Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 07:15 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,914,444 times

Advertisements

I just found out about this great new drug, and had to share it with other per lovers. Don't you HATE having to give your cat or dog antibiotic pills twice a day for 10 days after a spay/neuter surgery or an infection? I've gotten that e-mail joke a bunch of times about giving a cat a pill, and it's sadly very accurate.

My one cat just had her teeth cleaned and they found one that was infected. I told them how I hate pilling her (because I end up bleeding), and even when I can get her to swallow the pill (after much bleeding) I'll inevitably find a pill on the floor later. Then I always worry that the cat will get a bad infection because she'll spit out more pills without my knowing.

Now they can just give an injection, and it is just like taking an antibiotic twice a day for 2 weeks!!!!! Yes, it cost me $40, but it's well worth it!
It's called Convenia, and it came out in 2008. Why on earth did I not learn about it sooner????? My vet very sadistically let me try to give pills last time.
Pfizer Animal Health Dogs Health Management

The cost is related to the weight of your pet, so the bigger the pet, the more expensive. But it's generally easier to "pill" a big dog, and your cat most likely weighs under, say 20 lbs.

You may want to ask your vet about it.

[No, I do not work for Pfizer, nor do I know anyone who does. However after learning about Convenia, I may buy stock!]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 07:19 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,529,780 times
Be easier than having dogs like mine that even if put pill in raw burger anything she gets pill out. Even if had to does up myself be easier.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:28 PM

Yeah, I guess some dogs can be hard to "pill," but they are generally easier than cats.

My dog is such an idiot that he would eat anything you throw at him to catch: treats, thumbtacks, no difference!

The last time he had to take a pill, I put it on the edge of the kitchen counter (since he's not allowed to jump up and steal things off the counter) and he jumped up and took it-- {gulp}.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:31 PM

Here's that joke in case any of you never saw it.

How To Pill a Cat
  1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on each side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.
  2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat gently in left arm and repeat process.
  3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, pick up and throw soggy pill away.
  4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for count of ten.
  5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse in from garden.
  6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into cat's mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.
  7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill out of foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep up shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set on one side for gluing later.
  8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with a pencil and blow into drinking straw.
  9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.
  10. Retrieve cat from neighbor’s shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door just enough so that head is showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with plastic band.
  11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw t-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.
  12. Call fire department to retrieve cat from tree across road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.
  13. Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by a large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.
  14. Get spouse to drive you to emergency room. Sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearms and removes pill from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home and order new dining table.
  15. Arrange for ASPCA to collect cat and contact local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.
How To Pill a Dog
  1. Wrap pill in bacon

Old 10-07-2009, 09:11 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,118,667 times
My dog is completely submissive to me and allows me to handle his mouth and head so I just position him where I want stick that sucker in one side and push it back then do the throat massage coupled with a piece of ice for him to chew on. Wouldn't try shoving my hand in the mouth of a dog that I didn't have total confidence in... specially since mine can about swallow my hand, lol. If he didn't want it there I would imagine I could lose a couple fingers.

The cat on the other hand. If he doesn't think it is a treat or I can't stick it into some kind of treat then it ain't happening.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times
Two words - Pill Pockets. Makes pill time easy and they are not terribly expensive.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:35 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
dave just finished a week's worth of 2x day antibiotics..... i am usually pretty successful at pilling animals (cats too), but man oh man .... just had NO LUCK AT ALL with this lean, slippery boy.....

ended up covering the pill with a dab of peanut butter and letting him lick it off of my finger..... it went down no problem AT ALL..... he never even knew he was being medicated.... and was even able to turn the giving-of-the-pill into a mini-training session..... of course, bailey had to have her dab of peant butter too....

Old 10-11-2009, 11:37 AM

192 posts, read 618,238 times
Quote:
My dog is such an idiot that he would eat anything you throw at him to catch: treats, thumbtacks, no difference!
hahaha. my brothers great dane is like that, too

Old 10-11-2009, 01:46 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
The last time he had to take a pill, I put it on the edge of the kitchen counter (since he's not allowed to jump up and steal things off the counter) and he jumped up and took it-- {gulp}.
LMAO... great idea! Unfortunately my dog is too well-behaved about counter surfing, and would just ignore it or whine at me. Rudy is also too smart for the old pill-pocket or food burying tricks, so I actually have to pill him. Last time I tried it was so difficult, I gave up after 2 doses (it was only a nausea medication, and he seemed better anyway). If my animals need regular meds again, I'll look into this injection! Definitely would be worth the money, IMO.

Oh, and another good option that costs less is the pill syringe... you shove the pill inside a plastic "syringe" (no needle), put it on the back of their tongue & "shoot" it down their throat. Sounds brutal, but it's actually really quick and easy - worked like a charm on my brother's cat, when he needed meds for 3-4 months following a car accident.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:47 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
for me, pilling the cat is the easy part..... CATCHING the cat to give it the pill is the danged near impossible part.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets