Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 07:02 PM

65 posts, read 236,062 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm really thinking about refinancing my auto loan and add my credit card debt. I owe 7k on my car and have about 6,500 in cc debt i would like to add into the car loan. Do you think the lenders/banks will work with me on this?
Has anyone ever thought of this or even tried this? I know it would most likely cause my payments to increase which is fine if im able to pay off my cc debt with a lower interest rate. My car blue-book out with a value of 10k or so.

Im going to start looking and just posting for feedback/suggestions.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 09:00 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,439,138 times
Won't work.

If your car is worth $10K you MIGHT be able to finance the $7K you owe on it but NOT MORE. The things that are CRUCIAL is what is your current RATE and what kind of credit SCORES do you have?

A car loan rate of about 7% or less is pretty good. If your credit score is above 650 you MIGHT be able to do better, but if you have less than 30 months or so to pay you are going to have a hard time making a refi work.

The $6500 in CC debt might be something to think of separately, and frankly I would be VERY CAREFUL about it right now. If you are making payment of more than the minimum and have a good rate (basically any CC debt at 15% interest or less is pretty good right now) it easiest just pay it down. Too many people end up paying ridiculous fees attempting to get a rate that is not really worth any transaction fees. Depending on how good deal you get AND HOW CLEARLY THE FEES ARE DISCLOSED you might be in the range where trying to do pretty much anything is going to cost more than you save. Ironically if you owed far more the interest rates could potentially be much more important and if you owed less you would probably be close to the just the minimum or maybe even "no fee" transfers" but generally lenders try to limit those to folks that owe less than $5K...

Old 11-10-2009, 09:40 AM

870 posts, read 2,111,544 times
I'd be surprised if you find any lender that will give you a cash-out refi on an auto loan. So many lenders got into trouble doing this with the housing market, so why would they want to do so on a known depreciating asset? Why would you want to do this, anyway? You'd be trading unsecured debt for secured debt. If you can swing higher payments right now, go ahead and make those extra payments to the credit card company.

I can understand your overall desire (pay off debt with lower interest rate), but that is only beneficial if any new loan you managed to get doesn't raise the interest rate you're currently paying on the car. If that rises, too, it eats into a lot if not all of the savings on the credit card debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance