Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 12:42 PM

89,127 posts, read 85,767,866 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about taking out a personal loan from my credit union to pay off about $4000 in credit card debt, the reason being that the loan rate is a lesser percentage than the credit card rates.

However, I'm also looking to buy a condo this year and don't want to mess up my credit score by taking on "new debt", even though it would just be a transfer of the existing debt. I've got a pre-approval from a bank based on my income and credit score. At the same time I am trying to save for the down payment for a 3.5% FHA mortgage.

I've been knocking down my credit card debt over the past six months, but the rates are so high--two of the cards' rates are in the 20+% range. I hate paying all that interest. I've asked them to lower the rates, but one said "not at this time" and the other didn't lower my rate but turned around and raised my limit by $4000.

I am not using the credit cards and the goal is to be cc-debt free.

So how badly would this move affect my credit score and a mortgage approval?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 12:44 PM

6,981 posts, read 11,013,163 times
You could go to the credit simulator on creditkarma.com and enter in what you plan to do. It will give you an estimate of your new credit score with the change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance