Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 04:17 PM

5 posts, read 46,913 times

Advertisements

I have been working at a bar for about 4 years and the owners avoid paying taxes at all cost. With this being said i think that you can put together that i get paid under the table. I told them that i need some record of a job because i dont want to get screwed if someone comes asking questions.... well someone IS asking questions now because i am trying to buy a house but dont have enough proof of income. Im willing to pay the taxes on the money ive made i just dont know how to or if it is even possible. Surely the irs wont turn down money if i try to give it to them. Any sugestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 04:38 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,243,070 times
You've got a handfull of issues to deal with.

1) Your employer needs to issue you a W-2 to reflect what they're paying you per hour, which also opens up the issues of Workman's Comp and Unemployment Insurance for which they are liable.

2) Your employer is also on the hook for payment of your FICA taxes, via their contribution matching your deductions.

3) It is customary in your trade to estimate the amount of tips you are expected to receive. The IRS can actually audit the books of your employer and make a determination as to how much tip income in cash you are receiving. Absent any other documentation, this is the amount that you will be required to declare and pay income taxes on. Sometimes you'll find that the IRS is a bit aggressive about your tip income, and sometimes not. But if your employer isn't keeping track from simple things like tips added on to CC charge tabs, or tracking the cash tips at the bar ... you could be liable for a lot of back taxes when the IRS walks in to assess the situation ... as will your employer.

You are clearly not an independent contractor working at a bar. Your employer has legal obligations to you and the IRS (and your state income tax dept, as well as employee protection) that must be addressed. Unless you can pay cash for your house, you'd better get your employer to pony up.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:41 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,801,503 times
If you want to claim that income for the last 4 years, you're going to have to pay some penalties. Once you've given them some proof, the IRS may decide to investigate your boss and throw him in prison for a while.

Talk with a good tax attorney before you approach the IRS.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:12 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,857,146 times
Sterlingirl wrote;
Quote:
Once you've given them some proof, the IRS may decide to investigate your boss and throw him in prison for a while.
And rightly so. Your employer has been SCREWING the rest of us for at least the last 4 years.

Quote:
Talk with a good tax attorney before you approach the IRS.
Best advice ANYONE has given on C-D this month. You already know that you're dealing with a SNAKE, who is willing to jack with the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. Anyone willing to take on those with unlimited resources is more than willing to lie, cheat and steal to put the onus on YOU.

golfgod

Old 01-24-2010, 11:24 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,273,236 times
Thumbs down BAD idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cth1086 View Post
I have been working at a bar for about 4 years and the owners avoid paying taxes at all cost. With this being said i think that you can put together that i get paid under the table. I told them that i need some record of a job because i dont want to get screwed if someone comes asking questions.... well someone IS asking questions now because i am trying to buy a house but dont have enough proof of income. Im willing to pay the taxes on the money ive made i just dont know how to or if it is even possible. Surely the irs wont turn down money if i try to give it to them. Any sugestions?
As someone who has been audited by the IRS myself, You are surely making a mistake. Believe it or not, you could easily go to jail over this for tax evasion, as could your employer too. Your best option is to forget about buying a house unless you plan on looking for other employment. I assume you are either renting a house or apartment at the current time. I would continue doing so.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:12 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,451,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cth1086 View Post
You need 40 quarters to qualify for social security.

In addition to your income tax problems, you have effectively lost 4 years credit towards your social security. That's 16 quarters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance