Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 05:07 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,879,388 times

Advertisements

I think we have fleas in the house- as we have tiny black bugs that jump- I don't know what they could be and they are always in the kitchen during this hot heat here in Arizona. Sometimes I find some in my bathroom and I found one in my bedroom last night that I tried to kill but it got away.

This is such a nightmare. I'm afraid they will just keep coming back.

We have cats and 1 dog and the dog is the only one that goes outside and he has been checked a few times for fleas but never has them.

How can they get in?
I don't know what else they could be as they don't fly and only jump.
They seem to like white surfaces.

How can I get rid of these?
What exactly do I need to do to get rid of them?
Do I have to fog every room in the house individually, then come back after 4 hours or something and wash everything and vaccum everywhere?
Do you have to cover everything? and with that?

Have any of you been through this before?
What did you do?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,440,731 times
Buy pesticides, insecticides,hah

Old 09-27-2010, 08:53 PM

89 posts, read 189,397 times
My sister had this problem years ago. She had a dog at the time and went on vacation leaving the dog with a friend. I was house sitting and when I entered the house after the second day my white pants were covered. Even though the dog was gone the fleas left eggs that hatched in the warm weather. She turned the air conditioner off. She had to fumigate the entire house with the fumigators in the stores. This took care of the living fleas but not the eggs. She finally called an exterminator.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:36 PM

25,982 posts, read 22,176,776 times
Our son went camping once and brought back a wet tent which he put in the basement. Shortly after, we had an explosion of sand fleas - little black insects that were on all 3 levels of the house. I set off bug bombs on each floor and it took care of it. Absolutely horrible thing to have going on and relief of having them gone was unbelievable! Our dogs had fleas over the years but they did not end up taking over the house at any point.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:11 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,545,362 times
I have found BORAX to be both effective and safe as a flea remediation......this link provides instructions...it worked well for our house and cat...but you need to also treat the fleas on your pets...I find regular flea shampoo for cats and dogs to also be safe and effective...both solutions are more ecological and pet friendly.

How to Use Borax to Kill Fleas | eHow.com

Old 12-11-2010, 06:24 AM

288 posts, read 693,393 times
Somebody recommended this product to me which I believe is a natural product. I know nothing about it though so you would need to do some further research on it.

How to Kill Fleas With Diatomaceous Earth | eHow.com

Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade - Garden Harvest Supply Inc

I was also recommended to add some drops of Neem oil to my pet shampoo to deter any nasty bugs.

Hope that helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets