Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 08:21 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Here's from the e-mail for Delta Amex gold I got today:

With the Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, you can also enjoy the following:
  • On top of earning 1 mile for eligible everyday purchases, you can earn up to 10,000 additional bonus miles each year with built-in Miles Boosts[SIZE=1]SM[/SIZE].[SIZE=1]7,8[/SIZE]
  • Double miles on Delta purchases.[SIZE=1]9[/SIZE]
  • For every 10,000 miles, you can get $100 off a Delta flight. Pay with Miles – an exclusive benefit for Cardmembers – allows you to pay for all or part of a Delta flight with miles.[SIZE=1]10[/SIZE]
  • Redeem your miles for car rentals, hotel stays and a variety of merchandise.[SIZE=1]11[/SIZE]
  • Receive a $99* Domestic Economy Class Companion Certificate each year when you renew your Card.
  • Unlimited $25 Delta Sky Club One-Visit Access – an exclusive benefit for Cardmembers.[SIZE=1]12[/SIZE]
  • Check your first bag for free on every Delta flight.
This offer won't last long.
I got that email as well. I usually just ignore these kinds of offers, but this one seems really quite good. I guess in the case of this Gold card, the annual fee is $95 rather than $125 and is waived for the first year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 10:03 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Amex cards are over-rated and they LOVE to run credit checks on you throughout the year and adjust your credit limit up or down accordingly. They are junk in my eyes....I get many offers from them and always rip up the letter and mail it back to them in their pre-postage return envelope.

They do credit checks just like any other credit card (considered a soft inquiry and does not affect your credit score). I haven't had my credit limit decreased; I had it increased a year after I had the card for $3k more.
I do the Blue Cash card; it may be different if your experience was with a different card.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:36 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Amex cards are over-rated and they LOVE to run credit checks on you throughout the year and adjust your credit limit up or down accordingly. They are junk in my eyes....I get many offers from them and always rip up the letter and mail it back to them in their pre-postage return envelope.
Try this - -

Use a black felt pen, circle your name and address, then print REMOVE FROM ALL MARKETING LISTS IMMEDIATELY on the form.

Then
mail it back to them with their postage

Old 06-18-2010, 02:23 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,001 times
I love my amex card. I paid for my bedroom funiture from Pottery barn with the points. I also paid for my last vacation with them. It gives a great year end summary that helps with taxes. I use it for everything and pay the balance off each month.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:38 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
You get the Amex Gold Card's features and the features of any other card your interested in. Check what is importatnt to you and cross off what is not. When you are finished which card had the features you want and is it worth the annual fee? You do the same thing for buying a car, TV, phone, food, pickinga vacation spot, buying an airline ticket, etc, etc,. This is not some complex financial thingy, just use common sense.

If it works for you and is right, do it. If it's not and some other card is better, get that card.
Yep it's as simple as that!

I have an Amex Platinum which makes sense for me to use as a business card. I think its $450.00 per year. I have a job that requires a lot of travel, and the fact that the card admits me into almost all of the private airport clubs for free, bumps me up to gold level for some hotels, and insures the car when I rent one makes it worthwhile. If I change to a different job without all the travel, the card would no longer make sense for me.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:26 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,909 times
Decided to take Amex up on their offer for a Skymiles Gold card. I've been very happy with their customer service on my business card, so I guess it's worth trying a personal card.

The $95 annual fee has been waived for the first year. I do a moderate amount of travel for personal and business reasons, so the benefits seem to be worth paying the fee.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:16 PM

261 posts, read 1,515,878 times
If anyone has an Amex Gold card and are considering cancelling it because of the annual fee, you may want to consider the option of changing over to another American express card that does not have a fee. They will let you do this and it does not require them to pull your credit again, and it doesnt hurt your credit since you wont be closing the account. Amex customer service offered this option to me when I was considering to cancel my card. I actually did not cancel or change over from the Gold card because of the open line (no limit on what I can charge/buy). I have my own business and so if tomorrow I want to go out and buy $20K, $30K, or $50K of products, I can do that with my Amex Gold. I wont be able to do that with Mastercard/Visa unless they give me that much of a credit line.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
"They don't take American Express". I went on a trip with a friend a couple years ago, and she said she would pay for everything with her AmEx card, and I should reimburse her for my share of the expenses. She wanted the points or miles or whatever. We never found anyplace, no hotel, no restaurants, no gas stations, nothing, that accepted American Express. I think she got to use the card maybe twice on the whole trip.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:43 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
"They don't take American Express". I went on a trip with a friend a couple years ago, and she said she would pay for everything with her AmEx card, and I should reimburse her for my share of the expenses. She wanted the points or miles or whatever. We never found anyplace, no hotel, no restaurants, no gas stations, nothing, that accepted American Express. I think she got to use the card maybe twice on the whole trip.
Many places no longer accept AMEX. I had a gold card for 30+ years and cancelled it because of the yearly fee and changed to the Blue AMEX which has no yearly fee. Only reason I keep AMEX is it's the only card I can use at Costco.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:22 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Customer service is generally a lot better. There are probably other perks (especially travel-related) that are better than with your visa. There's a certain prestige that comes with Amex Gold.

It's up to you to decide whether it's worth $125 a year, especially when there are plenty of businesses that don't take Amex (most do, but some still take only Visa and MC).

I use Amex for my business and love it, but I carry only MC and Visa as personal cards. If I my personal cards were to ever institute annual fees, I'd almost certainly switch to Amex, as the rewards and customer service are superior.
Why would anyone wish to pay $125 annually for "excellent customer service"? Wouldn't that $125 be better used for savings, investing or retirement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance