Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 03:39 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,952,609 times

Advertisements

My husband gets around a ~$25,000/year salary for remote IT work from a business that is based in Florida. This past May, we moved from Florida to California. Does anyone know if he's going to have to pay state income tax to California, although we have only lived in the state for 7 months of 2009? If so, do we only pay the tax on wages from the months we were residents of California? FYI--in case anyone didn't know, Florida doesn't have state income tax.

If it changes anything, I don't think that the company he works for changed that he now lives in CA (other than the fact our check gets sent here), as I saw on his W2 the address is still FL.

PS--we have an LLC as well that we'll be paying taxes for, but this is additional personal income (not affiliated with/taxed through our business).

...and yes, I'll eventually have an accountant do this, I'm just curious right now and I can't seem to find the answer online.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 07:08 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,178,553 times
You will be considered part-year residents of California and yes, you will be liable for state income tax on income earned while residing in California. You will need to file a part year resident return.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:57 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,221,457 times
As janetvj indicated, you will have to file "part year resident" returns in California for the portions of income earned while resident. Whether the employers address is in Florida or not is irrelevant. I moved to Arizona from Ohio in September 2007. I had to file an Ohio return for Jan-Aug and an Arizona return for Sept-Dec. (My employers "address" on my pay and so forth has always been Ohio. I voluntarily relocated to our Arizona office.)

Old 01-22-2010, 12:13 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,952,609 times
Thanks everyone! You all confirmed my suspicion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance