do you think the city is rebecoming what it used to be or it is more like a new city?

Old 06-17-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post

I admit that what I said was a little extreme; however, I am just very excited about all of the energy that the City has right now. If Philly looks this different to me in a matter of 10 years, then I imagine it is nothing short of a miracle for you. After all, you have witnessed the Columbia Avenue riots of 1964, seen Center City in decline in the 70s and 80s, the Meridian fire in the 90s, and everything in between. One day, when the rail yards are capped, Mantua and Powelton Village are as premier of neighborhoods as Society Hill and Fitler Square, and there are a collection of supertalls and high rises north and west of 30th Street, then I'll be able to say "in my generation ". Now is just not the time since I'm so young. The Philadelphia 2035 plan won't even be complete until I'm 40.
It does feel like a miracle to me. But there were glimmers of change that were apparent even in darker times. The restaurants that we take for granted today? The start of it began in the early 70s. No matter his massive ego, G. Perrier, is a hero. He, along with others who came along a bit later, like Jean Marie LaCroix and Susanna Foo, basically laid the ground work for the Starr empire, Jose Garces and Mark Vetri and every one else who's come along since.

We always had great art and music here. We had winning sports teams in the 70s too. Gamble and Huff were creating all their hits.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Do you think the city is rebecoming what it used to be or it is more like a new city?
It's a bit of both to me.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:31 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,524 times
Quote:
It does feel like a miracle to me. But there were glimmers of change that were apparent even in darker times. The restaurants that we take for granted today? The start of it began in the early 70s. No matter his massive ego, G. Perrier, is a hero. He, along with others who came along a bit later, like Jean Marie LaCroix and Susanna Foo, basically laid the ground work for the Starr empire, Jose Garces and Mark Vetri and every one else who's come along since.

We always had great art and music here. We had winning sports teams in the 70s too. Gamble and Huff were creating all their hits.
If you could pick some elements from the old Philadelphia during its "glory days" back then and "plug them in" into all the developments we have currently, what would you pick and why?

Old 06-17-2015, 08:43 PM

I hate to interrupt the current direction of the conversation of this thread, but here's some development news. Hopefully this will finally get off the ground!

PlanPhilly | Blatstein plans at Broad & Washington to get nudge in Council
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia