Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2012, 11:22 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times

Advertisements

Now if this only works.......

Puppy Mill Ban In LA Will Require Pet Stores To Sell Rescued Animals Only (VIDEO)

If enough cities banned the selling of puppy and kitty mill "produce," the mills may finally dry up and blow away along with the suffering, disease and genetically inferior animals they sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 11:15 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
That's awesome, if only all cities and states would follow this.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:21 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,173,765 times
How about just making it illegal for pet (food/toy) stores from selling dogs or cats period.
This will send the people to the breeder.
This will expose the mill.
They will see where the animal came from and how the parents are treated.

Pets are not a impulse item remove them from stores.
When we stop impulse buying we will start to see fewer pets being dumped.
It would be a step in the right direction.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:17 AM

One step further, No retail sales of dogs or cats at a store.
You buy them direct from a licensed breeder or shelter period.

as for internet sales, I'm on the fence.
I think a licensed breeder should ba allowed to do so.
logistics, distance is a consideration, how can you expect someone from across the country or the other side of the world to come to your kennel for a interview?
We have been getting more and more inquires over the internet,
The problem arrases from not being to interview them in person.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:55 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,015,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post

logistics, distance is a consideration, how can you expect someone from across the country or the other side of the world to come to your kennel for a interview?
Wouldn't something like Skype work for an "interview"?

This is the issue that I have on the "other side" of the puppy mill debate. According to you, my choices should be to go to a shelter or a "licensed breeder" (whatever that is). If I have my heart set on a particular breed, and don't meet the breeder's "criteria" or God forbid, can't come for an in-person interview...I"m pretty much looking at taking my chances elsewhere.

I'm of the group that really gets irked when a "breeder" wants to be involved with my dog's life from birth until death. I understand that they "live for their dogs", but I find it particularly weird that someone who I've paid for an animal to want to be that involved. And, I know I"m not the only one.

I suppose that my stance on this is that there is a middle ground. Somewhere in between the backyard breeders and those who would require in-person interviews and the sacrifice of your first born child.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's fabulous that puppy mills are going out of business. However, I think that breeders who require in-person interviews (and the sacrifice of your first-born child) contribute to the allure of the backyard breeders.

You are, at the end of the day, selling a piece of property- at least legally-speaking. So, to expect that your average person would jump through so many hoops is pretty much ridiculous. By not (at least) offering to videoconference with prospective buyers of your dogs, you do contribute to the problem of BYBs.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:02 PM

The word is responsible and we want our customers to be responsible too
Do some over do it with all these stipulations, Yes, I wholeheartedly agree.

While we do interview you to see if you are " worthy"
and you do agree some people should not own a dog yet they still try.
Your response is, so what they will just go elsewhere and get one.
That is fine as that dog will not have our name associated with it or the owner.
If you have a limited registration we will require prof of spay or neuter before we issue the papers for AKC.
But it's your dog you can love it and keep it as a cherished member of the family, sell it, give it away or put it down and more all with out our permission.

What is your feeling on the warranties that a reputable breeder will have for all of their dogs?

Yes the dog Is property, It is our property and until the law changes we will decide who gets a dog.
Half of this interview consists of us getting to know you so we can fit the right pups to you and your life style. Dogs like people are different they all have different drives and personalities.
some are a lot of dog some not so much. Why show high drive dogs to folks who are laid back or old?( unless they request it.) you wouldn't you would show them some mellow pups with less drive.

ps we are not a BYB we are a Licensed breeder by the UADS~APHIS and the AKC we are inspected by both of them.
and if by having standards is contributing to the problems of BYS by not video conferring then so be it, you can't make every one happy.

but it's not to say that using technology to do interviews is totally off the table would be short sighted.

Last edited by snofarmer; 11-05-2012 at 11:23 PM..

Old 11-06-2012, 10:27 AM

PS to my rant.
The interview and traveling to our kennel really puts a wet blanket on the impulse buying of a animal.

This helps to ensure that the animal it truly wanted.
Yes, buying a animal should be harder that buying a can of pop.

Last edited by snofarmer; 11-06-2012 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 11-06-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
How about just making it illegal for pet (food/toy) stores from selling dogs or cats period.
That would be fine with me. I've even seen pups being sold a flea markets.

Quote:
This will send the people to the breeder.
This will expose the mill.
They will see where the animal came from and how the parents are treated.
I'm sure this would help - if the breeder knows what they're doing. Many breeders take good care of their dogs and cats but are clueless as to the breed standards because they don't show the animals or don't care. Some are not even aware their breeding stock has defective genes and that wont be overcome with good food and cleanliness. Germany has the right idea with some kind of Wardens who approve of the dogs that are purebred. I have no other info on that as I read it a long time ago.

Quote:
Pets are not a impulse item remove them from stores.
When we stop impulse buying we will start to see fewer pets being dumped.
It would be a step in the right direction.
Agreed!

Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
What about RESCUES from pet stores? I got one of my cats from Petco. He and his brother were rescued from a high-kill KY shelter and brought down to TN. He was $65, had his shots, was neutered and blood and temperament tested by the Rescue. He was worth every penny I paid for him. Other Rescues save pups and dogs from kill-shelters and have Adoptathons at the pet stores. Thousands of cats and dogs are saved this way every year across the country. Some are purebreds, most are crossbreeds. I believe it's a GOOD thing.

Quote:
A Lic breeder is no guarantee the pup or kit will be healthy or up to the breed standard. And the internet is a great place for them to unload their animals on unsuspecting people.

Quote:
If I were to buy a pup today I would contact a local breeder who shows their stock and visit the place in person. I bred and showed mini poodles on the east coast in the 1960s and 70s. I know what goes on and would do it no other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets