Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 05:36 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,393 times

Advertisements

I am toying with the idea of getting a gerbil or a hamster. I already have a 10 gal cage with a lid for him/her to live in. I was wondering which of these would make a better pet. If I have never had a rodent pet before, (well except for a pet rat that i had for a short while, that my cat was constantly after) What are some qualities of hamsters? Gerbils? Whose temperament do you like better? Do adults keep them as pets, or just kids who want a dog or cat but parents said no? Sorry if this thread is misplaced but could find no category for small furry rodents. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 12:49 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,296 times
We've had hamsters, dwarf hamsters and gerbils. I've found the Black Bear Hamsters to be the friendliest. I did luck out w/ my little Lacy. She picked me one day in a pet store. While all the others were sleeping, she was running back and forth for my attention. She was the sweetest little thing and loved being held. I could wake her from her sleep, and she was glad for me to pick her up. She recently died at the age of 4 yrs.

RIP, Lacy!

I prefer the little Russian Dwarf over the Chinese. Although, very cute, they tend to squirm more in your hand.

We also have a couple of gerbils that my daughter fell in love with. They are cute and friendly, but very fast and don't tend to sit still long. Here's a rare pic of one of them standing still.

I wouldn't use an aquarium, but would purchase a wire cage for better ventilation. We use Carefresh as bedding for the best absorbancy.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:20 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
I've had both. The gerbils got along with each other better, and they didn't have to be separated, based on my experience. They were great escape artists, however. Our Syrian hamsters were cute, but they were biters and fighters. They were pretty patient with my children, however, which is saying a lot. The Syrian hamsters cannot live together peacefully, although some would beg to differ.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:54 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
I had a pair of gerbils as a kid that we assumed were both female. This proved not to be the case when they delivered a litter. I decided I didn't like gerbils after the parents ate about 80% of the litter after three days.

To a certain extent rodents are rodents but I think that rats may actually be better pets than any of the above.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:52 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
I found Guinea pigs to be very affectionate and litter box users.
You might want to look into pygmy hedgehogs as well. They are very shy, but do not seem to like other pets thou.
We have ferrets right now. They are comical and very social. We had one girl who would jump on our dogs back and ride him like a horse, he is a toy poodle who loves his ferrets.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:45 AM

68 posts, read 200,306 times
I'd say go for the gerbil. I've had experience with both, and though some say gerbils aren't as cute, I think gerbils are smarter, more active & fun to watch, and they aren't as stinky. Bowian is right about their escape artistry, though - it's like owning a little Houdini, and they can get away from you fast when they're out of the cage.

As someone who owned and bred rodents for 15 years, I can't help but give a few essential words of advice, for no matter what you decide to do. Another poster suggested that you get a wire cage for better ventiliation and I would agree 100%. If you look in pet stores today, you'll see that habitats marketed for rodents are cages rather than tanks. Tanks get much smellier (even from the pet owner's standpoint), and it isn't good for the lttle guys' respiratory systems to be breathing their own waste all day. Since you made a point of saying in the OP that you already own a tank, it's pretty clear that you intend to use it - so just please, please, please don't use cedar or pine litter. It's terrible for little rodent lungs and sinuses. The best thing for them is the soft, unscented wood fiber litter that looks kind of like shredded cardboard, which is more comfortable for them as well. You'll be surprised how well that stuff handles odors. Especially if you get a gerbil, I'd also suggest getting a little potty for him, readily available in pet stores. Gerbils potty train pretty well (at least for feces).

I've noticed a little encouragement to get a rat, here. With all do respect to other posters, I'd strongly discourage you from getting a rat to put in a 10 gallon tank. It would be downright cruel. Rats are fantastic pets - I've had several who have been as intelligent/responsive as any dog and so well housetrained that they would go back to their cage from across the room when they had to relieve themselves - but rats need excellent ventilation to stay healthy and a lot of room and variety in their enclosure. The more popular rats have become as pets, the more vets and pet owners know about them - and current wisdom is that rats aren't in the same league as the smaller caged rodents. From what I've learned from years of ownership and involvement in many owner/breeder forums, the wrong enclosure can literally cut a rat's already too-short lifespan in half.

Finally, whatever you get, please get two of them. Rodents are social animals and live longer and happier lives with company. Pick two of the same gender and from the same source that don't seem to mind each other and you should be fine. Very often when small rodents do fight it's either because one was introduced to the habitat later than the other, they are bickering over food (which is not uncommon), or they don't have enough room for each to have enough of their own space (would you like being trapped in a little room with anyone for your whole life?). A pair of males will squabble more than females but it's generally harmless unless there's a female around. Some say males are more affectionate and interested in their human owners, but I have not found this to be true. Personality varies from animal to animal, of course.

Enjoy your new pet!

Last edited by sautille42; 08-27-2010 at 07:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets