Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 06:10 AM
miu miu started this thread

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

I think that this was a very good idea!

Quote:
BRIDGEPORT, Conn.
Unnamed owners give up exotic animals

Connecticut’s first day of amnesty to allow exotic animal owners to turn in their illegally owned pets netted 15 boa constrictors, 15 pythons, seven alligators, a small monkey, a rattlesnake, and an anaconda yesterday. State officials at Bridgeport Zoo asked about medical histories but owners were not asked their names. “We were looking for ways to give people an opportunity to find other means to get the animals in appropriate settings,’’ said Susan Frechette of the state Department of Environmental Protection. Katie Norton, 29, of Norwalk, sobbed as she handed over a veiled chameleon named Suzanne. Jeff Seepes, 44, of Norwalk, turned over his alligator named Petey. “He was great,’’ Seepes said. “He bit me a few times, but he’s very tame.’
I thought the comment about Petey the alligator very funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 07:34 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I agree. Along with stiffer legislation making it harder to get exotics in the first place.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:58 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,612,432 times
I keep exotics. I don't see a problem with them for the most part. I do believe it should be illegal as far as primates or venomous reptiles. I also believe anyone owning the giants should have permits, as they can be dangerous.
I am against outlawing exotics altogether. Many responsible people get great pleasure from their pets. There are already enough laws in place for the keeping of animals. Yet the problem is those laws don't get enforced. If they don't have the manpower to enforce already standing laws, why do we need more legislation. Just that much more to enforce.This would be great for people who think no one should have a pet, but what about the rest of us. Especially us who have well maintained exotics for pets.
At some time people should quit looking at the animals themselves as the issue and pass harder punishment for the ones causing the problems, such as the irresponsible owners. As it stands now, a dangerous dog gets seized from his owner. He just walks out and gets another. So the first dog basicly dies for the negligence of his owner.

Everytime more laws are passed you lose more freedom. Why not go after the people creating the problems than passing more laws to restrict everyone. At some point in time we will need to have a license to wipe our butts.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:15 AM

Well, out of these exotics, which would you like to have the right to own? Or better yet, what exotics do you own?
Quote:
15 boa constrictors, 15 pythons, seven alligators, a small monkey, a rattlesnake, and an anaconda
And another aspect to this owner turn in, is that when an owner becomes tired of his exotics, he may not know what to do with them. As it is, more than a few exotic pet owners just dump their pets in the wild when they are done with them... and that's a terrible thing to do. Both for that animal and also our local wildlife.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well, out of these exotics, which would you like to have the right to own? Or better yet, what exotics do you own?

And another aspect to this owner turn in, is that when an owner becomes tired of his exotics, he may not know what to do with them. As it is, more than a few exotic pet owners just dump their pets in the wild when they are done with them... and that's a terrible thing to do. Both for that animal and also our local wildlife.
Check photo album for what I have. As fars turn in ,the humane society as far as I remember has always allowed turn ins as do reptile rescue groups that are found on line. Again this comes down to responsibility. A responsible person will not release an exotic pet, they will use a rescue group or rehome. If I remember there was a chameleon turned over. These are not dangerous and are usually very easy to find excellent homes for. Also many constrictors and various pythons don't get large enough to be a threat. Like I said before enforce the laws we already have. The next pet may be yours. If you feel you need more laws continue on, otherwise stand up and report abuses so the laws in effect can actually be enforced. Animal officers are overworked. If you want the laws to make a difference, help them by actually making reports on abuses and releases by reporting such when you see it. Rather than MORE laws be proactive in helping to curb the abuses.
I can see giants and primates being illegal, but all pets incuding cats and dogs can become illegal if they keep pushing. More people are maimed and killed by dogs than pet snakes. Snakes are usually in the spotlight due to the fact many fear them, many times for unfounded reasons.
Lets face it our wildlife is at a greater risk by cats, feral dogs, poachers, collectors, you name it. Like I said before there will come a time you will need a permit for everything you do, the polititions just keep finding new ways to take your rights and line there pockets.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:03 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
I own exotics as well and have had no problems with it. I've already got a plan in place for them for when I die, as some of them will probably outlive me.

I think the thing that we need to do is enforce education about the exotics. Some of them are nearly impossible own and keep properly. Others are easy keepers but can be difficult as they get bigger. Those usually get dumped in the woods some place.

I think people need to know exactly what to expect when they bring them home and make sure it's something they are ready for. Mine for example (sulcata tortoises) are the third largest species of tortoise on the planet, however when you see them in pet stores as hatchlings they're the size of a quarter.

The people in the pet store aren't going to tell you how big they're going to get and have you back out. They want to sell the pet at all costs, regardless of what will happen to it later on.

All of ours came from a rescue. They were dumped there because they got too big. Your quarter size 'turtle' suddenly gets to be 60 pounds and is eating walls in the winter and ramming you while you're in it's pen or yard and you didn't do your homework and freak out. You call a rescue and dump them there.

What they didn't realize is keeping a sulcata indoors in the cooler months, while absolutely necessary as they can't survive temps below 60, is that a very common form of the mating ritual is ramming one another. So it's not aggression that they were displaying at all. But the size and behavior was unexpected and they dump them.

I do agree however that giving people an easy out to dump them is a poor plan. They'll just go pick up another cute hatchling or some other exotic pet to impress their friends with, having the comfort of knowing that once a year when the thing is no longer easy to care for they can just dump them some place.

My question is what happens to the pets when the state has control? I mean this time they might be able to find zoos with room for them, but if this continues, the zoos will be in the same situation that rescues are in and they won't be able to take them any longer. Then what happens? Euthanasia happens.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I own exotics as well and have had no problems with it. I've already got a plan in place for them for when I die, as some of them will probably outlive me.

I think the thing that we need to do is enforce education about the exotics. Some of them are nearly impossible own and keep properly. Others are easy keepers but can be difficult as they get bigger. Those usually get dumped in the woods some place.

I think people need to know exactly what to expect when they bring them home and make sure it's something they are ready for. Mine for example (sulcata tortoises) are the third largest species of tortoise on the planet, however when you see them in pet stores as hatchlings they're the size of a quarter.

The people in the pet store aren't going to tell you how big they're going to get and have you back out. They want to sell the pet at all costs, regardless of what will happen to it later on.

All of ours came from a rescue. They were dumped there because they got too big. Your quarter size 'turtle' suddenly gets to be 60 pounds and is eating walls in the winter and ramming you while you're in it's pen or yard and you didn't do your homework and freak out. You call a rescue and dump them there.

What they didn't realize is keeping a sulcata indoors in the cooler months, while absolutely necessary as they can't survive temps below 60, is that a very common form of the mating ritual is ramming one another. So it's not aggression that they were displaying at all. But the size and behavior was unexpected and they dump them.

I do agree however that giving people an easy out to dump them is a poor plan. They'll just go pick up another cute hatchling or some other exotic pet to impress their friends with, having the comfort of knowing that once a year when the thing is no longer easy to care for they can just dump them some place.

My question is what happens to the pets when the state has control? I mean this time they might be able to find zoos with room for them, but if this continues, the zoos will be in the same situation that rescues are in and they won't be able to take them any longer. Then what happens? Euthanasia happens.
Excellent post! Education and information is crucial when dealing with live animals. Petshops will never tell the facts, as you stated they would lose sales. And petshops are all about profit. I also believe if you take an animal home, be prepared to care for it in good or bad times. There are many reputable reptile sites on line to do your research and get care info before you adopt or buy the next pet. I wish there were a way to keep pets out of irresponsible hands, but how can we make it work without harming the responsible people? I wish there was an easy answer.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:36 AM

I think that some exotics should need ownership registration. And the ones that get too big shouldn't be sold at all. And they should tell the prospective owners how much the feeding and maintenance will cost them. And if the pet stores won't be honest about this sort of information, then it should be a law that they have to post this info next to the displays. Of course, even then, the ones that are easily bred will be able to be purchased under the radar. I heard a version of this story on the radio. In CT, they've recently found two alligators in the wild. And one of the alligators turned in was by a landlord whose deadbeat tenants left behind in his tank. Then there was a chameleon whose owners turned in because its upkeep was too expensive... $40 a month for crickets was too much for them I guess. But the couple sounded young and in their early 20's.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:54 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
I have exotics as well and would never dream of just turning them loose if I didn't want them. My pets aren't throw aways, they're part of our family. I agree about educating before purchasing. Petshops only care about making a sale. I wish impulse buys could be stopped. I've sold ferrets in the past and now breed sugar gliders. I am very strict w/ who I sell to. If a person isn't willing to answer my questions, I'm not willing to sell to them. You wouldn't believe how many want a sugar glider just because they're cute and they don't have a clue to their care or diet. The neighborhood kids love me and I love nothing more than to bring out one of our snakes, lizards, chams, birds or furry critters to educate them.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:33 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think that some exotics should need ownership registration. And the ones that get too big shouldn't be sold at all. And they should tell the prospective owners how much the feeding and maintenance will cost them. And if the pet stores won't be honest about this sort of information, then it should be a law that they have to post this info next to the displays. Of course, even then, the ones that are easily bred will be able to be purchased under the radar. I heard a version of this story on the radio. In CT, they've recently found two alligators in the wild. And one of the alligators turned in was by a landlord whose deadbeat tenants left behind in his tank. Then there was a chameleon whose owners turned in because its upkeep was too expensive... $40 a month for crickets was too much for them I guess. But the couple sounded young and in their early 20's.
But who's to say what's too big? Just because it's too big for you doesn't mean it's not too big for someone else. I don't think mandating ownership based on size will work.

And you can make pet stores be honest and post all the info you want. The irresponsible owners truly could care less. They'll buy them anyway because they're little and cute and a good conversation piece with their friends and when it's no longer convenient for them, they dump them. Education won't help those that are selfish and irresponsible.

And yes, there will always be those breeding them even if they're illegal for the money.

The pets that are found alive are lucky. The tortoises that I have can't live in most areas of the country, except the extreme south where even winters stay fairly warm. Once temps drop below 50 they die of hypothermia. But people buy them when they're tiny and just toss them out the back door when they're too big, not caring that they'll freeze to death.

I think we need to stop banning anything. From dog breeds to specific species. Instead we need to start putting mandates in place that ensure that they are keeping track of the exotics out there, the people that are applying for ownership registration have done their homework and know what is required, and that they are properly set up for the animal they are looking to purchase. If they fail in any of those areas they do not get the registration. And if they're caught with one of the exotics anyway, there needs to be very steep, harsh financial penalties involved, as well as confiscation of the animal and it being turned over to a rescue or shelter that is set up for it.

I also think there needs to be annual inspection of some kind of each of those that have exotics to make sure they're keeping up with the care and keeping of the animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets