Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 08:43 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

They're pulling out all the stops next week — including giving pets to some adopters at no charge — in a nationwide effort to boost the number of shelter animals that find new homes.

Three hundred shelters across the USA are holding Change a Pet's Life Day on Jan. 24, aimed at focusing attention on shelters and rescue groups and enticing potential adopters.

One day, 3,000 adoptions from pet shelters, no fees - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 12:28 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,554 times
Hill's is sponsoring this, underwriting the first 10 adoptees at each shelter -- and giving out free bags of their Science Fiction. : - Damage control.

Just pray that the shelters are really going to be just as stringent about who they adopt to for free in this crazy day and age. Sorry so cynical here, about threw up when I saw the Hill's. (Wish the Celeb would read those ingredients!)

{{ducking for flames now}}

But this is where the Innovas, Canidaes, Evangers & Merricks ...need to be and anyone familiar with the whole "Pet Food Story" knows why they aren't.
OTOH if they DID shell out all this $$$ promotion with a celebrity, we probably wouldn't have a healthy alternative for our pets outside of Home cook/RAW, would we?

Last edited by Travel'r; 01-14-2009 at 12:55 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 08:00 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Hill's is sponsoring this, underwriting the first 10 adoptees at each shelter -- and giving out free bags of their Science Fiction. : - Damage control.

Just pray that the shelters are really going to be just as stringent about who they adopt to for free in this crazy day and age. Sorry so cynical here, about threw up when I saw the Hill's. (Wish the Celeb would read those ingredients!)

{{ducking for flames now}}

But this is where the Innovas, Canidaes, Evangers & Merricks ...need to be and anyone familiar with the whole "Pet Food Story" knows why they aren't.
OTOH if they DID shell out all this $$$ promotion with a celebrity, we probably wouldn't have a healthy alternative for our pets outside of Home cook/RAW, would we?
I'm not a fan of Hill's food, think most of it is pure junk, but I think it's great hat they are sponsoring this event. Hill's, despite the relatively poor quality of their foods (though they're better than most other popular brands) has done a LOT for shelters and rescues. most shelters feed their animals Hill's food. and the Hill's Rx diets are some of the best choices for some sick animals (though in the end, a homemade diet would probably be best for some allergic animals). I don't think of them as the evil force you seem to see them as. no one else seems to be helping shelters as much as Hill's is, or at such a scale (the companies you mentioned, though good companies, are all too small to have the nat'l effect Hill's has)

I'm sure shelter workers will thoroughly screen adopters on that day. I doubt waiving the adoption fee will bring out a bunch of crazies. these days, it's easier to get a pet off of Craigslist or from a newspaper ad, so the crazies will still keep using this source most likely. hopefully, people will show up for this event and adopt some vetted animals instead of the unvetted ones that tend to populate sites like CL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets