Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:52 PM

733 posts, read 1,755,635 times

Advertisements

My sister and I are wanting to buy a Green Anole and we aren't sure whether to trust petsmart or whether to trust other sources. For starters, petsmart tells us that they are fine to be kept together, but a different source tells me that they often become territorial and fight for space, which I would assume is not a good thing. So is it better to get just one or would it be okay for have more than one in the same habitat? Most sources seem to agree on everything else from the habitat to the eating habits. But if anyone has owned one and has some more info they could give me, then that'd be great. But my main concern is whether or not I could have more than one in a cage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 02:49 PM

574 posts, read 1,064,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
My sister and I are wanting to buy a Green Anole and we aren't sure whether to trust petsmart or whether to trust other sources. For starters, petsmart tells us that they are fine to be kept together, but a different source tells me that they often become territorial and fight for space, which I would assume is not a good thing. So is it better to get just one or would it be okay for have more than one in the same habitat? Most sources seem to agree on everything else from the habitat to the eating habits. But if anyone has owned one and has some more info they could give me, then that'd be great. But my main concern is whether or not I could have more than one in a cage.
Just read how males are very territorial and sometimes fight their own reflection. We have a bearded dragon (lizard) that is very social, sweet, will just lie on your chest and sleep and pretty easy to care for. I just took it out for a walk for the first time yesterday with a special lizard leash so it would get exercise but not run away. Being in a cage all day, they don't get a lot of exercise. Look them up.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:59 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,936 times
It amazes me how pet stores are selling anoles when they run freely in our area. For a better first time lizard, go w/ a leopard gecko.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
It amazes me how pet stores are selling anoles when they run freely in our area. For a better first time lizard, go w/ a leopard gecko.
I heard Leopard Geckos are a good beginner lizard, but I also heard that Anoles are too. The thing is though that the Leopard Geckos are 34.99 compared the anoles which are just 6.99. So why do you recommend the Leopard gecko? Are they easier to take care of? More friendly? The Anoles caught my attention because they seem very active, though that could be a problem when it comes to taking them out of the cage.

Last edited by bkern1989; 09-18-2011 at 10:19 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 08:24 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
anoles are ok "beginner" lizards, to me there a little fast for beginners and often need a little more upkeep than stores let on.
there not realy the kind of lizards you just get out and play with/handle.

they can be kept together IF the tank is big enough
Anoles

Old 09-19-2011, 09:34 AM

574 posts, read 1,064,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
anoles are ok "beginner" lizards, to me there a little fast for beginners and often need a little more upkeep than stores let on.
there not realy the kind of lizards you just get out and play with/handle.

they can be kept together IF the tank is big enough
Anoles
We got a Bearded Dragon because they don't jump like Gecko's and are more social and easier to take out. I took mine for a walk with a lizard leash the other day...I know. We don't have a safe area for him to run around and get exercise so we found this leash at Petco and it works. I have never had a reptile and never wanted one but my son did. Guess who takes care of it and kisses his head?

Old 09-19-2011, 11:43 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
I heard Leopard Geckos are a good beginner lizard, but I also heard that Anoles are too. The thing is though that the Leopard Geckos are 34.99 compared the anoles which are just 6.99. So why do you recommend the Leopard gecko? Are they easier to take care of? More friendly? The Anoles caught my attention because they seem very active, though that could be a problem when it comes to taking them out of the cage.
I guess because I see Anoles running all over outside, I don't see them as a pet. I know they're extrememly fast and not easy to hold like a Leopard Gecko. Geckos don't have to cost that much. I once bought one at Petsmart on sale for $15.00, which was really cheap. I just got these two babies from a breeder. I got both of them for $25.00.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:55 AM

quite honestly if start up cost is a concern i wouldnt get any lizard, no matter what size or species, between tank, lighting, heater, set up ect and running the whole thing reptiles are expensive pets and that $7 anole costs just as much to keep as a leopard gecko...

personally love bearded dragons for dedicated beginners, dog like in personality, but ther not cheap and owners need alot of education...

loepard geckos are one of the best beginner lizards...they arnt as jumpy as anoles, a little larger so easier to handle, they dont need as much space and arnt climbers so setting up a tank is easier...and ive NEVER met a leopard gecko thats a picky eater...anoles though many tend ot be picky eaters

Old 09-19-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
quite honestly if start up cost is a concern i wouldnt get any lizard, no matter what size or species, between tank, lighting, heater, set up ect and running the whole thing reptiles are expensive pets and that $7 anole costs just as much to keep as a leopard gecko...

personally love bearded dragons for dedicated beginners, dog like in personality, but ther not cheap and owners need alot of education...

loepard geckos are one of the best beginner lizards...they arnt as jumpy as anoles, a little larger so easier to handle, they dont need as much space and arnt climbers so setting up a tank is easier...and ive NEVER met a leopard gecko thats a picky eater...anoles though many tend ot be picky eaters
That's some great info. Price isn't a big deal because my extra paycheck comes next week so that's when we plan on getting it. The picky eating thing is good because I have heard that feeding them crickets can be a major pain and sometimes difficult, so I was planning on using mealworms, which I heard are just fine for the leopar geckos.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:24 PM

leos do fine with meal worms, but they are high in sugar so id alternate mealworms with occasiaonl crickets, tiny pinky mice for adults and even baby food, theres lots of info out there for feeding leos...
leos are absolutly hilarious to watch eating, they stalk their food then wiggle their butts and pounce!
ive found leopard geckos will eat almost enything as long as it wiggles lol.

anoles however tend to be very picky, young anoles need pinhead crickets and baby food (Ive never met an anole who eats the premade anole food lol), ive personally never met an anole who will eat mealworms, but ive only delt with green anoles, the larger species (the knight anoles) probbaly could but they arnt available in most pet stores.

i personally find leos MUCH more entertaining in themselves...they are fairly lazy unless their eating but will clamber on you and sit quite happily.
that being said if your just looking for a "sit and watch em" type lizard, a well put together anole tank is very pretty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets