Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 10:40 PM

17 posts, read 19,084 times

Advertisements

So, in about a year to a year and a half, my fiance, myself, and our three year old (four at that point) will be moving to somewhere around Philadelphia. Our first thought is Phoenixville, as I will be assisting at a church there. However, I will be attending graduate school in Blue Bell.

The priorities are: Good elementary schools, and the ability to get to Blue Bell and Phoenixville easily. We would like an area with a low crime rate, relatively low cost-of-living (but that we can work with), and easy access to grocery stores, walmart, etc.

Here's the questionnaire from the sticky.

When are you moving? Between February and June 2012
Where are you coming from? Tennessee
Why are you moving? Graduate School
Where will you be working? Phoenixville
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? Apartment, possibly a rental house, depending on cost.
How much can you spend? undetermined at this time.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? negotiable

Are you married or single? Will be married
Do you have children? One
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Not opposed, but not necessary.
Are you keeping a car? Two.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Negotiable

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? negotiable

Coke or Pepsi? My fiance prefers coke, I prefer pepsi. The little one is a chocolate milk kind of guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 10:09 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,790,895 times
It sounds like you would be a good candidate for one of these "5 county metro" atlases from franklin Maps. it is pricy but if you are going to live here you will be consulting it all the time. In addition to every street in every little suburban town it has zip codes, borders between different towns, countys etc, schools, shopping centers and the best way to get from here to there. By the time you move here you could be an expert on the whole area.

https://wx15.registeredsite.com/user...y=&idproduct=8

Old 02-01-2011, 11:00 PM

Anybody?

I will mention that as far as school districts go, we need one that is peanut-allergy friendly. From what I've seen from the Tredyffrin/Easttown School District's website, it is not. Any comments as far as this goes?

Last edited by anglican-mac; 02-01-2011 at 11:32 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 04:00 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,731,130 times
It's hard to give an answer without knowing a budget. Blue Bell is a great area but it might be too pricy.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:37 AM

I don't really have a budget per se, because neither of us know exactly how much we'll be making when we move. Which areas are generally average as far as rents go?

Old 02-02-2011, 06:51 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,101,305 times
The Methacton School District comes to mind. Check out Lower Providence, PA - the post office might be Worcester, PA. The schools in Methacton are well-regarded. You'd be about 15 minutes from Blue Bell, and a half hour or so from Phoenixville. There's a few apartment complexes in the Audobon area (on Egypt Road). Plenty of shopping (grocery stores, pharmacies, a WalMart, etc. nearby) and you'd be about 20 minutes from the King of Prussia Mall and probably also the same distance from the Plymouth Meeting Mall.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:55 AM

8,984 posts, read 21,192,695 times
Phoenixville and Blue Bell themselves are good places to live. A map search website predicts a 35 minute commute (or probably 45-50 minutes or so in traffic reality). If you subscribe to the idea that it's worth living in one or the other so that one parent can get to their child in an emergency, then you'll be fine.

Otherwise, with the exception of Norristown, you'll generally be surrounded by comfortable suburbs with above-average schools. You'll only be restricted by your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia