Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 08:25 PM

69 posts, read 156,500 times

Advertisements

for those of you who DONT belive me. just look here.. i warn you, the following clip is disturbing..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9DTz...eature=related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 11:02 PM

380 posts, read 834,794 times
And straight from AAFCO President's mouth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4nZK...eature=related

Old 02-27-2011, 12:20 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,640,526 times
I suggest all people research the nutritional needs of their pets.
10 years ago we purchased a mix from Kaytee foods. We had two ferrets and one really liked this food. Two weeks later he was vomiting and had labored bowel movements. Ended up the food had dehydrated carrots. When these dried carrot flakes sat in his stomach they absorbed enough moisture to resume their full size and created a bowel blockage. I later learned this brand of food had been nicknamed death in a bag on several ferret forums.

I contacted the food manufacture and complained. They contacted me the next day to make restitution. After my vet was contacted and confirmed I received a check for $1800 for vet bills and surgery.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:43 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,182,572 times
Leave out the feeding of meat to cows or sheep as it has no bearing on if a dog eats a dog.
They were not meant to eat meat a dog is.

I don't like the phenobarbital that may have been used to euthanize the animal getting in to the food. I agree with this.
Not all pathogens are passed along when eaten.

The small rocks or gravel that the bird has in it's crop is a non-issue ,a wiled doge will eat birds.
2. some dogs will eat moss and dirt.

It is a dog eat dog world.

Cannibalism among wolves is not uncommon, either.
While Meier has never seen wolves kill members of their own packs, he has seen wolves cannibalize pack mates after they are killed by other wolves or die for other reasons. He recalled an incident several years ago in which 6-month-old pups ate their parents after the older wolves were killed in a fight.
It's not unusual for trappers to find wolves they've caught eaten by other wolves, especially when they are caught in snares, Grangaard said. Surprisingly, that's not the case with wolves caught in leg-hold traps, Grangaard said, perhaps because the trapped wolves are still alive when other wolves arrive on scene.
"I've had a lot of heads hanging in snares, where the whole body has been eaten," he said, recalling one winter when he lost nine trapped wolves to cannibalism.
Once, Grangaard said, he interrupted a wolf eating another wolf he had snared.
"When he heard me coming he took off and hit another snare," he said.
In recent years, Meier said, he has seen more wolves being eaten after they are killed.
"Last winter, just about every wolf we went to check out was eaten," he said. "I don't think they're killing them to eat them. They're killing them for the territory."It's a Wolf-Eat-Wolf World in the Wilds of Alaska

Ps some b1!ch@s will eat there young.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:28 AM

25,999 posts, read 22,192,881 times
We are converting to a raw food diet and feel so much better and the dog seems to love anything she can beg from us. Dog food bag is almost empty and more and more, I'm thinking the dog deserves as good as diet as we have without the threat of "Chinese" intervention and antibiotics and other medications given to animals that have passed on and are in the dog food bag. I was amazed at all the nuts, etc. that offer a complete protein. Our dog doesn't need all the antibiotics and things from dead whatever and she drinks distilled water like we do. This thread seems to be the tie-breaker on commercial dog food or not. I am educated enough to make and carry out good decisions.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:54 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,882,517 times
sounds like a very good plan AE, theres deinfatly lots of raw info out there depending on the method your plannign to go with. it can also be alot cheaper too! (pre-made is more expensive however)

a good source of meat...frezer burned...freezer burn only damages the texture of the meat, dogs dont care, most people just throw out freezer burnt meats so you can very easily put adds out on craiglist and get yourself alot of meat that way.
you can also get alot of rec bones for free during hunting season, deer hunters have no use for the larger bones and will usually give them away if someone wants them!

Old 03-03-2011, 12:01 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,467,469 times
Gosh guys thanks for the information and so informative. But it is making me really sick and disgusted to think, even jsut think of what might be happening to pet food, this is sickening if really happening. I Love my pets so much, they are family, and what i feed them is very important. Does anyone have a link that can send me directly to find out more on the topic, this is sickening.

Any brands of pet foods, any one want to share info on, i am very worried about this now.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:16 AM

69 posts, read 156,500 times
stay away from walmarts "ol' roy" brand. it is notorious.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:32 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,359,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereorob View Post
i recently found out that in some brand name pet foods they use by-products from slaughterhouses, like the eyes, bone, hair, balls, teeth, etc. of cows and what not, but euthinised pets from shelters?!!
You'll find no cow's balls in pet foods. Or anywhere else, for that matter.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:28 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,846,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereorob View Post
stay away from walmarts "ol' roy" brand.
it is notorious.
Notorious for what?

I buy it for the raccoons.

They are notorious for eating garbage.

But they love Ol Roy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets